Do villa deserve to get relagated?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you think villa deserve to be relagated?

I think it would be a shame as it was only 4 or 5 years ago they were a top 7 club who had a winning mentality and would fight for European football and did well in the cups .

Since the Americans took over they have been run on a budget which in itself is wise to run your club well but they don't seem to run it well, they know that clubs are getting richer and almost all of the other premiership clubs have invested well over the last few years. Even the promoted clubs know that they need to spend to survive but villa just don't.

As I say it's not great for their fans but purely because the way the owners run the club I think they should be relagated.

It could work in their favour, the owners could decide that once the club are out of the premiership that they should sell them, but they could also realise that they will receive £60 to £100 million in parachute payments should they go down so feel they should keep the club and still not invest.

If the owners don't sell soon and villa do go down I could see them struggling to come back up as their best players will want to leave, the only player that would bring in any decent money would be Delph, who could join any top 6 club.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it would be a shame as it was only 4 or 5 years ago they were a top 7 club who had a winning mentality and would fight for European football and did well in the cups .

Since the Americans took over they have been run on a budget which in itself is wise to run your club well but they don't seem to run it well, they know that clubs are getting richer and almost all of the other premiership clubs have invested well over the last few years. Even the promoted clubs know that they need to spend to survive but villa just don't.

As I say it's not great for their fans but purely because the way the owners run the club I think they should be relagated.

It could work in their favour, the owners could decide that once the club are out of the premiership that they should sell them, but they could also realise that they will receive £60 to £100 million in parachute payments should they go down so feel they should keep the club and still not invest.

If the owners don't sell soon and villa do go down I could see them struggling to come back up as their best players will want to leave, the only player that would bring in any decent money would be Delph, who could join any top 6 club.

It's quite simple...any team no matter who & regardless of what happens off pitch, then any team that finishes in the bottom three deserves to get relegated, no excuses.

Likewise those that avoid the bottom three deserve to stay up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Yep, the 3 teams with least points deserve to be relegated.

One thing under Lambert, Villa had a superb points per goal ratio ( maybe unmatched in PL history? ) Pity it was based on so few goals!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love it, absolutely love it if they went down m'lord
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst goal difference in the league (-23 GD)
    Only 13 goals scored in 26 PL matches.
    Haven't won a league game since 7th December

The answer is surely yes.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teams that finish 18th, 19th and 20th after 38 games are the only 3 teams that deserve to be relegated.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously they deserve to go down if they finish in the bottom three but there is a discussion to be had about the decline they've suffered in the last few years. It's a bit depressing to watch in all honesty. I wonder if O'Neill saw the writing on the wall when he walked back in 2010.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villa have only won 2 league matches at home this season, which were against Hull and Leicester.

They probably need to win at least 3 home matches to survive relegation. So they need to go from a record of 2 wins in 13 home matches to getting 3 wins in just 6 home matches.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A team is 'deserving' of wherever they finish in the table, whether that be 1st, 9th or 20th.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've been dire. More deserving teams to escape relegation imo.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I was under the impression that he'd be trying to sell up for a few years now but hadn't got the offer he wanted (or any realistic offers at all)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was under the impression that he'd be trying to sell up for a few years now but hadn't got the offer he wanted (or any realistic offers at all)

I think you are Right that he has been trying to sell for the last few years, If I remember correctly he was trying to sell for £200 million which is crazy. I think I also read that he had been forced to reduce the asking fee to around £120 million.

I actually think villa would be a great team to Invest 100s of millions into. They have a decent ground that fits 40,000 + loyal fans , they are based in a massive city and could attract some good players and possibly be a decent mid table club with scope to go higher

They have a pretty decent history aswell I think they are in the top 10 most successful clubs in British football ( maybe england)
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are Right that he has been trying to sell for the last few years, If I remember correctly he was trying to sell for £200 million which is crazy. I think I also read that he had been forced to reduce the asking fee to around £120 million.

I actually think villa would be a great team to Invest 100s of millions into. They have a decent ground that fits 40,000 + loyal fans , they are based in a massive city and could attract some good players and possibly be a decent mid table club with scope to go higher

They have a pretty decent history aswell I think they are in the top 10 most successful clubs in British football ( maybe england)

That's just it though. Their most successful periods are now history. They're the 5th most successful UK club however their last league championship and their sole European Cup were back in the early 80's. Since then they've had a couple of League Cups in the mid 90's and a couple of Intertoto Cups in the 2000's.

The last few seasons they've been pretty rubbish only avoiding relegation because there have been teams even worse. I don't think they'll escape this season.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a BCFC fan I would love love love to see them go down!! :o:)

Would take my mind off our own dire situation :blush::(:cry:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That's just it though. Their most successful periods are now history. They're the 5th most successful UK club however their last league championship and their sole European Cup were back in the early 80's. Since then they've had a couple of League Cups in the mid 90's and a couple of Intertoto Cups in the 2000's.

The last few seasons they've been pretty rubbish only avoiding relegation because there have been teams even worse. I don't think they'll escape this season.
    When were Man City last successful?
    If they didn't get the Commonwealth Stadium would any of the new investment have come?
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Any team that believes it doesn't deserve to be relegated, by definition deserves to be relegated.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    for hiring Tim Sherwood, they absolutely deserve to be, yes.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they say 'you cut your coat according to your cloth'. No club can afford to coast in the Premier League. The owner/s need to ensure the whole enterprise is constantly moving forward in terms of facilities, coaching staff and importantly players in order to stay competative.

No club finishes in the bottom three that didn't derserve it and sometimes it is better for a struggling club to get relegated in order to re-group. Just a shame for supporters that a former 'big club' like Villa has declined to such an extent.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm Villa are the 4th most successful club in English football.

Do we deserve to go down? As it stand yes, 13 goals in 26 games, only won two matches at home, 2 x six consecutive games losing streak. 6 games without scoring a single goal.

I could go on with the horrific stats we've been posting. I'm AMAZED we are still long odds against to go down. We'll be lucky to get to 30 points.

Being a massive club gives you no divine right to be playing in the top league, but I think everyone knows that.
  • supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villa are in no way shape or form a massive club. On topic, it's simple logic. If they are in the bottom 3 come May then yes they deserve relegation.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    supertalk wrote: »
    Villa are in no way shape or form a massive club. On topic, it's simple logic. If they are in the bottom 3 come May then yes they deserve relegation.

If Villa are not a massive club who in your opinion are?
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »

The Tic ...... will do for me :p

wot you done with the little thread tcar then on tS ? :confused:
  • supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »

For example Real, Barca, Man U, Liverpool
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...it could have been so much worse...sherwood could have ended up at the baggies...
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supertalk wrote: »
    For example Real, Barca, Man U, Liverpool

If liverpool are included, so should Forest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    If liverpool are included, so should Forest

What kind of stupid logic is that. Forest are not even close to being as successful on the pitch as Liverpool, nor are they close to being as well supported off it.

18 leauge titles vs 1
    7 FA cups vs 2
    5 european cups vs 2
    3 UEFA cups vs 0