The Ice cream girls. ITV.

Comments

• SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the book
    I'm sure the 'girlfriend' is actually his wife or ex wife and its her that comes back and finishes him off. Poppy's relationship with her family is also very good, they complete disconnect with her. The abuse shown by Marcus is a lot more horrific. Having the ex do it in the book was more surprising as she is mentioned far less than she was in the programme

Hope that satisfies some curiosity :)
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppy was guilty of GBH but was trying to protect her friend.
    Don't understand why Serena wouldn't admit in court his abuse to her unless she felt it would give her a motive in the eyes of the court.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I thought it was the older girlfriend so what a great shocker!!! Loved tonight's episode so many twist and turns and so glad both Poppy and Serena got a happy ending, but after reading this thread, think I need to read the book!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy wrote: »
    In the book
    I'm sure the 'girlfriend' is actually his wife or ex wife and its her that comes back and finishes him off. Poppy's relationship with her family is also very good, they complete disconnect with her. The abuse shown by Marcus is a lot more horrific. Having the ex do it in the book was more surprising as she is mentioned far less than she was in the programme

I think in the book there was also a closer relationship between Serena and her sister, she used to confide in her whereas that side of things wasn't really developed on the tv programme.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    Poppy was guilty of GBH but was trying to protect her friend.
    Don't understand why Serena wouldn't admit in court his abuse to her unless she felt it would give her a motive in the eyes of the court.

Shame, not wanting to go into it, in public, maybe she hadn't admitted to her Family or Legal rep (probably a friend of her Mum's).
    She was in love with the bloke and thought Poppy had manipulated her into finishing with him and stabbed him.
    She probably thought Poppy deserved to go to prison and wasn't going to help her case with extenuating circumstances.

You're also right, it could have been because her legal rep told her or she thought it wasn't a good idea to put herself in further 'in the frame'

Shame the Sister wasn't fleshed out a little more, so we could understand why she took the view she did.
    Drama queen younger Sister always getting off lightly and causing no end of trouble, maybe she just disliked her for that?
    Forum Member
    Squishy wrote: »
    In the book

I can see why the Author wasn't happy with the show then.
    They seem to have hugely c0cked about with the storyline for no good reason.
    I can think of, a reason though, the Cancer karma, lie eating a way at you thing, as someone else mentioned it earlier.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Shame, not wanting to go into it, in public, maybe she hadn't admitted to her Family or Legal rep (probably a friend of her Mum's).
    She was in love with the bloke and thought Poppy had manipulated her into finishing with him and stabbed him.
    She probably thought Poppy deserved to go to prison and wasn't going to help her case with extenuating circumstances.

You're also right, it could have been because her legal rep told her or she thought it wasn't a good idea to put herself in further 'in the frame'

Shame the Sister wasn't fleshed out a little more, so we could understand why she took the view she did.
    Drama queen younger Sister always getting off lightly and causing no end of trouble, maybe she just disliked her for that?

I assume she took that view as Poppy had already served time for the crime; she couldn't get those 15 years back and therefore why put her mother through it all. Not saying it would be ok for her mum just to be left to live out the short time she had left in peace, but Serena's sister thought that.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't quite understand is, why would Serena believe for all those years that Poppy stabbed him once in sheer panic, then run to get help only to return to stab him another 10 times. The evidence read out in court surely would have been enough to have them both having serious doubts!

I'm sure the book makes it a lot clearer.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so was poppys conviction overturned? it wasnt clear

in real life shed get millions in compensation and it'd be all over the news
    Forum Member
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    The thing I don't quite understand is, why would Serena believe for all those years that Poppy stabbed him once in sheer panic, then run to get help only to return to stab him another 10 times. The evidence read out in court surely would have been enough to have them both having serious doubts!

Why would anyone else turn up and stab him, if Serena hadn't done it and she'd already seen Poppy stab him?
    Poppy ran off in panic and because Serena told her to, nothing about going to get help initially.
    What evidence, would have given either of them doubts, because they both said they didn't do it?
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member

It may seem odd to us that Poppy may do just that, but as somebody came into the house, it's plausible for Serena to think Poppy had returned; who else would it be? I mean as far as Serena was concerned. As for Poppy she just assumed Serena stabbed him when she went to the phone. So when it came out in court it wouldn't make any difference to what they believed.
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    so was poppys conviction overturned? it wasnt clear

in real life shed get millions in compensation and it'd be all over the news

We'll have to assume it would have been overturned, given that Serena's Mum admitted to the crime.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    So mum did it, but let her daughter stand trial? What would she have done if the daughter had been found guilty? Owning up would have been a waste of time at that point.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone else turn up and stab him, if Serena hadn't done it and she'd already seen Poppy stab him?
    Poppy ran off in panic and because Serena told her to, nothing about going to get help initially.
    What evidence, would have given either of them doubts, because they both said they didn't do it?

