Over Rated Games

2»

Comments

• HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    True, but to be over rated, the game has to by definition be rated. It sort of has to be a pretty popular game. No point saying Space Station Silicon Valley on the n64 because about 5 people played it.

:p

Good point, I still think people like to troll the hell out of these threads though.

I cant really think of any series that I think is over rated. Closest thing would be the Final Fantasy games, I never really got the whole turn based thing. But over rated? Not really its just not my cup of tea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this counts but the Nintendo Wii!

Nunchuck my arse! When I first saw it I thought 'That will be brilliant for sports games like golf or tennis' however it was so inaccurate they had to bring out a new controller add on to improve it's effectiveness. I'm sure a lot of people may disagree but personally I thought it was soooo over hyped and it never really worked to well.

Did you know - the sensor technology in the Wii remote controller is borrowed/inspired by a washing machine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically I agree with most that have been said:

GTA IV
    LA Noire
    Halo (whole franchise)
    Most Call of Duty games
    Mario Kart - sorry but how many of these bloody games can you have? There's like 7 of them out
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Uncharted series are the games that always springs to mind first for me with these threads. Portal series not far behind it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this counts but the Nintendo Wii!

Nunchuck my arse! When I first saw it I thought 'That will be brilliant for sports games like golf or tennis' however it was so inaccurate they had to bring out a new controller add on to improve it's effectiveness. I'm sure a lot of people may disagree but personally I thought it was soooo over hyped and it never really worked to well.

Did you know - the sensor technology in the Wii remote controller is borrowed/inspired by a washing machine.

you're actually critiising a company for trying to fix a problem with their controllers?
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're actually critiising a company for trying to fix a problem with their controllers?

When you have to buy the fixed controller then they do deserve to be criticised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I appreciate the fact that they did release an improved controller but the way the original was built up and explained, e.g. 'Hold it like a racket and hit the tennis ball where you want it to go', I had expected it to be alot more accurate. So I thought I was a disappointment when I realised what they had promised required me to pay then some more money!
    jim_uk wrote: »
    When you have to buy the fixed controller then they do deserve to be criticised.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Skyrim's so boring. Just running around and hitting things with swords, I mean, come on, where are the guns and headshots?? :p

Why you little !! You take that back !!

Ah no. I read this thread from the most recent post up the way (weird way but its how I do it) ... And I was thinking, at least nobody had the nerve to say Skyrim. But there's always one isn't there .........:rolleyes:

Only kiddin, swords not your thing eh ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Ever since the first halo I've thought it was an over rated franchise

For a game which called itself Halo: combat evolved it was a pretty basic FPS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTAIV
    Forza 4
    COD:MW2 & 3
    Final Fantasy

All the above are very playable for me, except Final Fantasy.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    GTA IV

Irrelevant of whether you like the game or not (it is not for me) the game scored 10's pretty much across the board at release and only the most ardent fan boys would say that it deserved that.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still Borderlands.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    True, but to be over rated, the game has to by definition be rated. It sort of has to be a pretty popular game. No point saying Space Station Silicon Valley on the n64 because about 5 people played it.

:p

:eek::eek: I loved that game as a kid. I played it recently and my god the controls are dodgy.

For me an over rated game would be Super Mario on the DS and on the Wii, I haven't finished either of them which is odd for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA IV couldn't relate to the lead character and didn't think to story was as good as the previous games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Dragon Age II/Final Fantasy XIII
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragon Age: Origins. I love it of course, but with the release of the disappointing Dragon Age 2 it suddenly started being worshipped as this epic masterpiece when it simply isn't.

GTA IV: Almost universal 10/10 scores? What a joke. It barely scrapes a 7/10. All hype and barely any substance. Seriously, I spent almost the entire time playing it going "is this it?" and "when does this get fun?".

LA Noire: I wish people would stop banging on about how innovative and brilliant it is. Yes the facial animation and voice acting is great but it's a glorified point and click adventure with repetitive gameplay and it's very flawed.

Fallout: New Vegas. Yeah, good game, but I'm tired of hearing how it's soooo much better than Fallout 3 because of it's amazing plot and couple of references to the earlier games. It's plot is no better than the mediocrity of Fallout 3's and seriously, who cares? I don't care about my character or the stupid factions or who shot me....I just want to explore the world and do sidequests and NV was vastly inferior to FO3 in this regard.
  • manc602manc602 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    MW3...expected more...got less

Duke Nukem...Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear