Radio presenters that don't seem to like each other

RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is thanks to the other thread about Mayo/Tarrant.

I remember seeing Tony Blackburn on Countdown being asked by Des O'Connor about the success of Terry Wogan's use of emails on his then breakfast show, I didn't get the impression they liked each other then. And later I seemed to remember Tony Blackburn defending something he wrote about Wogan in a newspaper, which he took the wrong way.

Any other examples?

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is thanks to the other thread about Mayo/Tarrant.

I remember seeing Tony Blackburn on Countdown being asked by Des O'Connor about the success of Terry Wogan's use of emails on his then breakfast show, I didn't get the impression they liked each other then. And later I seemed to remember Tony Blackburn defending something he wrote about Wogan in a newspaper, which he took the wrong way.

Any other examples?
    Moyles/Vaughan
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone/DLT
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Moyles/Vaughan
    Vaughan/Van Outen. ;)

I think with Moyles it's just as much a part of his act. Would be interesting to hear examples from presenters who don't come across like that.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,801
    Forum Member
    I am sure that John Peel & Tony Blackburn didn't get on as they were chalk and cheese at Radio 1 (Tony being the cheese of course)

However I think their relationship warmed before Peel's death.

I also read somewhere that Tony didn't get on with Roger Scott. Roger's departure from Capital almost coincided with Tony's arrival at Capital Gold.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moyles and Bacon had a bit of a spat after Bacon allowed Billy Bailey to basically wreck the plug Moyles had on 5live. Moyles then on his show said he didn't think Bacon controlled him very well and Bacon lashed out on his twitter about it saying something about Moyles.
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kev Lawrence and Laura Pittson
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I am sure that John Peel & Tony Blackburn didn't get on as they were chalk and cheese at Radio 1 (Tony being the cheese of course)

I also read somewhere that Tony didn't get on with Roger Scott. Roger's departure from Capital almost coincided with Tony's arrival at Capital Gold.

Someone did say Blackburn and Tom Watt didn't get on
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know of one public spat regarding two ex R1 Dj's, and one who now works for R2... I let some of you find that one out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Blackburn keeps coming up. He seems so nice.
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why Blackburn keeps coming up. He seems so nice.

And he reads these forums:eek:

However I think his cheesy style may be the main issue with more serious music DJ's. I think that was the main Blackburn/Peel issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there were a lot of spats in the Radio 1 gang during the 70's and 80's. I guess it's the working conditions they were in..

I would expect this has slightly been ironed out now. You can't expect to go public on the Radio and slag people off now. Lawyers and Ofcom would be down on them like a ton of bricks...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he reads these forums:eek:

However I think his cheesy style may be the main issue with more serious music DJ's. I think that was the main Blackburn/Peel issue.
    But that wouldn't be a reason not to like someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Moyles/Vaughan

Moyles dosn't mention him anymore. Maybe been told to stop it..
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Lester and Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2 - It's interesting that Alex never forward promoted Sarah's show after his, but he does now with Vanessa Feltz! ;)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Or isn't worried about the competition anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »

I recall Moyles saying on air that he tried to bury the hatchet and once requested to meet Johnny Vaughan at an event they were both at or something, but Vaughan refused to see him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Peel and Simon Bates:

PS. Tony Blackburn my be enjoying this thread - Hi Tony ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was, because Alex Lester had to stand-in for Sarah Kennedy at a drop of a hat...

Didn't Ken Bruce fall out with Sarah Kennedy over something she said about him?

Didn't Fran Godfrey fall out with Terry Wogan over something that happen on WU2W on Radio 2?

I met Adrian Juste at out Local Hospital Radio where he was asked to do a one off show. I mentioned a couple of his R1 collegues, and the impression he gave, he didn't really like them.
    Forum Member
    But that wouldn't be a reason not to like someone.

It's possible. Remember Radio 1 in the 70's ? It was a jostle to be top dog, each DJ wanted to be the BIG name at the station. Blackburn & Peel were total opposites, you had Tony the cheesey housewives favourite and John, the serious music man.

I'm not saying they hated each other, just don't think they got on whilst at Radio 1 and they probably didn't meet that often as they were on at completely different times of the day.
    Forum Member
    dapa wrote: »
    I recall Moyles saying on air that he tried to bury the hatchet and once requested to meet Johnny Vaughan at an event they were both at or something, but Vaughan refused to see him.

That actually ties up with Vaughan's refusal to bury the hatchett with Denise van Outen. Maybe he carries a grudge:confused:
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Diamond and Tommy Boyd when they did the breakfast show on LBC.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit more about John Peel and Tony Blackburn

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Tony_Blackburn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

Blackburn and Ed Stewart is another one.
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

Good link. John describing Tony as the "Anti-Christ of British Radio"
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

There was a bit of gossip in the press that Roger Scott said he'd leave Capital if Tony Blackburn joined the station. Roger had been on the experimental frequency split on CFM at the weekends and Tony was due to start the breakfast show on Capital Gold AM in 1988.

I don't know if he actually left due to Tony joining, but, Roger had by then become disillusioned with commercial radio's obsession with profit as the bottom line.