Options

Believe in ......

gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
Forum Member
Middle of this week's Radio Times - quote "TV is taking over the world " unquote and then the Ad rabbits on about new programmes on -guess what- Sky. Humility personified. Typical!!! Come on BBC and ITV where are all your new progs!

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss this bit on the front of that 16-page pullout:

"Sky Entertainment Special in association with RadioTimes"

So I guess that it's a relatively expensive bit of promotional advertising from Sky designed to showcase its programming.

Should both ITV and the BBC spend such sums on a similar promotion? I'm not convinced (even though they do have new programmes).
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably these BSkyB pull-outs are an example of the Radio Times Promise to "cherish its editorial integrity and independence".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably these BSkyB pull-outs are an example of the Radio Times Promise to "cherish its editorial integrity and independence".

Seeing as it is no longer owned by BBC Worldwide, and seeing as it has to attract advertising in order to keep a reasonable cover price and to survive, I really cannot blame them. And after all, Sky is a major broadcaster (and features quite heavily in the listing pages).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Seeing as it is no longer owned by BBC Worldwide, and seeing as it has to attract advertising in order to keep a reasonable cover price and to survive, I really cannot blame them. And after all, Sky is a major broadcaster (and features quite heavily in the listing pages).
    I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was a clear advertisement supplement without Radio Times branding. The RT branding can easily be interpreted as endorsement.

I don't like it being referred to as "Hot New TV" on the Radio Times cover, either. That again suggests editorial endorsement and doesn't make clear the pull-out is an advert.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was a clear advertisement supplement without Radio Times branding. The RT branding can easily be interpreted as endorsement.

I don't like it being referred to as "Hot New TV" on the Radio Times cover, either. That again suggests editorial endorsement and doesn't make clear the pull-out is an advert.

Again, as has been explained. It is not owned by the BBC, but a private company. They can put whatever they want on the cover(within reason) and endorse whatever they want.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    gladysbach wrote: »
    Come on BBC and ITV where are all your new progs!
    Pretty sure that certainly the BBC, and probably ITV actually make more new UK-sourced "new programmes" than Sky. (And sport doesn't count!)
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main concern with Radio Times is that the price keeps rising yet the quality dosen't - how much longer am I having to skip pages just to avoid the biased views of that viloe woman Alison Graham.
  • Options
    gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Oops - wrong end of the stick everyone! Sorry if I didn't get my point across. Nothing to do with Radio Times - just the location. I was pointing out the "humble" approach Sky takes to advertising .
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, as has been explained. It is not owned by the BBC, but a private company. They can put whatever they want on the cover(within reason) and endorse whatever they want.
    Again, my point is missed. My point was they risk damaging their beloved "editorial integrity and independence" in the process.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Middle of this week's Radio Times - quote "TV is taking over the world " unquote and then the Ad rabbits on about new programmes on -guess what- Sky. Humility personified. Typical!!! Come on BBC and ITV where are all your new progs!

Its a Sky paid for advert insert, anyone can see that, and the BBC cant waste money like Sky on advertising in papers. Its worth Sky doing it as they get very low viewing figures, and need viewers to gain advertising income.
    Come on BBC and ITV where are all your new progs

Call the Midwife, Silk, Musketeers. Jonathan Creek, Death in Paradise. George Gently, We have just had Sherlock, Silent Witness. etc etc etc.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops - wrong end of the stick everyone! Sorry if I didn't get my point across. Nothing to do with Radio Times - just the location. I was pointing out the "humble" approach Sky takes to advertising .
    :confused::confused::confused:

Yes, if you believe in better and that not all tv is created equal then the place you go to isn't Sky.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you mean brand new programmes ? I mean there are new series of existing programmes which are popular and there are new ones as well, they cannot have just new ones.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Again, my point is missed. My point was they risk damaging their beloved "editorial integrity and independence" in the process.
    No they don't. It was a paid-for insert. Nothing more.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    ..... Its worth Sky doing it as they get very low viewing figures, and
    need viewers to gain advertising income.
    No they don't - BSkyB have a more than adequate income from their (outrageously high) subscription rates.

They carry advertising

a) to plunder the 'pot' on which others depend almost entirely, and thus weaken their FTA competitors
    and
    b) to 'fill' more than 15 minutes of every hour and thus reduce the programme acquisition costs, substantially.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    No they don't - BSkyB have a more than adequate income from their (outrageously high) subscription rates.

They carry advertising

a) to plunder the 'pot' on which others depend almost entirely, and thus weaken their FTA competitors
    and
    b) to 'fill' more than 15 minutes of every hour and thus reduce the programme acquisition costs, substantially.

What's your opinion on the Licence Fee funded BBC being involved in FTA broadcasting that carries advertising? I believe BBC Worldwide owns 50% of 4 channels currently on Freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on the Licence Fee funded BBC being involved in FTA broadcasting that carries advertising?
    I might have an opinion if it were true - but it isn't.

