Black women only fashion show: how?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a White person tried to get into this Black Pageant?

Why ask me?

This thread is the first I've heard of the pageant.

BTW. In case you had forgotten, my statement about making them open to everybody was about educational establishments, not beauty pageants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Precisely, as any group trying to promote a "white women's fashion show" would soon find out.

Or trying to start a "white police association"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »
    then it would be acceptable to have a non black women's beauty contest.

Don't you mean a "white women's beauty contest".

The fashion show under discussion is for black women, not non-white women.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Could this not be compared to societies in Uni based on race...Asian soc, Afro-Carriebean soc etc?

Also, what about pagent like Chinese, Indian, Nigerian, where they represent their country, but when its grouped into Black, Asian, Oriental, does this seem more racist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    black people were disallowed/banned from so many things until recent times

So because some people were discriminated against in the past, it's OK to discriminate against someone else now?

Two wrongs do not make a right.

PS. Who decides when the past discimination has been sufficiently rebalanced?

What if they overshoot?

Do we discriminate against the first group again for a bit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So because some people were discriminated against in the past, it's OK to discriminate against someone else now?

PS. Who decides when the past discimination has been sufficiently rebalanced?

What if they overshoot?

Do we discriminate against the first group again for a bit?

Good points.

I'm actually very pro race discrimination legislation, but only if that legislation is applied with scrupulous impartiality.

It appears to me that currently the thinking is geared towards a system that is allowing racism from certain quarters ~ and I'm sorry, but that to me is utterly and totally unacceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean overweight or the over 30's could take other beauty contests to court for being sizeist or ageist.

Are overweight and over 30 year-olds specifically barred from entering beauty competitions?

I realise they might never get past the first round, but neither do a great many slim and under 30s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't hear of many men moaning that they can't enter a beauty contest.

Actually, men can enter a beauty contest.
  • daisyboodaisyboo Posts: 11,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i once saw an advert for an Asian Woman Only Exercise class ...

go figure :rolleyes:
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Ah, interesting....it all hinges, apparently, on this one single word, "minority". Why is that, I wonder ? Ethnic is ethnic is ethnic, or maybe not.....:confused:

Which brings me straight back to my question above. Does separate race discrimination legislation exist dependent upon ethnic demography ?

No.

Under the Race Relations Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against anyone on grounds of race, colour, nationality (including citizenship), or ethnic or national origin. All racial groups are protected from discrimination.

The Race Relations Act generally applies to employment, planning, housing, the exercise of public functions (both by public authorities and also private bodies exercising public functions, for example, privately-run prisons).

It also applies to the provision of goods, facilities and services, and to education.

There are also offences under the criminal law, including racial harassment or incitement to racial hatred.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    No.

Under the Race Relations Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against anyone on grounds of race, colour, nationality (including citizenship), or ethnic or national origin. All racial groups are protected from discrimination.

The Race Relations Act generally applies to employment, planning, housing, the exercise of public functions (both by public authorities and also private bodies exercising public functions, for example, privately-run prisons).

It also applies to the provision of goods, facilities and services, and to education.

There are also offences under the criminal law, including racial harassment or incitement to racial hatred.

Right.....so a "black women only" thing is exempt from the above, because.....?
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean a "white women's beauty contest".
    Non-black != white.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    holy-moly wrote: »
    Why use only women for most shampoo adverts isnt that double standard against men

Why does European football only include countries in Europe

Why is AA only set up for alcoholics - shouldn't that be for everyone

Why is the American independence celebrated on the 4th of July surely thats discriminatory against the 3rd of July

The list goes on...

This is definately prooof of double standards :D

So a Miss White Britain is ok then...becuase if one is, then other must be...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    So a Miss White Britain is ok then...becuase if one is, then other must be...

I think you missed the point of that post.

Women's tennis, football, rugby, disabled sports.
    There are any number of events or competitions that are targeted at a specific group to the exclusion of others.

In all cases would you consider these as discrimination against those who wouldn't be included or creating your own playing field where groups can compete on level terms.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Are overweight and over 30 year-olds specifically barred from entering beauty competitions?

I realise they might never get past the first round, but neither do a great many slim and under 30s.

I presume they're not barred because they don't bother to compete, they know they're not going to make it past the first round.

In that case what's wrong with creating and overweight or over 30's competition, a niche for everyone to compete with their peers.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot see what the problem is as I cannot understand either why Kate Winslet should get hassle over this :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a66111/winslet-under-pressure-from-race-groups.html

Unless the person in charge was a blatant racist then maybe but why hassle Kate over it? Maybe only white people applied for it?

:confused:
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BraesBoy wrote: »
    Oh come on ... do you seriously believe that if he was white that this unfunny c**t would get series after series on the beeb!!!!! :D

There is no need for that language! Please think before you type in future. You may not like him but there is no need to be so rude. :mad: I think he is a bloody good bloke myself! As someone else said Jim Davidson got away with for years so there you go. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member

Actually as long as everyone is being racist to everyone else, no one can complain. It seems to suit the fashion industry at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you missed the point of that post.

Women's tennis, football, rugby, disabled sports.
    There are any number of events or competitions that are targeted at a specific group to the exclusion of others.

In all cases would you consider these as discrimination against those who wouldn't be included or creating your own playing field where groups can compete on level terms.

I have no problem with something which targets one thing over another ie Men and women sport etc. The issue is when one is acceptable, whilst the other isn't. Ie you can have a black competition, but not a white competition, as one is seen to be racist, whilst the other isn't.
  • joe2-snjjoe2-snj Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    I have no problem with something which targets one thing over another ie Men and women sport etc. The issue is when one is acceptable, whilst the other isn't. Ie you can have a black competition, but not a white competition, as one is seen to be racist, whilst the other isn't.

Both are racist really but when you look at the magazine covers and catwalks what don't you see? Its simple if people feel excluded from one club they will just start their own. Sad but true :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe2-snj wrote: »
    Both are racist really but when you look at the magazine covers and catwalks what don't you see? Its simple if people feel excluded from one club they will just start their own. Sad but true :(

True. I just think that instead of making their own contest, more should be done to ensure that the 'mainstream' is changed so that all colours are represented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe2-snj wrote: »

I dont understand why we are saying we dont see beautiful black women on catwalks and magazines...we do, in fact, we see less Asian women then black women, but it doesnt mean they are classed as "less beautiful" Iman, Tyra, Naomi, Veronica Webb, Lana Ogilvie, Yasmin Warsame and Alek Wek are just a few I can name off the top of my head (With Lana being the original "black supermodel) that all can command a very good pay for a days work/shoot/runway show.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nicibabes wrote: »
    I dont understand why we are saying we dont see beautiful black women on catwalks and magazines...we do, in fact, we see less Asian women then black women, but it doesnt mean they are classed as "less beautiful" Iman, Tyra, Naomi, Veronica Webb, Lana Ogilvie, Yasmin Warsame and Alek Wek are just a few I can name off the top of my head (With Lana being the original "black supermodel) that all can command a very good pay for a days work/shoot/runway show.

You see some but certainly not a lot nicibabes. Not enough for you to not notice that they're black, if you know what I mean. You can name them because you're interested in the genre. I challenge anyone to go into WHSmith tonight and find a black face on the front cover of a fashion magazine. I agree with you about Asian women in fashion though.

Although to be fair the OP is talking about beauty contests more than the fashion industry.
  • joe2-snjjoe2-snj Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nicibabes wrote: »

They are a minority, what Im talking about is the nameless models who front company, cosmo and the like.