Tories will win no more than 2 seats in Scotland £50 bet

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
I see Andrew Neil just bet Shapps the Tory Chaian that Tories will receive no more than 2 seats in Scotland.

Andrew Neil bet is safe they will be very lucky to have any at all. As for Shapps what a plonker , I will also happily take that bet as well from the Tory buffoon.

Comments

• JohnVBJohnVB Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to take this bet.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who gives a shiny wet one, hopefully we'll be shot of Scotland next year.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you would think this is a safe bet for Neil. Ordnarily you would think that the Tories only hope for a seat in Scotland is to retain the one they already have and give up on thoughts elsewhere. However the fall in the Lib Dem vote in 2015, allied to long serving Lib Dem MPs retiring in north east constituencies that were at one time strong Tory areas and where there is still a significant Tory vote, could just if the anti-Tory votes are split allow a couple of Tory MPs to sneak in. I don't think it will happen but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.
  • morayloonmorayloon Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    However the fall in the Lib Dem vote in 2015, allied to long serving Lib Dem MPs retiring in north east constituencies that were at one time strong Tory areas and where there is still a significant Tory vote, could just if the anti-Tory votes are split allow a couple of Tory MPs to sneak in. I don't think it will happen but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.
    The North East went totally SNP in 2011. The party even managed to gain a list MSP. It was the Nationalists who benefited most from the Liberal meltdown. I, for one, would hope there.would be a similar outcome at the next UK GE. Having said that, if the referendum goes the right way the 2015 election may have little interest up here.
  • ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morayloon wrote: »
    The North East went totally SNP in 2011. The party even managed to gain a list MSP. It was the Nationalists who benefited most from the Liberal meltdown. I, for one, would hope there.would be a similar outcome at the next UK GE. Having said that, if the referendum goes the right way the 2015 election may have little interest up here.

It would be great if you went. Could you take the North East of England with you, another real economic powerhouse of the modern world, led politically by real visionaries.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more than 2 seats. They have one in the Borders, so I wonder which the other one could really be?
  • cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    No more than 2 seats. They have one in the Borders, so I wonder which the other one could really be?
    Using October's Ashcroft poll in the ScotlandVotes calculator the Tories are predicted to win a total of 3, with the two gains being:

West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk

Both currently held by the Lib Dems (the latter being Michael Moore's no less) with the Tories being the only close challengers in 2010. They also hold the equivalent Holyrood seat for the Roxburgh and its next to their present Westminster seat.

The gains would be mostly due to a wider collapse in the Lib Dem (predicted to be down to 6%) that would see the SNP pick 5 of the LD seats, Tories 2 and Labour 1 leaving the LDs with just 3 of their current 11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    ianmatt wrote: »
    It would be great if you went. Could you take the North East of England with you, another real economic powerhouse of the modern world, led politically by real visionaries.

I doubt many people would have supported that in 1940 when the South coast was under threat of invasion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Using October's Ashcroft poll in the ScotlandVotes calculator the Tories are predicted to win a total of 3, with the two gains being:

West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk

Both currently held by the Lib Dems (the latter being Michael Moore's no less) with the Tories being the only close challengers in 2010. They also hold the equivalent Holyrood seat for the Roxburgh and its next to their present Westminster seat.

The gains would be mostly due to a wider collapse in the Lib Dem (predicted to be down to 6%) that would see the SNP pick 5 of the LD seats, Tories 2 and Labour 1 leaving the LDs with just 3 of their current 11.

Thank you for naming these seats CPU. I seem to recall the LibDems won a by-election in the then Kincardine & Deeside in 1991 but lost it back to the Tories in the 1992 General Election. I think the LibDem to Labour seat would be East Dunbartonshire (currently held by Jo Swinson) with the wider Inverness seat (currently Danny Alexander) falling to the SNP. I think the 3 safe seats would be Orkney & Shetland and the 2 northermost mainland seats, including Charles Kennedy's seat.
  • cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Thank you for naming these seats CPU. I seem to recall the LibDems won a by-election in the then Kincardine & Deeside in 1991 but lost it back to the Tories in the 1992 General Election. I think the LibDem to Labour seat would be East Dunbartonshire (currently held by Jo Swinson) with the wider Inverness seat (currently Danny Alexander) falling to the SNP. I think the 3 safe seats would be Orkney & Shetland and the 2 northermost mainland seats, including Charles Kennedy's seat.
    Almost. The SNP would take Caithness with the Lib Dems holding onto North East Fife instead. The other two SNP gains from LD would be Gordon and Argyll and Bute.

You're right about East Dunbartonshire. I didn't notice that Labour would gain Edinburgh West but lose Ochil and South Perthshire to the SNP hence the overall gain of 1 for Labour (but 2 from the LDs).
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »

and if your not?

In the last 65 years the Conservatives would have had a Westminster majority without Scottish MP's only 3 times. 1959, 1983 and 1987. At every other election the Tories have won the size of their majority was equal to or less than the number of seats they won in Scotland. In fact had Cameron done as well as Maggie in 1979 in Scotland he's have a majority of 6 and no Lib Dems in his Government.

In fact without Scottish MP's they wouldn't have even been the largest party in in a number of their victories.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »

Why do you want to get rid of Scotland?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the 1992 election Scotland was the only part of the UK where the swing was in favour of the Conservatives (3%) and the only place where they made net gains, increasing from 9 seats to 11.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Almost. The SNP would take Caithness with the Lib Dems holding onto North East Fife instead. The other two SNP gains from LD would be Gordon and Argyll and Bute.

You're right about East Dunbartonshire. I didn't notice that Labour would gain Edinburgh West but lose Ochil and South Perthshire to the SNP hence the overall gain of 1 for Labour (but 2 from the LDs).

Ming Campbell must have become a very popular constituency MP for NE Fife to be such a safe LibDem seat. Mind you, he is standing down in 2015. I think this would be Labour's first ever win of Edinburgh West as it went from Tory to LibDem in 1997.
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    and if your not?

In the last 65 years the Conservatives would have had a Westminster majority without Scottish MP's only 3 times. 1959, 1983 and 1987. At every other election the Tories have won the size of their majority was equal to or less than the number of seats they won in Scotland. In fact had Cameron done as well as Maggie in 1979 in Scotland he's have a majority of 6 and no Lib Dems in his Government.

In fact without Scottish MP's they wouldn't have even been the largest party in in a number of their victories.

Indeed, in 1979 and 1992 respectively the Tories achieved 22 and 11 seats in Scotland and national majorites of 43 and 21. So halving their Scottish representation halved their national majority - and without any Scottish seats they would have narrowly missed out on outright victory both times.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why do you want to get rid of Scotland?

Because they are having a referendum on independence. He thinks that means we hate him , personally .
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Because they are having a referendum on independence. He thinks that means we hate him , personally .

What did my friend do to you that made you hate him so much?

Why did you all blank him, boycott his hotel and phone him at 4am to tell him to "F&*? off back to England".

Yeah, you Scots are a lovely bunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did my friend do to you that made you hate him so much?

Why did you all blank him, boycott his hotel and phone him at 4am to tell him to "F&*? off back to England".

Yeah, you Scots are a lovely bunch.

Yeah, I believe that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I believe that.

I don't care what you think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care what you think.

And I don't care for your made up stories
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I don't care for your made up stories

I don't make up stories.

Many of you fellow NAT's are racists, plain and simple
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't make up stories.

Many of you fellow NAT's are racists, plain and simple

So everyone in Scotland boycotted your friends hotel, everyone phoned him and swore at him. I do not think so.
    Hundreds of thousands of people of English birth live and work in Scotland quite happily.
    Oh and thanks for calling me a racist when it is you that makes anti Scottish comments.
    Quote me on an anti English comment I have made or withdraw your allegation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So everyone in Scotland boycotted your friends hotel, everyone phoned him and swore at him. I do not think so.
    Hundreds of thousands of people of English birth live and work in Scotland quite happily.
    Oh and thanks for calling me a racist when it is you that makes anti Scottish comments.
    Quote me on an anti English comment I have made or withdraw your allegation.

I don't need to apologise for there being a nasty streak of anti-English feeling amongst the Scottish Nationlists.

Its a Scottish problem, not mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't need to apologise for there being a nasty streak of anti-English feeling amongst the Scottish Nationlists.

Ok link to them then.
    And I am waiting for your apology for calling me a racist.
    instead you just indulge in more anti Scottish rhetoric, so who is the racist here. It looks like it is you
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Having now lived in Scotland for almost 4 years and spent the last 15 before then visiting 2-3 times a month, I've never noticed an anti-English feeling any stronger than the anti-northerner feeling you get in London. A few jokes here and there, but 2 English blokes watching an England - Scotland football game in a pub in Aberdeen (drinking red wine as well)caused no comment at all.

It seems to be your problem with all things that aren't English or right wing.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now lived in Scotland for almost 4 years and spent the last 15 before then visiting 2-3 times a month, I've never noticed an anti-English feeling any stronger than the anti-northerner feeling you get in London. A few jokes here and there, but 2 English blokes watching an England - Scotland football game in a pub in Aberdeen (drinking red wine as well)caused no comment at all.

It seems to be your problem with all things that aren't English or right wing.
    It depends where you live in Scotland.

In Aberdeen they were awfully anti english, spouuting off junk about the English oppressing and raping them.

Many of the yes supporters are seriously deluded. https://www.facebook.com/SaorAlbaGuBrath