Options

Will landlords generally allow puppies?

Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
Forum Member
✭✭
First post in this forum I think. I've been renting from a private landlord since last September. I've been a good tennant and put up with them building a house next door, taking half my garden, and having pretty lousy neighbours move in to the other house and not complained once. My rent is always paid on time and I feel I get along well with my landlord. My tenancy agreement says 'No pets are to be kept without permission of the landlord', so I'm going to ring them today. Do they generally allow it or not? I figure he may as well, because if the dog does any damage, which I will make sure it doesn't, then that's what the £500 deposit I gave them is for.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First post in this forum I think. I've been renting from a private landlord since last September. I've been a good tennant and put up with them building a house next door, taking half my garden, and having pretty lousy neighbours move in to the other house and not complained once. My rent is always paid on time and I feel I get along well with my landlord. My tenancy agreement says 'No pets are to be kept without permission of the landlord', so I'm going to ring them today. Do they generally allow it or not? I figure he may as well, because if the dog does any damage, which I will make sure it doesn't, then that's what the £500 deposit I gave them is for.

Its up to them really, so hard to say. They'll probably ask for an increased deposit if they say 'yes', though.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why waste your money renting? If you can afford rent money you can afford a mortgage and have your own place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, because they'll give a mortgage to a student.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why waste your money renting? If you can afford rent money you can afford a mortgage and have your own place.

In the real world, sadly, you need more than just the money to make the payments - like a deposit, say, or a decent income/credit rating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister rents a ground floor flat to a lady with a dog. She did originally say no to pets but this lady's dog is an assistance dog as it predicts epileptic fits. My sister agreed to the dog once she had met it because it was a lovely calm & well-trained dog. The only provisos were that her tenant would agree to replace carpets if they needed it when she left (in case they smelled a bit "doggy") & that she would make good any damage that the dog caused. She also said that if any of the other tenants complained because the dog was a nuisance, the tenant would be given notice. So far, so good.

If you are thinking of getting a puppy then your chances of your landlord agreeing would be far lower because of the "accidents" that puppies have. But if you get a house-trained older dog, then you may have a better chance.

If you want to get a dog from a rescue, you'll find that most recue centres will want a letter from your landlord saying that you can have a dog.

Good luck ~ I hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! They said I can have one, as long as after I leave and they assess the place, I foot the cost of any professional cleaning they feel is necessary to get the dog smell out. I'm cool with that.
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! They said I can have one, as long as after I leave and they assess the place, I foot the cost of any professional cleaning they feel is necessary to get the dog smell out. I'm cool with that.

But WHY do you want a dog?

They smell, spread dog hairs everywhere...wreck the place, spread diseases and when left outside - annoy other people constantly with it's barking and foul everywhere they go!

Your landlord has agreed providing they assess the place and foot the bill of any cleaning...of which there WILL be to get rid of the stench. You are lucky as 99% of private landlords will not allow pets such as dogs or even kids...and who can blame them.

You may be 'cool' with that...but will the next tenant be when they have to gt rid of the smell of dog? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go buy a cat mate. then tell me dogs smell is difficult to get rid of when the cat has sprayed everywhere.
    or get a rabbit and get rif of that smell.
    or a rodent.

christ, get an un-neutered ferret :p

ANY animal spreads diseases, with good husbandry however, there's no way you can catch anything from a dog
    want to hear something "gross"?
    i share plates, forks, bowls, ice creams with my dogs, and have done for twelve years, never once catching anything from them. up until her teeth started rotting, i blew on my dogs head, or asked her for a kiss, she'd lick my mouth
    all i did was wipe with my hand afterwards.

at least with dogs, they don;t actively spread a mind altering pathogen which causes cysts in body tissues like cats can :rolleyes:

as an aside, people can stink too, hows about the next tenant of somewhere having to get rid of the smell of a person? that's just as bad.

even that takes a while. 19 years on, the front room of this house still gets a whiff of the old woman who used to sleep in there

not referring to the OP here at all just a generalisation!