Miming/Loud backing vocals. I don't think so!

twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx_jns26-F4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

One Direction at their home coming gig and they sound just as good as on the live shows. Oh and Louis has a solo but you can't hear him for all the screams

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Kl story bro.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly were you hoping this proves? This isn't a hard song to sing, it's mostly one note; they are singing the same note over and over again in unison. Harry goes up a bit towards the end, but not by much. Oh, and despite Savan's lessons, Nail's breathing technique is still poor, he still fades at the end instead of sustaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Well thanks for the link as I had not seen that. I love that song, always have.

I think 1D will do very well actually, they are like a young Westlife, and before anyone says they are crap WL I mean just take a look at their track record, their sales and the fact that they have been around a very long time. I saw WL in their very first arena show and to be honest they were good, but over the years they just got better and better, the singing improved the shows improved so unlike others here I would not write off 1D as I really believe they have a shot at a very good career, even if they do need or some of them need some singing lessons and breathing lessons, they are very young right now, just give them some time!

No I did not vote for them, they were not my favs, but I did recognise that they could go a long way after the X was over. Oddly I see one of them leaving just like Bryan did in WL, he's the one who I think still hankers after a solo career and will probably end up with one as well.

GG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niall sings loud enough to be audible, the screams werent any louder, Louis just didnt sing loud at all. Perhaps lack of practice or he forgot about no backing vocals :P

It doesnt matter now because their voices will be prefectly tuned in the recording studios for their cds.
    Forum Member
    D4nth3m4n wrote: »
    Niall sings loud enough to be audible, the screams werent any louder, Louis just didnt sing loud at all. Perhaps lack of practice or he forgot about no backing vocals :P

It doesnt matter now because their voices will be prefectly tuned in the recording studios for their cds.

Okay thats fair enough, maybe they will be fine tuned on their CDs but to make it you have to tour as well, so they better get good at singing live as people will not be happy to go and have them mime, my point being is again here they are young, give them a break as I am sure they are going to be huge in time, and I am sure they will sing live and do very well at, you cannot throw together 5 lads and think they will be great it does not work that way, they need time to gel the sound and work on areas like breathing techniques, I am sure they will be given all the backing for those things and prove all the detractors wrong, as I say I think they are going to go a long way and for some time as well. Oh and all that comes from a Matt Cardle fan by the way!

GG
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting something good but instead it's 5 kids singing in their bedroom. All that proves to me is that they are completely useless. Weak little voices and for the bulk of it Louis isn't singing into the mic.

I realise that future performances will be autotuned and boosted but luckily I am not their target audience so won't be watching the kids' shows they appear on.
  • lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what exactly are you trying to say? If one direction are not miming on this clip they have never ever mimed in their lives???:confused:
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lizm wrote: »
    what exactly are you trying to say? If one direction are not miming on this clip they have never ever mimed in their lives???:confused:

I was trying to prove that they didn't mime on the live shows but waste of time in this forum
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I was trying to prove that they didn't mime on the live shows but waste of time in this forum

I don't think this proves they didn't mime at all.

I actually quite like one direction, so please don't take that the wrong way.

Also, I think they're quite lucky in that their fans spend most of the time screaming, as it covers up any vocal imperfections..
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Chasing Cars one of the few songs they sang live on the live shows? Not every song they performed had massive vocal enhancement.

The likes of Kids In America and Only Girl In The World were major smoke and mirrors jobs though.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's like taking Cher's "Stay" as proof that she never raps.

I cannot STAND Wand Erection. I think they have one talented singer whose voice seems to have got weaker since being with the other four (Liam), one lad who is perfectly OK in a group (Harry) and three who should never have got past the producers, let alone through to boot camp, judges' houses and live shows. But I don't think they were miming on the live shows. I think they were singing along in their pathetic little voices to a chorus of voices on a backing track. Whether that was their voices (autotuned and boosted) is irrelevant. They were helped as they are not strong enough without it.

All this performance does is confirm that fact as the vocals are absolutely pathetic.

I appreciate that a lot of groups and soloists will mime or have huge backing tracks in certain situations - TV recordings with massive dance routines involved for example. I don't particularly enjoy watching mimed performances but if I'm being entertained by an energetic dance routine I can live with it. It's the complete refusal to acknowledge that these kids had that help that really grates with me.

I think you'll find very few people who say the main reason they like them is their amazing vocals. It's because they fancy them. That's fine - but just stop pretending they are competent singers because they're just not.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Wasn't Chasing Cars one of the few songs they sang live on the live shows? Not every song they performed had massive vocal enhancement.

The likes of Kids In America and Only Girl In The World were major smoke and mirrors jobs though.

well I know I wasn't the only one at home at home who could see this.

Even with all the guests on Xtrafactor 'bigging them up' saying how they improved and how great they were :confused: the GBP didn't fall for it. They got 3rd and at least the the last two standing were singers who didn't need vocal enhancement.
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I like these kids and I'm sure they will go very far and with a good loud backing tape they will "deliver" at gigs but they are not good singers. My 11 year old daughter with 4 of her other mates from the school choir can sing at least as well as this and can harmonise much better.

