Could, would Hodgson drop all the old failures?

13»

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roy will pick what he considers to be the best squad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    ...No-one is expecting England to win this tournament, so let's give people experience?
    A crazy thought occurred to me that maybe all tournaments could be approached in that way. We had a school tour of Belgium (not all of it). It was a great laugh: P3 W1 D1 L1 I think it was. First game we'd just come off the ferry, half of us had cramp, the other half weren't sober yet. More seriously, without the media, the players would 'just enjoy it' and probably do well. I know the media pays their wages in many ways but that's in their capacity as club players. Maybe we could just 'follow the team' and be 'supporters' when it comes to England.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest the FA have just appointed a yes man..After the Fabio Capello mess. The FA couldn’t put anyone in charge that may rock the sinking FA boat.

I’m not saying that RH is not experienced enough to do the England job but it's becoming obvious to me that Harry was by-passed because of his court case...Was Harry the man for the job ?..Don’t think we will ever know...I do think with the euros just around the corner and the team not expected to do much in the completion the FA have missed the chance to appoint a younger manager
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Yes man' is such an empty criticism. Is there any basis for it at all?
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    To be honest the FA have just appointed a yes man..After the Fabio Capello mess. The FA couldn’t put anyone in charge that may rock the sinking FA boat.

I’m not saying that RH is not experienced enough to do the England job but it's becoming obvious to me that Harry was by-passed because of his court case...Was Harry the man for the job ?..Don’t think we will ever know...I do think with the euros just around the corner and the team not expected to do much in the completion the FA have missed the chance to appoint a younger manager

Hope you don't mean Harry as he is actually 6 months OLDER than Roy:)
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »

If I agree I fear I'd open myself up to censure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ok maybe yes man is a bit harsh

But you must admit ..He's the cheaper option..minimum compensation if they did need to sack him..the FA once again have screwed up/
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you must admit ..He's the cheaper option..minimum compensation if they did need to sack him..the FA once again have screwed up/

But why does 'cheaper' mean wrong?

What is it about Harry Redknapp's undeniably less impressive CV or lack of experience outside the south of England that, in your view, made him so ridiculously head and shoulders above Hodgson?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    But why does 'cheaper' mean wrong?

What is it about Harry Redknapp's undeniably less impressive CV or lack of experience outside the south of England that, in your view, made him so ridiculously head and shoulders above Hodgson?

As I said earlier..I'm not sure if Rednapp would have been the correct man for the job..and we will probably never know now if he was...Rednapp would have the backing of the players as he's had at every club he's managed...Maybe Rednapp is a to stronger of chracter for the FA...just like Clough was.

cheaper as in wrong..maybe I'm wrong on this fact..but I certainly think the FA have left the door slightly open on this appointment..I think that if Hodgson gets it drastically wrong in the Euros he will be gone...
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

cheaper as in wrong..maybe I'm wrong on this fact..but I certainly think the FA have left the door slightly open on this appointment..I think that if Hodgson gets it drastically wrong in the Euros he will be gone...

There is NO WAY he will be gone after the Euros that would be an absolute joke!

The thing is if Harry had got the job there would have been all the hype and hysteria but if things didn't start well it would be -

"What has he won anyway?"
    "What European experience did he have to deserve the job?"
    "His success is based on transfer dealings"

etc etc.

The fact is its dead easy to find things to use to have a go at the England manager regardless of who it is.
  • Jaly77Jaly77 Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Hodgson is the safe choice. Nice guy, international experience, good overall record, gets on well with players, consistent. What's the issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    There is NO WAY he will be gone after the Euros that would be an absolute joke!

The thing is if Harry had got the job there would have been all the hype and hysteria but if things didn't start well it would be -

"What has he won anyway?"
    "What European experience did he have to deserve the job?"
    "His success is based on transfer dealings"

etc etc.

The fact is its dead easy to find things to use to have a go at the England manager regardless of who it is.

Im not saying Rednapp should have got it...I just think with it being so close to the euros and were not expected to do that much..then the FA missed the chance to name a young manager

Dont ask me who as I dont have a clue to be honest...Only names I can think of is AVB and Pep Guardiola..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaly77 wrote: »
    Hodgson is the safe choice. Nice guy, international experience, good overall record, gets on well with players, consistent. What's the issue?

IMO hes a mid table manager now..NOT an International manager

And I do hope I eat my words
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Screwed up by not spunking a load of cash on someone purely because the press have manufactured his reputation as the people's champion?

Can't agree at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screwed up by not spunking a load of cash on someone purely because the press have manufactured his reputation as the people's champion?

Can't agree at all.

Screwed up by not spunking a load of money on someone..you have to pay for the best..and they havent done either.

Can I add on couple of posts I have said i hope I eat my words...but somethiong is telling me we are about to enter in to one of English football disasters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to pay for the best, you have to pay for the most contracted. There's very little to suggest Redknapp is in any way the better choice, apart from empty rhetoric about how players like him. Whoop-de-doo, that's what you want, a boy's club.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem in Roy moving on some players but he shouldn't do it just for the sake of it. He must make sure the replacements are better.
    Having watched the likes of Smalling and Jones recently I can't say I am convinced they are better than Terry and Rio. However taking the latter two will just create a media circus so probably best both left behind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to pay for the best, you have to pay for the most contracted. There's very little to suggest Redknapp is in any way the better choice, apart from empty rhetoric about how players like him. Whoop-de-doo, that's what you want, a boy's club.

I never said Rednapp would be better I also stated he would gain the respect of the players...and IMO I dont think Hodgson will in the same way

Whoop-de-doo...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget throwing the rolleyes around, what makes you say Redknapp would gain the respect that Hodgson couldn't? This is all he seems to have going for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget throwing the rolleyes around, what makes you say Redknapp would gain the respect that Hodgson couldn't? This is all he seems to have going for him.

Again IMO which I'm entitled to on an open forum..I dont think Hodgson is the right man. Over the previous years again IMO Rednapp has handled bigger players that Hodgson and they have both taken on big jobs in the two years...one failed the other didnt....but again IMO..I wouldnt have gone for either of them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody's saying you can't have your 'O', it's just not beyond expectation to explain it at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody's saying you can't have your 'O', it's just not beyond expectation to explain it at the same time.

My last line in my previous post ...I wouldnt of had either of them..I would have gone for a far younger manager
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you maybe want to re-think your post?

The "Old Guard" are some of the most decorated players in British football. The idea that they dont try or dont care is ridiculous. They are still playing at the top level for their club in arguably more demanding environments. Maybe need to look a wee bit deeper as to why England arent a huge success and never have been rather than blame on the last small crop of guys who were actually any good.

john terry said in a interview he would rather win the fa cup & champions league with chelsea than win the euros with england!! what does that tell u??
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    john terry said in a interview he would rather win the fa cup & champions league with chelsea than win the euros with england!! what does that tell u??

That he would rather have two medals than one.

99% of footballers would say the same it was a stupid question in the first place, and you could see he thought the same by his reaction to it.
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That he would rather have two medals than one.

99% of footballers would say the same it was a stupid question in the first place, and you could see he thought the same by his reaction to it.

But why not wanna win all 3 medals!??? ;):D LOL