Serena told Poppy to go and get help, Poppy called 999 and stated there was a man hurt and needs help:confused:

That 999 call would have been evidence in court, so we are lead to believe that a jury hears the call and then she returns to stab him another 10 times ?
    Forum Member
    Serena told Poppy to go and get help, Poppy called 999 and stated there was a man hurt and needs help:confused:

That 999 call would have been evidence in court, so we are lead to believe that a jury hears the call and then she returns to stab him another 10 times ?

You've only got Poppy's word that she phoned after the first stabbing, she could have phoned in panic after the 11 stabbings.
    Poppy admitted in the Police interview that she was there, she stabbed him once.
    Then it's down to who you believe and who's got the better legal rep.
    Poppy says he's a violent manipulator who raped Serena, Serena says he didn't rape her.
    Who looks like a liar, from the off?
    Who looked better in Court, the crying emotional middle class Serena or the disengaged/confused outsider Poppy?
    It's one of those two in the frame.
    Poppy probably blood traces on her clothes and body too.

You'd need strong evidence of someone else involved that night to get Serena or Poppy out of the frame
  • chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    No wonder the author wasn't pleased. Merely a sensationalist ending done for the shock factor. I felt it was a slight let down and anti climax.

Completely ironic that Serena's mum killed the teacher, especially with her being a well respected, upstanding member of the community who was also a solicitor. Hmm - didn't cross her mind that her actions, had they came to light at the time, would have totally damaged her career (murder and perverting the course of justice) and all she could say was "any parent would have done the same" and an excuse of how she'd seen many rape victims be let down by the court system. When yet, she let down the administration of justice and let an innocent 17 year old girl go to prison and yet she didn't show the slightest hint of remorse for that (so much for women's issues!).

No wonder the sister didn't want this little story to come to light as the good family business would have been totally tarnished.

I'm glad Poppy got a happy ending tho.
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    So mum did it, but let her daughter stand trial? What would she have done if the daughter had been found guilty? Owning up would have been a waste of time at that point.

I'm guessing, she told Serena to lie in court and to lay it on thick. They did say that she hired very good legal representation, especially with mummy's connections. Haha, if she'd been found guilty, it would have served her right (as my above post), she'd have been in a catch 22 situation - own up - lose her career, don't own up - let Serena remain in prison.

its actually mental she let her stand trial in the first place all things considered.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was completely daft "Poppy" wasnt "Innocent" as the blurb had said, how would she have known the first "Stab" wouldnt have killed him? GBH at least, and a young girl in those circumstances would probably have been convicted of Manslaughter, and would never have served 17 years.
  • ButtonmoonButtonmoon Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't the mothers fingerprints have been on the knife?

And the conversation serena and poppy had where each other couldn't believe the other one didn't go back inside, surely that would have been gone over in detail in the trial?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Buttonmoon wrote: »
    Wouldn't the mothers fingerprints have been on the knife?

She was holding the knife with a towel.

I think I will watch these again as I read the book in between episode 2 and 3 so have confused myself with what I watched :o

Shame they changed the ending from the book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a gripping series and I never guessed 'whodunit' (I thought it was the ex-girlfriend).

I thought the actress who played Poppy was terrific, she had such an air of haunted vulnerability about her, having to put up with the awful stepfather and the lack of support from her mother.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a gripping series and I never guessed 'whodunit' (I thought it was the ex-girlfriend).

I thought the actress who played Poppy was terrific, she had such an air of haunted vulnerability about her, having to put up with the awful stepfather and the lack of support from her mother.

yes - that was awful, but happens all the time in the real world.:(
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    She was holding the knife with a towel.

I think I will watch these again as I read the book in between episode 2 and 3 so have confused myself with what I watched :o

Shame they changed the ending from the book.

Her footprints would have also been in the house but I don't think DNA was very advanced back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this series. However, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good had it not been for the fabulous Jodhi May.

I found the actress who played the older Serena was really dull, and her character did not capture me at all.
  • wonderwheels28wonderwheels28 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched the series this afternoon, really enjoyed it, but the book was much better IMHO, but I read it a long time ago, am I right in saying in the book it was his girlfriend who came in & killed in the end.