I wish i was born into a different generation...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
Forum Member
Im a 17 year old Asian male, listen to 70s punk rock, 80s/90s hip hop, love old school football matches from the 80s and hate modern day premiership money ridden football, DESPISE modern day pop music ( anything you see on the TV/Radio ) I dont drink copious amounts, but i'll smoke the occasional joint - i feel different to nearly everyone of my generation.

Comments

• PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SSS09 wrote: »
    Im a 17 year old Asian male, listen to 70s punk rock, 80s/90s hip hop, love old school football matches from the 80s and hate modern day premiership money ridden football, DESPISE modern day pop music ( anything you see on the TV/Radio ) - i feel different to nearly everyone of my generation.

you're born in the right generation because as such you have the opportunity to pick and choose aspects of many other generations which you can enjoy to your merryment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    you're born in the right generation because as such you have the opportunity to pick and choose aspects of many other generations which you can enjoy to your merryment.

Yes, that i agree with.
    But some of the morals of this generation i really don't agree with, lack of respect, plenty of ignorance, taking things for granted and expecting parents to hand everything to them.
  • FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think there are more like you out there like you than you realise. The difference is that it can be hard to notice them because these sorts of young people aren't in your face. We have regular undergraduate trainees at our work and every single one has been a delight to be with.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh but dude, we have xbox.
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »

Take a guess as to wether i play on an Xbox :D

Now if you said the internet, then you would have caught me out
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also as a fellow partaker in the occasional joint I'm sure you'd hate to live without microwaves/doritos/24 hour garages :)
    Forum Member
    Also as a fellow partaker in the occasional joint I'm sure you'd hate to live without microwaves/doritos/24 hour garages :)

LOL .
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what?

We had Pong!
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind being born into another generation, the alcohol fuled lifestyle of people my age just doesn't appeal to me. People usually look at me a bit funny when I say I don't drink, I think it makes them a bit weary of me.

Although I'm sure Harriet Harmon will be coming around soon to protect my interests as an opressed minority. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same with me, I wish I had grown up in the 70's, or 40's. I just dont fit in with the modern way of thinking.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are looking back at the 80s with nostalgia now, but the reality was that it was a pretty crap decade for a lot of people, IMO.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post not appearing
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a 17 year old Asian male, listen to 70s punk rock, 80s/90s hip hop, love old school football matches from the 80s and hate modern day premiership money ridden football, DESPISE modern day pop music ( anything you see on the TV/Radio ) I dont drink copious amounts, but i'll smoke the occasional joint - i feel different to nearly everyone of my generation.

Deffo the wrong generation, you should of been born in the late 60's like myself.

cosmo wrote: »
    post not appearing

There is a god...:D:D:D
    People are looking back at the 80s with nostalgia now, but the reality was that it was a pretty crap decade for a lot of people, IMO.

Music was good but from the politics sucked, plus we had YUPPIES.
  • FERAL SHARKEYFERAL SHARKEY Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

peter went up onto the roof to pray he became hungry while a meal was being prepared for him he fell into a trance , he saw heaven open up and a sheet lowered down that contained all manner of animals and reptiles ,
    then a voice spoke telling get up peter and eat .

think about that .
    Forum Member
    And forgot to add, i workout 4 days a week heavy weight training and have a very good diet. People look at me like some sort of alien when im eating natural foods like peanuts, chicken, rice etc. So its become the norm to eat manufactured processed foods, which is sad to see.

I hate to think how superficial and government controlled things are going to be in years to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And forgot to add, i workout 4 days a week heavy weight training and have a very good diet. People look at me like some sort of alien when im eating natural foods like peanuts, chicken, rice etc.

I hate to think how superficial and government controlled things are going to be in years to come.

you sound like a well adjusted healthy young person to me .
    yet something apears to worry you ?
    Forum Member
    you sound like a well adjusted healthy young person to me .
    yet something apears to worry you ?

What worries me is how the government are becoming increasingly controlling of peoples lives, and our freedom is being impeeded upon, but because people are too busy getting on with their lives, not many people seem to notice.

I.D cards, computer monitoring, CCTV state etc, all in the name of; anti-Terrorism ?

