Black women only fashion show: how?

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lush_Lola wrote: »
    How exactly is it effecting you? is it creating divides between you and your neighbours? oh dear

It's not affecting me at all, but I nevertheless feel quite strongly about it. Pity you feel the need to be so sarcastic and unpleasant about what is a genuinely held view on my part.

I'll post once again the e mail I received from the Commission for Racial Equality, when I enquired about the legality of the issue, and first posted at Post No 177:-

Original Message
    Sent: 09 August 2007 10:47
    To:
    Subject: IAC011250 Re: [Maybe spam] FW: Black women only fashion show ~ legal ?

Dear

A CRE spokesperson said:

"Racial equality is about just that - equality for everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity or religion.

It appears that this competition only allows people of black African, black Caribbean or mixed race backgrounds to apply. We can appreciate the motives behind this competition - to raise the profile of young, black women and to create positive black role models. However, in reality it actually goes some way towards creating further divisions between communities in Britain.

The only way to re-dress the balance would be to open up the competition to people from all backgrounds. The competition should be about promoting racial harmony and integration, not segregation."

Competitions do not fall under the Race Relations Act 1976 so legally there's nothing we can do to stop it from taking place.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    Information and Assistance Officer

Note the emboldened part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Because that's not the point.

The relevant issue is one of preventing any move towards apartheid, something that Nelson Mandela fought so hard and gallantly against.

No matter the reasons and apparent justifications. Once you start down that road, then it's only a matter of time before the whole thing snowballs and cultural divisions between the races widen again.

I disagree. I think it'll increase recognition of black women, thus encouraging mainstream fashion industries to employ them more readily. It's just the boost into equality that's needed.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: society isn't going to sort itself out overnight. The strive for equality will be extremely gradual. Where do you suggest aspiring black models go to get noticed in the interim?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Note the emboldened part.

But is that factually based or the opinion of the person/organisation who sent you the e-mail?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluespeed wrote: »
    I disagree. I think it'll increase recognition of black women, thus encouraging mainstream fashion industries to employ them more readily. It's just the boost into equality that's needed.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: society isn't going to sort itself out overnight. The strive for equality will be extremely gradual. Where do you suggest aspiring black models go to get noticed in the interim?

I don't see any reason why the same fashion shows shouldn't be set up by the same people, but not exclude anyone else. That way, there will be no way that black women are in any way marginalised, but at the same time, nobody else is forced out.

If the marketed product is good enough, it shouldn't fear competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is that factually based or the opinion of the person/organisation who sent you the e-mail?

You'd have to ask them, but bear in mind they've considerably more experience in these matters than you or I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd have to ask them, but bear in mind they've considerably more experience in these matters than you or I.

Fair enough. :)

I personally think the current situation is causing racial division, though. Yes, all races are welcome to participate but a biased media and audience are pushing white women to success and phasing (most) black women out. I don't think that'll change without some form of intervention.
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the marketed product is good enough, it shouldn't fear competition.

I don't think it's because of 'fear', it all depends on their target audience.

Women love seeing other women who look like them, hence the whole "there should be larger models" debate.

Magazines like Vogue are aimed at middle class white women.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said. 2 thumbs up for you! ;) (i hope thats an appropriate smiley)
    These kind of things have happened in the past where people had to do their own thing in order for the mainstream to notice them. Things like rap music, r n b music, basically music originated from black people. Also things like soul food, black actors, asian actors and theres more. The mainstream puts them down to a point where they haven't much of a chance to grow in that industry. So they decided to do it on their own and let everyone know and now the mainstream accepts a lot of these things. The mainstream here are obviously white people which is not anyone's fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's because of 'fear', it all depends on their target audience.

Women love seeing other women who look like them, hence the whole "there should be larger models" debate.

Magazines like Vogue are aimed at middle class white women.

Well I don't see any reason why a similar magazine shouldn't be "aimed" at middle class black women, but it needn't deliberately specify "black women only".

I've just been thumbing through a Littlewoods catalogue, and there's loads of black models in there. Probably more than the ratio of black to white in the country. A curious absence of Asian models though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't see any reason why a similar magazine shouldn't be "aimed" at middle class black women, but it needn't deliberately specify "black women only".

I've just been thumbing through a Littlewoods catalogue, and there's loads of black models in there. Probably more than the ratio of black to white in the country. A curious absence of Asian models though.

Interesting. Have to say that pleasantly surprises me (though obviously not the last bit). :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is sick and i'm sick to the back teeth of this positive racism. :mad: How on earth does it help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Have to say that pleasantly surprises me (though obviously not the last bit). :)

Yeah, that surprised me. Maybe more through choice than lack of opportunity. I don't know.
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a teenager growing up in the 90s in the mags i used to buy i can remember there being 3 black models and two of them was mixed. There were never any tips on make up suitable for dark skin, or how to style your hair.
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well there are 'black' magazines. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Now these magazines aren't JUST for black folk, but that is who they are aimed at.

Just like how Vogue is pretty much aimed at middle class white women.

Of course there are women from both sets who go on to the "other side" - so to say - but you get the gist of what I'm saying.
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is sick and i'm sick to the back teeth of this positive racism. :mad: How on earth does it help?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are 'black' magazines. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Now these magazines aren't JUST for black folk, but that is who they are aimed at.

Just like how Vogue is pretty much aimed at middle class white women.

Of course there are women from both sets who go on to the "other side" - so to say - but you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Good ~ fair dues on that :cool: