Time for a Eurovision forum?

Comments

• SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Well that wouldn't make you very happy would it?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

My point is we still have them. The Eurovision thread probably has more posts than a few of the subforums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Saturn wrote: »
    There'd be nothing to stop you posting the same thread in a Eurovision forum :p

So if the Thread is still up and running, what would be the point of a forum? What exactly would get discussed? And by whom?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    marrakech wrote: »
    So if the Thread is still up and running, what would be the point of a forum? What exactly would get discussed? And by whom?

Anyone who didn't want to read through irrelevant posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

Ah! More readers who never seem to post. That'll make for an interesting forum!
  • ShadyNathanShadyNathan Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

:eek: How dare you say our posts are invalid :D:D:D
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    No, definitely not.

I think one cohesive thread, which covers all the Eurovision news is much better than a seperate sub-forum with new threads popping up every day, that a lot of people won't bother to read. We would lose a lot of the conversation that goes on, and the result would be a pretty empty forum. Particuarly from June to December.

Many other things have their own forum even though they are not on air. and the thread looks like it has been very busy from this june to december so i disagree with that.

Also the eurovision thread covers a lot, fantasy competitions, news, discussions about various different countries national finals and much more, some of which not everyone needs to see, i find it all very crowded, confusing and disorganised being in one thread. being swedish i love eurovision but i do not go in the thread as much as i would like for those reasons mentioned above. It is very difficult to keep on top of.

A separated forum would obviously help all this and i think it would be a fantastic idea. :)

obviously its up to digital spy
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    No
    No :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well that wouldn't make you very happy would it?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

but it can be very funny :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Yes
    I'm not quite sure where it should go if there is one. Possibly in reality tv or a subforum of music.
    It's not reality TV - there's no emotive back stories etc; it would either have to be a sub-forum of entertainment, or be ghettoised into the music forum.

That said, a separate forum would be good. I rarely post in that combined thread because it's like looking in on a big group discussion, that requires a lot of attention. It's not focused enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    youngswede wrote: »
    Many other things have their own forum even though they are not on air. and the thread looks like it has been very busy from this june to december so i disagree with that.

It's only been busy because we've invented ways to keep ourselves entertained. Which according to the OP are "irritating". There's a lot going on for some of the time. But there is not very much going on for the rest.

I don't see the point of turning a busy thread into a desolate sub-forum. In the off-season it would have one new thread a week, and probably get about six replies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    No
    I've voted no, I think the thread works perfectly well as it is.

I only joined DS recently, but the main reason I decided to join in is because the thread is a fast moving, ongoing discussion about Eurovision, and I really think we'd lose that if we had a sub-forum. I agree that it would get pretty dead in the off season too.

I appreciate that not everyone is interested in our contests, but I don't think they've ever got in the way of us discussing actual Eurovision news. They will be winding down as National Final season approaches, and I'm looking forward to following it all on here :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's only been busy because we've invented ways to keep ourselves entertained. Which according to the OP are "irritating". There's a lot going on for some of the time. But there is not very much going on for the rest.

I don't see the point of turning a busy thread into a desolate sub-forum. In the off-season it would have one new thread a week, and probably get about six replies.

that is fair enough, i am sure you would find ways to entertain whether in a single discussion or a whole forum. for me that part does not make a difference.

anyway as for these contests, please tell me how i can be part :) , I have always wanted to but if i had requested to join in the thread itself, its so fast i fear i will be missed! :D
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    IMO it's fine the way it is, I don't think it gets that bogged down by the contests which only really effect Tuesday and Sunday night and they'll be ending soon anyway. I remember in the years before we started doing the contests the thread would often fall off page one of the forum and would go as low as page five sometimes. Also with regards to Eurovision news getting lost amongst the contests I don't think this is particularly true as I regularly see people discussing any news that they find interesting. I don't really see how one little piece of news having its own thread in a new forum is going to make it any more likely to be discussed than it already is.

And most importantly, the current friendly atmosphere that we've currently got in the thread will almost certainly be lost because right now we can't exactly avoid each other and it's seen many a (online!) friendship struck. Look at the Big Brother forum where people constant bitch and berate each other. Without a sense of community, people will just become more unpleasant and it won't make it a particularly nice experience any more.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    youngswede wrote: »
    that is fair enough, i am sure you would find ways to entertain whether in a single discussion or a whole forum. for me that part does not make a difference.

anyway as for these contests, please tell me how i can be part :) , I have always wanted to but if i had requested to join in the thread itself, its so fast i fear i will be missed! :D

Sorry that I wasn't around to join in this discussion at the time, but I have had a chance to read it all now, and have voted NO

youngswede, unfortunately, I think that the contests are pretty much coming to a close now that the NF seasons will be starting with avengeance very soon - please come on in and join us at any time (you can vote on our last "Fantasy Song" heat, the entries have just been announced tonight.)