I'm not having a pop 1D are fine for what they are but their principle attribute is their looks and appeal to teenage girls - nothing wrong with that - why do people insist on trying to sell the fact that they are anything other than moderate singers - they are not!!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I know I wasn't the only one at home at home who could see this.

Even with all the guests on Xtrafactor 'bigging them up' saying how they improved and how great they were :confused: the GBP didn't fall for it. They got 3rd and at least the the last two standing were singers who didn't need vocal enhancement.

ID's main problem is that they are not a group at all : they are five solo singers put together by a music illiterate (Cowell).Their voices don't blend well together and they can't do harmonies.It's really outrageous that Cowell described such an outfit as "the best pop group in Britain today".
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx_jns26-F4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

One Direction at their home coming gig and they sound just as good as on the live shows. Oh and Louis has a solo but you can't hear him for all the screams

Probably sounds as good because they are autotuned also
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Cowell has lost it IMO - he has been clever in the past, but 1D were a bad call and he couldn't back down, it seems. they might succeed, but they will not be the natural success that JLS have been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spoon wrote: »
    Cowell has lost it IMO - he has been clever in the past, but 1D were a bad call and he couldn't back down, it seems. they might succeed, but they will not be the natural success that JLS have been.

Disagree, way better than his ideas with bands in the past on XF. But thats just my opinion (: I only think it was a bad move for Liam, loved him on his own since 08, supported one direction for him alone but it sucked to watch him shrink every week.
    You can actually here Louis' final note on his solo if you put earphones in. The rest is silence.
    Forum Member
    Disagree, way better than his ideas with bands in the past on XF. But thats just my opinion (: I only think it was a bad move for Liam, loved him on his own since 08, supported one direction for him alone but it sucked to watch him shrink every week.
    You can actually here Louis' final note on his solo if you put earphones in. The rest is silence.

Liam is the one I think will leave, I said one would above, he did shrink and it was sad as I liked his voice solo, I also liked Harry and think they are the bones of this outfit as the rest are just the spare parts on the side, bit like two of Boyzone used to be for people... but that does not mean that the group could not succeed as other groups have with very little at the beginning in way of real talent, raw talent maybe that needs working on, so as I said I will not write them off just yet. People wrote Westlife, Boyzone and many other bands off and they were wrong to do so, these lads are still very very young, so only time will tell.

GG
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thanks for the link as I had not seen that. I love that song, always have.

I think 1D will do very well actually, they are like a young Westlife, and before anyone says they are crap WL I mean just take a look at their track record, their sales and the fact that they have been around a very long time. I saw WL in their very first arena show and to be honest they were good, but over the years they just got better and better, the singing improved the shows improved so unlike others here I would not write off 1D as I really believe they have a shot at a very good career, even if they do need or some of them need some singing lessons and breathing lessons, they are very young right now, just give them some time!

No I did not vote for them, they were not my favs, but I did recognise that they could go a long way after the X was over. Oddly I see one of them leaving just like Bryan did in WL, he's the one who I think still hankers after a solo career and will probably end up with one as well.

GG

liam is where im placing bets :D
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    rianne wrote: »
    liam is where im placing bets :D

it'll be a huge mistake if he does. he may be technically the best singer (though I think Harry has the better voice) but he lacks personality and the others in the group give him that fun and likability factor - without the rest of them frankly he is just a good looking boy with a reasonable voice who takes himself a bit seriously - and that is rarely a recipe for pop stardom and I thinkSC knew that and that is why 1D were put together in the first place.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it'll be a huge mistake if he does. he may be technically the best singer (though I think Harry has the better voice) but he lacks personality and the others in the group give him that fun and likability factor - without the rest of them frankly he is just a good looking boy with a reasonable voice who takes himself a bit seriously - and that is rarely a recipe for pop stardom and I thinkSC knew that and that is why 1D were put together in the first place.

I agree with all of that. IMO Liam was the one who was to be the lead singer but they didn't bank on finding Harry who technically is not as good as Liam or has as much experience but wipes the floor with charisma and charm. I also prefer his tone when the nerves don't get to him. I also rate Zain as a singer but more in the R & B mode but depending on what song they are singing could be very useful.

As someone else already said with all the screaming they could get away with a lot in the vocals department until they find their feet which at the rate they are going will be very soon!
  • NoahsAarkNoahsAark Posts: 30,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on what 'direction' their management want to take them in. If they were to get proper vocal training and learn how to harmonise properly then in time they would be able to impress with just their singing. At the moment it's all style over substance.

With lots of work they could end up like this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-m3Lk83nI

rather than a Westlife clone ... lets face it ... only Shane and Mark do any proper singing the other two just 'la-la' in the background :D
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Lol at the video :D One of the benefits of being a fan of artists which attract older demographics is you can go and hear them sing live and actually get to hear them and not a crowd of shreiking teenagers.

Even when I was one I could never get my head around the people who just squealed through concerts and heard nothing, what was the point in going?