Options

MOT testing

mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would a Northern Ireland registered car/bike require a G.B MOT test if it was used in GB after reaching 3 years old,(the first N.I MOT test is due at 4 years old) or can it be driven legally since it is not G.B registered.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    Would a Northern Ireland registered car/bike require a G.B MOT test if it was used in GB after reaching 3 years old,(the first N.I MOT test is due at 4 years old) or can it be driven legally since it is not G.B registered.

As long as it's still registered under the Irish address, and it's taxed in Ireland, then it should be fine.

But once it reaches four years you might have to drive it back to get it MOT'd?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »

There is no requirement to have the vehicle tested at 3 years old as long as it is still NI registered, but it must be roadworthy to use it in GB. You can be prosecuted or be held liable if the vehicle is inspected or involved in an accident and is found to be unroadworthy.

At the 4th year, it must be tested, either in GB or NI to get a valid certificate.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Why is it 4 years in NI and 3 in the rest of the UK?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (So I'm told) But after you have used the car for a year in GB, you must re-register & tax it in GB, which requires, then, a GB MOT under GB rules.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies, I only intend to visit for a few days.
    Juelsandsand, N.I has a different licensing authority to Britain and a different mot test