You can see from Claire's post above that it's easy to become part of it, we all respect each others opinions whatever it is about, this hasn't changed for our off-season silliness with the contests we've been running to keep ourselves amused. This has managed to keep us all together whilst Eurovision news has been thin on the ground

Indeed - looking back at my (not very) extensive records, shows that the OP even participated in one of our searches for the Worst Ever Eurovision Entry (that was a corker of a comp!)

gottago hit the nail on the head for me when he said that in the "olden days" there used to be weeks go by in the off season where nothing was posted (since I became a DS member in April of 2006, I've pretty much stayed on the Eurovision thread, so I know what it was like) This year we've been able to stay as a cohesive group of like minded people.

There are other websites out there that are better for up to the minute news and views. If that's the only thing you are after, then I don't think that this place is the right place for you. However, if you are after good natured banter with a smattering of humour from people with a common interest, then please - feel free to join us, you will be welcomed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    No
    I voted 'No' in the poll. Whilst the idea of a eurovision forum is well intentioned, I think a forum would loose the community feel of the eurovision thread. I joined DS specifically to post in the eurovision thread. :)

Another reason is that most people here on DS would only be interested in the British national final, the British entry and the actual contest in May. When those times come around, the thread rightly gets a surge in people posting as well as a few new threads being set up on specific issues. Shortly after the contest is over, most people leave and don't return until the following March.

For us hardcore eurovision fans :p, eurovision starts in December with the national finals beggining again as well as all the other news from the production of the contest, running order draws etc. It works being in one thread because loads of different things can be discussed and talked about at the same time with the same people.

If any OP's here on DS are put off from posting in the thread because it seems a bit 'cliquey', don't be. The more the merrier! :)
  • Pepsi_Max_KidPepsi_Max_Kid Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    After Jedward winning in Ireland, I think there should be :(
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    yes - the Eurovision Thread is too fast to keep up with.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,173
    Forum Member
    No
    No, it doesn't need a separate forum - for all except the few days around the main final and the UK final, there'd just be the hardcore who already have what appears to effectively be a Eurovision Appreciation thread (i.e. unlike BB or XF where you got hundreds of threads, full of spite and nastiness).

To dilute a thread many seem to love already would be a shame - the majority of posters that don't regularly post on that thread that appear around the finals days view the contest with cynicism or outright contempt (I'm probably in the former :p), such as the whole novelty of the event, the annual accusations of vote-rigging, the UK's less than enthusiastic efforts to pick a decent song most years, useless presenters, "it's not as much fun as it was back in the 70s/80s", etc.

While Eurovision topics are just threads in their current forum, the big thread will stay up on page 1 most of the time, while the threads from part-timers who don't take it as seriously will soon drift off the bottom of the page after the contest is over.

IF you have your own forum though, these will be hanging around like a bad smell all year round...!
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,173
    Forum Member
    No
    After Jedward winning in Ireland, I think there should be :(

I thought you were joking, should be interesting to see the reaction they get!

They're the sort of novelty act that a lot of casual British viewers of Eurovision expect us to choose, as "the Europeans like that sort of stuff", we're told...

So we've got Blue then... is there no actual contest to decide this year, it's all done and dusted already?
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    100% yes
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Why not - it could just be kept open from say December to June.

If 'I'd do anything' can have a sub forum (and that show finished nearly 2 years ago) then why not Eurovision which is current and happening now!
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I vote yes. I hate the long thread with millions of pages that i have to wade through to find anything newsworthy. I can't be bothered to read it most of the time.

A Eurovision forum neednt just have news in it though... plenty to talk about from preceding years!
  • DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Yes
    I voted yes as I'd have liked one yesterday. People who wanted to talk about Jedward in the eurovision thread had previously been told there had been enough discussion about them and to go discuss them on the XF forum and fms in that Xf Jedward Eurovision thread have expressed the opinion that they feel the eurovision thread has become exclusive and they can't post in it. Really, if people want to discuss Jedward in Eurovision , I think it would be more appropriate to do so in a Eurovision forum than the XF one.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    No
    No!
    I like it as it is now- there are a steady stream of regulars who have kept the old thread ticking over since last May, and it would be a shame to move all of that concentrated discussion onto a seperate forum. My fear would be that like some of the Reality TV show forums, once the show ends, people lose interest and the forum kinda dies.
    I'm perfectly happy with the way it is now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    I don't thin it needs one it's only on for one day.
This discussion has been closed.