• Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why no MOWO awards?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is this some kind of local tourist attraction?
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    is the op an angry white girl? :confused:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    WAH. mum, mum, he`s got more chips than me, mum.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything this buck-toothed clothes horse won't do for some mainstream validation?

Her 'selfie' at that world leaders thing a while back, and her adoption of the 'Bring Back Our Girls' campaign. Just shut up.

I really despise the media presence of Michelle Obama. Not even Cherie Blair was this annoying.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Rock what?
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what the problem is? Black women (as well as men) are generally underprivileged and I gather this is an event to boost the confidence of young black girls and women. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can see, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick...
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what the problem is? Black women (as well as men) are generally underprivileged and I gather this is an event to boost the confidence of young black girls and women. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can see, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick...

"Generally under privileged" might not be the best term, but I don't think you have the wrong end of the stick.

If your race, gender or sexual orientation puts you in the minority you are often subject to treatment that suggests you don't "rock" to use the flippant term from the original article.

If people cannot understand why there is no need to have an equivalent event for white girls, then no explanation is going to suffice.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So does that mean we get an event called 'girls from single parent families rock' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    What's there to stop them organising one themselves?

Perhaps because they don't have an inferiority complex and therefore don't feel the need to.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait!!

What about Indian girls?
    or mixed race girls?
    or other girls?

:(
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait wait can some one tell me what I need to be outraged about again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Wait wait can some one tell me what I need to be outraged about again.

The fact that stuff like this smacks of tokenism of worst kind, that blacks are 'different somehow and need their own events', or not as good as everyone else and need a leg up, totally unessesary in the 21st century surely.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it's a rather clumsy approach to the issue that's open to multiple interpretations. I wonder if they stopped themselves at any point and asked "is this going to sound the same to everyone who hears it?"

If you want to give positive messages to minority girls then just tell them that girls rock no matter what colour they are, that way you don't risk being inadvertently divisive.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that stuff like this smacks of tokenism of worst kind, that blacks are 'different somehow and need their own events', or not as good as everyone else and need a leg up somehow, totally unessesary in the 21st century surely.

Oh I see. I am outraged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Oh I see. I am outraged!

Then you should've added one of these >:(!
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    The fact that stuff like this smacks of tokenism of worst kind, that blacks are 'different somehow and need their own events', or not as good as everyone else and need a leg up, totally unessesary in the 21st century surely.

Did you think the same when black people were not allowed to attend the events of white people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Did you think the same when black people were not allowed to attend the events of white people?

Name such an event in the 21st century and a klu klux klan party doesn't count.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait!!

What about Indian girls?
    or mixed race girls?
    or other girls?

:(

And why just girls?

Then is would just be erm..... rock
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Name such an event in the 21st century and a klu klux klan party doesn't count.

You know that I wasn't talking about the 21st century with my comment.

But I suppose they should just move on and forget about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know that I wasn't talking about the 21st century with my comment.

But I suppose they should just move on and forget about it.

Tbh I didn't think you were, but in the past many faced discrimination for many reasons, women, the working classes, the Irish, many boarding houses years ago stated 'no blacks, no Irish and no dogs, but times have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tbh I didn't think you were, but in the past many faced discrimination for many reasons, women, the working classes, the Irish, many boarding houses years ago stated 'no blacks, no Irish and no dogs, but times have changed.

Yet in Vinbas post just above yours you'll see that in some places it hasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet in Vinbas post just above yours you'll see that in some places it hasn't.

Sometimes I think Americans are very like us because we speak the same language, but culturally we are poles apart sometimes.