Forgive me if im incorrect, but the IRA were a major threat before, yet peoples rights weren't being impeded on this much were they ?
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add; i also have a strong interest in politics. A word which is not understood by about 80% of people i talk to ( my age )
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see what you mean but I wouldn't. I know what you mean about respecting parents because I've realised that it's pointless. It's meant to be fun and it just isn't and I do like listening to old music (especially on a record player I think, it's pretty cool) but I like some things. I like the way we can see infomation from all over the world and I'm I do like some music that's on the TV (coldplay, radiohead, ect). I don't doubt that some people around my age do think like that but I've resigned to the fact that no-one in my school does and to be honest I don't care. I'm got some good pals but I think they take some things way over board and I don't really agree on the whole joint think either, my friends do it and it's up to them but I still think they're killing themselves. I agree on the whole alcohol think, it's pointless.

ETA: I'm not saying that I'm perfect, I mean I do take things for granted and I do like messing about but I just wish that I could have serious conversations with my friends sometimes at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worries me is how the government are becoming increasingly controlling of peoples lives, and our freedom is being impeeded upon, but because people are too busy getting on with their lives, not many people seem to notice.

I.D cards, computer monitoring, CCTV state etc, all in the name of; anti-Terrorism ?

Forgive me if im incorrect, but the IRA were a major threat before, yet peoples rights weren't being impeded on this much were they ?

but the ira werent as big a threat as al quaeda and the rebel clown army were they ,

"then a famine struck egypt and canaan and our fathers could not find food "
    kinda says it all doesnt it .
  • Ryan-BRyan-B Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the noughtes have been shit.
    Forum Member
    I also dont smoke, unlike most people at my college - as soon as someone sparks one up it feels like im being poisened.

It also saddens me to see the amount of unhealthy/fat people around - im taking every attempt to look after my body, everyone else is stuffing there faces smoking drinking eventually going to be a burden on taxpayers money when they inevitably have health problems !!!! ( If the NHS still exists in however many years )
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just like who you are and your interests. What a great period to be able to pick and choose all sorts of music or interests that inspire you.

When I was in my 20s I used to love music from the 20s and wish I was in a Clara Bow film driving my model T. lol.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm sure past decades look good in hindsight, but during the Cold War years there was always that feeling that the world could end at any time. Plus there was the IRA - proper terrorists rather than the mostly shambolic lot we have now. Oh, and there was all the strikes during the 70s, the oil crisis, the mass unemployment of the 80s and the whole situation over AIDs/HIV which turned sex into a form of Russian Roulette.

Plus there was a lot more discrimination against anyone who wasn't white, male and straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I'm 26 and always feel like I was born in not only the wrong decade but often the wrong century! As a little girl I desperately wanted to be a Victorian as I loved dressing up in petticoats, playing with porcelain dolls, tapestry, classical music and pasting "scraps" into scrap books (yes, I know I was weird :o). In my late teens, early 20's I devoured classic novels and wanted to wander the moors of yorkshire Bronte style looking for Heathcliffe or waiting for Mr Rochester to come riding along on his horse or go to the Ball at Netherfield and meet Mr Darcy as I love Jane Austen too. I studied Literature at uni and my lecturer always used to say I looked like a Thomas Hardy heroine. My friends and family always say they can see me getting a part in a TV/film period costume drama one day. And no, I don't go about in a crinoline and bonnet lol!

Have to admit it is more of a secret wish for me now and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone. I love dancing but I'm not really into clubbing that much and I just don't "get" todays society - I don't fit in. I love manners and family values and I am really old fashioned in that I like men to behave as gentlemen and I try to behave as a lady - I would never be found vomiting and drunk in the street or falling out of a taxi with no knickers on or flashing people in the street. I believe in marriage (God know why after my childhood!). I believe that your sex life should be private and not posted all over twitter. In fact *ducks for cover*, I only believe in having sex with men I truly love who love me (yes, feel free to vomit) and I can't understand one night stands and people that go around having (or expecting) casual sex and who have lots of children to different people. Also, I like writing letters and find texting and emailing and the internet all a bit clinical. I don't like swearing. I like going for long walks in the countryside and baking cakes and putting them on my Royal Albert cake stand.

On the other hand, I value my independence. I like that I can choose my own career and not just be someone's wife for an occupation and I think the advances in medicine etc are somewhat preferrable nowadays ;). I like the fact that women are seen as more equal nowadays. I also like mini skirts, stilettos and GHDs and the fact that we have a 24 hour supermarket down the road. So, yes maybe my olde worldy fantasies are just that but still, its my not so naughty little secret that sometimes I wish I could go back in a time machine and marry a Mr Darcy type, wear corsets, bonnets and petticoats and spend my days playing the harpsichord and writing letters sealed with wax :D.