Anyone had a Cataracts Operation ?

mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have to have one operation soon quite nervous then the other eye, want it done as my sight is very bad, and have ipad screen enlarged to the max to read and type now.

Anyone had it done? Is it too bad or painful ? Please be honest, and does it make a world of difference I can't believe I will at last see well again, my optician assured me I will :)
But would like to hear from someone who has had it done ....
Thanks xx

Comments

• NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother had one of her eyes done a few weeks ago.

She was very nervous but it is a very stress-free - and pain-free - process. She felt a little 'pressure' occasionally but she couldn't actually 'see' what was going on because everything was blurred (eye drops in eyes, maybe? she can't remember) everyone around her was very reassuring and kind and she was able to see again straight after the operation. She had eyedrops for a week or so plus she wasn't supposed to bend down to pick anything up, or rub the eye, etc, but she could see to read again once she was back from the hospital.

She can't wait to get the second eye done in a couple of weeks. She's 90. You'll be fine, Mocha-Latte. :)
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

She was very nervous but it is a very stress-free - and pain-free - process. She felt a little 'pressure' occasionally but she couldn't actually 'see' what was going on because everything was blurred (eye drops in eyes, maybe? she can't remember) everyone around her was very reassuring and kind and she was able to see again straight after the operation. She had eyedrops for a week or so plus she wasn't supposed to bend down to pick anything up, or rub the eye, etc, but she could see to read again once she was back from the hospital.

She can't wait to get the second eye done in a couple of weeks. She's 90. You'll be fine, Mocha-Latte. :)

Hi, thank you oh sounds promising :) and quite straight forward, I can't wait to see clearly again, and excited to hear it's right away, thank you so much that's what I needed to hear
    Pleased your Mother is making good progress :) at 90 too, aww Bless her.
    Ml xx
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    I've had both done, first one went better than the second - first was done with local anaesthetic round the eye (feels like they are injecting IN the eyeball, but it's down the side of it), this freezes the eye and you can't move it.

Second one was done a good few months afterwards, and was done just with drops - this means you have to try and keep the eye still.

The second eye has never had very good vision since, and I also suffered a retinal detachment as well, a few months later.

But I can recommend it, it completely changed my life - I was rapidly heading towards not been able to function. I would strongly suggest local anaesthetic rather than drops!.

One word of advice - when they say "these drops 'may' hurt a little", that means it WILL :D
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH had her's done 3 or 4 years ago. Both went fine and her sight improvement was startling, particularly where brightness of colour was concerned. However, it started deteriorating again and she had to have some laser treatment to clear some debris from inside the eyes. Apparently this is quite a common follow-up requirement after a couple of years.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had both done, first one went better than the second - first was done with local anaesthetic round the eye (feels like they are injecting IN the eyeball, but it's down the side of it), this freezes the eye and you can't move it.

Second one was done a good few months afterwards, and was done just with drops - this means you have to try and keep the eye still.

The second eye has never had very good vision since, and I also suffered a retinal detachment as well, a few months later.

But I can recommend it, it completely changed my life - I was rapidly heading towards not been able to function. I would strongly suggest local anaesthetic rather than drops!.

One word of advice - when they say "these drops 'may' hurt a little", that means it WILL :D

Had one done two years ago, unfortunately there is a problem, the 'old' lens has decided to go cloudy so they are going to use laser treatment to fix that, the other eye has a cataract and hopefully they will do that one soon afterwards.
    Regarding the BIB, they didn't use drops with me they injected just under my left eye to 'freeze' the eye, can only describe the actual operation as having your eye washed with warm water, everything is blurred but seem to recall the operation only took about 15 mins, honestly no pain during or afterwards.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Had one done two years ago, unfortunately there is a problem, the 'old' lens has decided to go cloudy so they are going to use laser treatment to fix that,...
    Yes, I think that is the same as I was describing. It worked.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »

Went to see the Optician end of June, referred to eye hospital within 4 days, they cannot do the laser treatment until 4th September, the 'cloudy' eye is annoying me worse than the one with the cataract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies everyone xx
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »

I've had one lasered as well, it needs doing in about 50% of cases, and the time scale varies.

Incidentally, the drops they put in after the laser DON'T sting, and they don't warn you they 'might' :D
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to have one operation soon quite nervous then the other eye, want it done as my sight is very bad, and have ipad screen enlarged to the max to read and type now.

Anyone had it done? Is it too bad or painful ? Please be honest, and does it make a world of difference I can't believe I will at last see well again, my optician assured me I will :)
    But would like to hear from someone who has had it done ....
    Thanks xx

I had my right eye done in 2005, I was terrified but I'm terrified of hospitals anyway, as far as the operation itself is concerned there was nothing to it, it certainly wasn't painful, before the operation they froze my eye with 2 injections, that's so you I wouldn't blink I presume, they then connected me up to a machine, I think it was one of those machines that relaxes you, the operation itself didn't take very long and I could see as soon as they took the patch away, which was more or less as soon as I was back in the waiting room .

Just so you will know how bad my eye was.

Before the operation I could only see out of one eye, all I could see with the eye that was operated on was either light or dark nothing else. When I had an eye test before the operation to assess how bad my eye was the nurse asked me to say how many fingers she was holding up, my reply was "I can't see your hand never mind your fingers" that's how bad my eyesight was before it was operated on.

Afterwards I had to have eye drops everyday for a while (can't remember how long for) don't think it was for long though.
    Forum Member
    Afterwards I had to have eye drops everyday for a while (can't remember how long for) don't think it was for long though.

I think it's either 10 or 14 days?, the drops are antibiotics and steroids - and I don't know about you, but I found they were really quite painful by the end of that time.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's either 10 or 14 days?, the drops are antibiotics and steroids - and I don't know about you, but I found they were really quite painful by the end of that time.

10 to 14 days sounds about right.

I can't remember the drops being that painful, although it will be nine years in September since I had it done, I do remember it was my youngest daughter who put the drops in for me...maybe she missed :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my right eye done in 2005, I was terrified but I'm terrified of hospitals anyway, as far as the operation itself is concerned there was nothing to it, it certainly wasn't painful, before the operation they froze my eye with 2 injections, that's so you I wouldn't blink I presume, they then connected me up to a machine, I think it was one of those machines that relaxes you, the operation itself didn't take very long and I could see as soon as they took the patch away, which was more or less as soon as I was back in the waiting room .

Just so you will know how bad my eye was.

Before the operation I could only see out of one eye, all I could see with the eye that was operated on was either light or dark nothing else. When I had an eye test before the operation to assess how bad my eye was the nurse asked me to say how many fingers she was holding up, my reply was "I can't see your hand never mind your fingers" that's how bad my eyesight was before it was operated on.

Thank you for all this, very reassuring :) you must have been over the moon with the result ... I'm so looking forward to seeing properly again ..
    Thanks again xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone xx
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad had it done. He's in his eighties and it made an amazing difference. Doesn't even need glasses for distance now.
    Forum Member
    moordown66 wrote: »
    My Dad had it done. He's in his eighties and it made an amazing difference. Doesn't even need glasses for distance now.

I felt very 'young' while in the hospital, they continually come round putting dilating drops in ready for the operation and you're all lined up on chairs. Each time they ask you your name, your date of birth, which eye you're having done, and to point at it :D

(bearing in mind they have already drawn a large black arrow on your forehead :p)

So you continually hear everyone's dates of birth, I was 30+ years younger than most! :o
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

Glad to hear your Mother is doing well after her op

My Grandad had his eyes done a few months ago and he also was a bit nervous but was all praise for the eye team etc after it was done

goodluck OP, let us know how it goes
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I've had both eyes done.

I hated it, mainly because I have a terrible phobia about eyes and hospitals. It's not painful and by the time you go home you realise you can suddenly see in technicolour!