pet insurance

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
who on here has pet insurance? and do you think its worth it?

Comments

• tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo,we would have had to pay around 2k in bills in the last 3 years for our cat if we didn't have it,no brainer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got pet insurance for my cat with Halifax, its £3.99 a month which isnt much compared to a large vet bill if he got ill. It also covers advertising and reward if he was to go missing and gives you a payment on death (which is kind of morbid when its your beloved pet).
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have ins with M&S, you need it these days.
    Make sure is you are getting ins, to get one that covers for life.
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have but haven't at the moment - it annoys me beyond belief that all insurance companies demand proof of yearly booster vaccinations for animals. It's been proven that yearly boosters are not necessary for most animals and sometimes can actually cause more harm than good. If anyone knows of an insurance company that doesn't require the proof of vaccination when you make a claim then I'd love to hear from them.

Don't misunderstand me, I've had cats and dogs all my life and I love them all to bits, in fact my cats rule the roost and all our pets have done so. My parents only ever had their animals vaccinated when they were puppies/kittens respectively and all were very healthy animals. Of the cats I currently have 3 of them have had yearly boosters and they were all sickly animals. Since not having their booster last year their health has improved immensely. Yes I know this isn't proof per se, but there have been enough articles about it over the years.

I'm sure I'll be told I'm irresponsible by several on these boards but hey ho. So, anyone got any insurance company suggestions that don't ask for proof of vaccinations?
  • dmwatdmwat Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog's insured with PetPlan, I don't have the cats insured - I probably should but I can't afford to insure them as well.
    Puffle wrote: »
    I used to have but haven't at the moment - it annoys me beyond belief that all insurance companies demand proof of yearly booster vaccinations for animals. It's been proven that yearly boosters are not necessary for most animals and sometimes can actually cause more harm than good. If anyone knows of an insurance company that doesn't require the proof of vaccination when you make a claim then I'd love to hear from them.
    Isn't that only if you're making a claim for something that could have vaccinated against? My friend's dog broke his leg a few weeks back and her insurance hasn't asked for any proof of vaccinations. PetPlan and Tesco just exclude the illnesses that could be prevented by vaccinations.
    I'm sure I'll be told I'm irresponsible by several on these boards but hey ho. So, anyone got any insurance company suggestions that don't ask for proof of vaccinations
    Not by me you won't, I agree that we over-vaccinate. I've not had my dog vaccinated for five years now. He goes to vets regularly to have his fatty lumps checked, just to make sure that's all they are, and gets a health check then. The vets have never insisted that he should have vaccinations.
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks dmwat - all I know is that with petplan their insurance forms ask for the last booster details which I assume means they will not pay out if you pet's vaccinations are not up to date. They certainly never used to ask for that detail.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    We've got Sainsbury's pet insurance and they haven't asked for proof of vaccinations.

We've also made two pretty hefty claims and they paid up, no questions asked. (One claim was for £2,500 so we were grateful for the insurance.)
  • cosmicsoupcosmicsoup Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I tried petplan and they quoted me nearly £29 per month for a mixed breed 12 week old puppy with all its vaccines and an identichip. I went with morethan instead for just under £9 per month.
  • wemblycatwemblycat Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a world of difference between some of the cheaper insurance policies and the more expensive ones - you really have to read the small print to find out. All depends if you want a "lifetime" policy. Some of the cheaper insurances will only pay out for a year if your pet develops a lifelong condition that needs regular treatment - can end up getting expensive.

I opted for animal friends insurance - their website does a fairly good job of explaining the different types of policies and how its not easy to compare policies by price alone.

http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/pet_insurance/compare.html

Also - its a not-for-profit company - all the profits go towards animal charity around the world.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had insurance up until our premiums almost doubled and they refused to pay a bill then we stopped it and oddly suddenly when we tick not insured on the vet forms our bills are approximately half what they were when we ticked insured and our dogs are having much less invasive examinations and tests !
  • dmwatdmwat Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmicsoup wrote: »
    I tried petplan and they quoted me nearly £29 per month for a mixed breed 12 week old puppy with all its vaccines and an identichip. I went with morethan instead for just under £9 per month.
    Wow! I use Petplan and pay £17 a month for lifetime cover on an 8 year old cross with no vaccinations.

Morethan wouldn't insure him because he's a Thai Ridgeback cross and they didn't know what one was - they told me they don't insure wolf hybrids :eek: