Options

Shooting Bigfoot: America's Monster Hunters - Storyville

2»

Comments

• Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    There was one the other week about 'Mermaids' of all things purporting to be true!

I found 'Shooting Bigfoot' entertaining in that it amused me with some hilarious moments from a bunch of eccentric characters.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Weird but compulsive viewing.It was like a combination of This Is Spinal Tap and Blair Witch.If Christopher Guest made a mockumentary about Bigfoot hunters it wouldn't have been any funnier than this.It was hilarious.

I must admit I did jump at the end though with the close-up of "Bigfoot" lol, just because I wasn't expecting it.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Some seriously weird people on that programme, who I'd rather spend a night in the woods with less than an actual bigfoot!

The "attack" near the end was a definite jump moment but I strongly doubt it was real - if it was, it'd be one of the most famous video clips in the world by now. A hoax by either the film makers or the nutjob and serial bigfoot liar (perhaps with an accomplice dressed up) imo.

If a real Bigfoot ever was caught on camera it wouldn't be one of the most famous clips in the world because of all the hoaxes and misidentifications in the past.It would just be regarded as another sighting.
  • Options
    Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    There's been a trend for fake documentaries in recent years... and I seriously doubt there's any more truth to Big Foot than the Loch Ness Monster or fairies at the bottom of the garden.
    There's a very funny one on the Loch Ness Monster featuring Werner Herzog:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374639/
    The DVD has a hilarious spoof commentary - and a real commentary as an Easter egg!
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear thats theres quite a few of these Bigfoot investigators out there. It's strange though because I think deep down they don't want the bigfoot mystery to be solved.

They love the idea of Bigfoot, of that prized trophy wondering around the forest, and the excuse of Bigfoot to make them meet up with the guys, go into the great outdoors and set up camp. If the mystery is solved that sense of myth and comraderie will die.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The duo seemed quite convincing at first, though I was a bit taken aback when the wife of rabbit-DNA-man called him "retarded" in his presence! I'd forgotten about the car crash but that does indeed seem a bit fishy. If Matthews was in on the hoax, does that mean his facial bruises were just makeup? The programme was part-funded by the BFI so maybe it was all a clever post-modern joke!

I'm sure Morgan Matthews was in on the whole set up with Rick from the start. There is a clip of the homeless guy confirming this more or less (saying they did the shooting scene a few times). So the marks on his face were just make-up.

I think we, as viewers, were supposed to believe it was Rick hoaxing Morgan (the bigfoot was clearly a man in costume; Rick could have arranged this alone) but I think they were both hoaxing the viewers by acting it out. I'm sure that's pretty certain.

Of course the 'bigfoot' appearing on camera and the body at the end were fake - the latter was in the news, I remember. It was just a rubber suit. I wondered whether this documentary was perhaps supposed to be released along with the 'body' as a publicity stunt - seems a bit odd to release it afterwards.

However the other aspects of the film (i.e. everything else not including Rick) I'm not sure about. It would be a shame if everything was acted, but some scenes did seem hilarious - particularly with the two hillbillies. I'd really like to know the truth on that!

Regarding the existence of bigfoot... I have no idea. There are vast amounts of land which must hold some unknowns but I'm not convinced there is a bigfoot. Everything so far has been a hoax, a bit like the Loch Ness Monster.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so i take it, this is not the BBC doc where they look at the famous film from 1967 and talk to special effects guys about the probability of it being a suit

never seen it but I heard they argued that the flex in the muscle through the fur, made it impossible that it could be a man made suit