Are you asking me if I have an opinion about the BBC having subsidiary commercial ventures that are separate from the Licence funded activities?

I have many and varied opinions on those subsidiary commercial activities that are not subsidised by the Licence Fee but help to supplement its income.

I have strong views on the prime minister and her lap-dog DG who pushed the Corporation in the commercial direction which resulted in such activities as 'out-sourcing' and BBC Ventures.

I equally have a view that Michael Grade needs to do a little catching up, as, it seems, does the current DG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might have an opinion if it were true - but it isn't.

Are you asking me if I have an opinion about the BBC having subsidiary commercial ventures that are separate from the Licence funded activities?

I have many and varied opinions on those subsidiary commercial activities that are not subsidised by the Licence Fee but help to supplement its income.

I have strong views on the prime minister and her lap-dog DG who pushed the Corporation in the commercial direction which resulted in such activities as 'out-sourcing' and BBC Ventures.

I equally have a view that Michael Grade needs to do a little catching up, as, it seems, does the current DG.

I see, thanks.

I found it interesting you didn't quote my words relating to BBC Worldwide but of course that's your prerogative :)

Personally I have no objection to BSkyB selling advertising, or BBC Worldwide's commercial free to air ventures either.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member

They carry advertising

and

Most broadcasters rely on more than one source of income. eg ITV relies on a mix of advertising, sponsorship, programme sales and....oh yes subscription income from Sky!

Same goes for Channel 4 and Channel 5.

It is similarly just one form of income for Sky, if not their main one. Without it those subscription costs would be higher.

Would you suggest that other broadcasters be limited in where they can draw their income from (eg the BBC can only have licence fee income but not income from BBC Worldwide's commercial ventures or other merchandising or rights etc etc) or is it just the usual myopic anti-Sky nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it interesting you didn't quote my words relating to BBC Worldwide but of course that's your prerogative :).
    BBC Worldwide receives no LF funding, so surely the point is largely irrelevant?

However, as an external (and very buoyant) market exists (and as very often, overseas commercial entities are also involved in joint ventures), and as the LF-funded BBC cannot participate in that market, then there has to be some commercially-active entity that does. Hence BBC Worldwide.

But how has this once-innocent thread seemingly morphed into yet another BBC/LF funding discussion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found it interesting you didn't quote my words relating to BBC Worldwide but of course that's your prerogative :)
    I tend not to quote entire posts when I respond in the very next post!

I think it unnecessarily repetitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    BBC Worldwide receives no LF funding, so surely the point is largely irrelevant?

However, as an external (and very buoyant) market exists (and as very often, overseas commercial entities are also involved in joint ventures), and as the LF-funded BBC cannot participate in that market, then there has to be some commercially-active entity that does. Hence BBC Worldwide.

But how has this once-innocent thread seemingly morphed into yet another BBC/LF funding discussion?

Not really when the income from such commercial activities is channeled into a licence fee funded operation and in particular into the highest funded free to air channel in the UK in BBC One.

The poster I asked the question to objected to a subscription television broadcaster running commercials as it damages existing commercial FTA services whose only income comes from advertising. If that is objectionable then dosen't it follow that a licence fee funded broadcaster shouldn't benefit from the income of commercial FTA services as that too is surely damaging to commercial FTA services whose only income is from running adverts?

I would have thought so, personally. But as I said I don't object to BSkyB or BBC Worldwide running commercials on their channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Would you suggest that other broadcasters be limited in where they can draw their income from .....
    No, certainly not those fulfilling a public service remit imposed upon them by the will of Parliament.
    ..... or is it just the usual myopic anti-Sky nonsense.
    Sky Television and BSkyB have a long history of alleged 'dirty tricks' against perceived competitors -
    why is it 'myopic' to report on that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky Television and BSkyB have a long history of alleged 'dirty tricks' against perceived competitors -
    why is it 'myopic' to report on that?

It isn't but then you weren't alleging or reporting such "dirty tricks".....unless you think that Sky carrying advertising fits that description.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, certainly not those fulfilling a public service remit imposed upon them by the will the of Parliament.

So any form of income is fair game for PSBs but not for subscription channels? Even though they are perfectly entitled to draw income from advertising as well as subscription in the same way that newspapers can draw income from advertising etc in addition to their cover price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The poster I asked the question to objected to a subscription television broadcaster running commercials as it damages existing commercial FTA services whose only income comes from advertising.
    Yes I did, and I should have made it clear that I meant statutory PSB broadcasters, i.e. channel 3 licensees,
    Channel Four Television Corporation's single PSB service and Five (or whatever its called this week) -

they are the targets, in my 'myopic' view, of subscription broadcasters, by a long way.