welcome to Peter Capaldi! An amazing choice!

Comments

• Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy at all. Wrong choice. Completely.

Who would be the right choice, then?

And why is he the wrong choice?

He's an equally valid choice as just about anyone else. I was hoping for somebody more unexpected, but I'm happy to wait and see how he turns out.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,473
    Forum Member
    Don't agree with those suggesting this is a safe, dull choice. Really, it's anything but.

It's going to mean a significant change in the tone of the show - Capaldi won't be hanging off the sides of buildings, tumbling down chimneys or jumping out of planes the way Tennant and Smith have. I actually imagine the commercial, marketing folk at BBC Worldwide might be a little reticent about the choice. They're not selling a dashing action hero any more and you can't really imagine Capaldi posing in front of hoards of screaming fans at Comic Con, can you?

Good for Moffat and the producers through - they've obviously had the gumption to do what they thought was best for the show and explore a different tone. They've certainly got an excellent actor, so we'll see how it goes. I'm intrigued.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Fantastic choice imo. Great actor and it's good to go a bit different to recent Doctors.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great choice and brave but the right decision to move away from the younger actors.

I've just seen TFOP on the news. The one where DT takes his hand and says 'come with me'. This may be referenced to in the script. Just a thought as DW10 did break the rules and went back to save someone, therefore corrupting timelines.
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Capaldi is a brilliant choice and can't wait to see him in the tardis.

Imagine if he played it in Malcom Tucker fashion, "pass my f@cking screwdriver you c@nt"
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I am not sure about this at all. His portrayal of the home secretary in Children of The Earth made me very uncomfortable and I stopped watching Torchwood altogether after that disaster. I haven't really seen Peter in anything else but what I did see in Torchwood I didn't like. Going to reserve judgement until I have actually seen him as the Doctor but at the moment I am underwhelmed and disappointed. I was hoping for Aneurin Barnard.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Awesome choice! My only slight concern is that he's also in the BBC's remake of the Three Muskerhounds. Not sure how large his role is in that but now we have a showrunner and lead actor splitting their workload.

If it's just one series - it has already been filmed.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that I am not sure about this at all. His portrayal of the home secretary in Children of The Earth made me very uncomfortable and I stopped watching Torchwood altogether after that disaster. I haven't really seen Peter in anything else but what I did see in Torchwood I didn't like. Going to reserve judgement until I have actually seen him as the Doctor but at the moment I am underwhelmed and disappointed. I was hoping for Aneurin Barnard.

Interesting. I thought his performance deserved awards and COE was one of the best things RTD ever wrote.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot more positivity over capaldi than when matt smith took over when everything was negative. Top choice, I was expecting an unknown, thought his favourite tag was a smoke screen.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

He was the only good character in Torchwood. And he was just in a special.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brings a tear to my eye!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent choice. A real actor with a wide range, loads of gravitas and huge screen presence. I hope the stories do him justice as I think he's going to be fantastic.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah I second that.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

Watch TFOP.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least there will be no love interest between him and Clara. Maybe they'll recast the assisants role also now that there's an older Doctor.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    If it's just one series - it has already been filmed.

I assumed it would be a continuing series, like Robin Hood, Merlin etc? Depending on how well the first series goes down of course...

Anyway. I'm excited about what a change in direction this will bring. At 55, it puts Peter as the same age as Hartnell was when he took on the role. I guess they may bring in another younger companion to handle more of the action scenes?
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Yes I saw Fires of Pompeii and I have to say he didn't wow me in that either.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we have a poll asking if he is a good choice or not mods?
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Fantastic choice. Fine actor, and a different kind of Doctor guaranteed now.

I'd pay good money to see him play the Doctor in full Malcolm Tucker mode, but barring it become Late Night Doctor Who that ain't gonna happen! :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to eat a bit of humble pie, as I was rather cynical of Capaldi's favourite status because I felt people were assuming that things would go down the same way as last time.

However, that withstanding, I am happy with the choice, he is a terrific actor. Look forward to seeing him in the role. :)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Delighted it is Peter Capaldi.

But what a tortuous and excruciating platform to announce it on, like Peter Capadi had come first in some god awful X Factor fanfare who acid trip in the mind of a 7 year old Jeward fan.

A room full of British Whovians being asked to act like they are on X factor :D Ahhhh the little things in life.:D

In a kazillion to one shot within the massive world of the Internet....please never do it like that again.
  • hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Right up until it was announced I was against it, but I've rethought my prejudgement already. He was very disturbing as the Angel Islington in Neverwhere, working with Neil Gaiman. I think he could be a much darker Doctor, on the way to becoming the Valeyard.
  • JulessJuless Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Great choice because he is an exceptional actor.

I've loved him since his first big part in Local Hero and he was so good in the Crow Road. As he played The Angel Islington in the TV production of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, I'm hoping there'll be more episodes written by Neil too!
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting another young Doctor AGAIN! Nice to see a middle-aged Doctor back! Peter is two years older than me too - that makes me feel good! (He's better-looking than me too - that makes me sulk!).
    At least we can get back to the elder Doctor being like an 'Uncle' to his companions rather than a lover!

Actually imagine if he meets River;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everyone should watch this. What an actor Peter is.