UK shows you've stopped watching

kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a thread on TV shows US about which shows US shows you've stopped watching, so thought I'd start a similar one for UK shows. [My apologies if there already is a thread like this - I looked but couldn't find one].

I've stopped watching James Martin's Saturday Kitchen - plus avoid all other cooking shows.

BBC's Breakfast - seems to have gone flat since moving to Manchester (not the fault of Manchester, of course, but possibly because of some of the presenters they now have).

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how far you have to go along before you "stop watching". There are plent of shows I've watched the first episode of, and decided I didn't want to watch any more.

I could do a list, but it can be summarised as anything with david walliams or james coeden in. And quite a lot with dawn french or gryff jones.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching the sitcom Chickens after two episodes.
    I stopped watching S2 of This is Jinsy halfway through.

I haven't watched Ep6 of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle but it's still in my planner.

I have epsiodes of James Martin's Home Comforts and the new Sprink Kitchen on my planner but not sure if i'll ever get around to watching them.

Saturday Kitchen I pick and choose from guest chefs and recipies as to whether I watch it. I can usually get through it in 30mins or less.
  • i4nic8i4nic8 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I've stopped watching Saturday Kitchen because nobody washes their hands.

Corrie St has become Deadheaders [oops I mean Eastenders] with northern accents, so although I may still view it if it happens to be on, it has been removed from my series link..
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching Shameless around 2010
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Coronation Street last year after twenty years of faithful viewing. It was a combination of Hayley's storyline which was just too depressing as someone close to me was going through the same illness and a growing lack of interest in the storylines in general. I have never been tempted to go back to it.

Stopped watching Strictly Come Dancing half way through the last run.

Also running out of steam with Downton Abbey. Not sure I'll want to watch the next series.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching ITV in about 1984.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've stopped watching:
    Lorraine Kelly
    BGT, X-Factor, Strictly
    Anything to do with antiques
    Deal or No Deal
    Countdown (but will watch again if they ever replace that terrible Nick wotsisname)
    Corrie, Emmerdale, Eastenders
    I'm a Celebrity
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Ex-Coronation Street fan here. I watched it for the best part of 30 years but stopped watching a few years ago after realising what a huge steaming turd the show has become.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Good Morning Britain.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders
    Coronationation Street

All of the above about 3 years ago, never looked back since. :D
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Another Ex-Coronation Street fan here. I watched it for the best part of 30 years but stopped watching a few years ago after realising what a huge steaming turd the show has become.

Sheer poetry :D:o

I will never stop watching Corrie - but have turned off X Factor for the last few seasons.... neither, did I watch the final DOI.....
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sainsbury. The actual name escapes me.

Edit: Mr Selfridge.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gogglebox
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any cooking program.

BGT after first episode of first series.

XFactor after the way Danyl Johnson was treated.
    (although I will watch the odd act on YouTube if there's a lot of fuss about it).

And when they bring back Broadchurch, I probably won't watch it after the disappointment of the way they wound up the first series.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »

Me too, round about the time the scriptwriters were relying too much on nutty David Platt storylines and real life stories were in danger of being lost in favour of surreal and unlikely scenarios.

Pity really, because I liked the Roy and Haley characters.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be a regular Coronation Street viewer too but now I really couldn't care less.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Good Morning Britain :D

Stopped watching The Apprentice after they started looking for media careers out of it and couldn't care less whether they won or not.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale. I lost track of what was happening in them during the 2006 World Cup and I haven't watched any of them since!
    Forum Member
    bidleybip wrote: »
    Stopped watching Shameless around 2010
    I gave up sometime during series 4 I think
    Forum Member
    i4nic8 wrote: »
    I've stopped watching Saturday Kitchen because nobody washes their hands.
    What does it matter? You're not eating the food :confused:
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother. An idea that was fun for the first couple of years, but got old very quickly after that.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up on X Factor last year, and so did the wife who was a X Factor fanatic. The shite acts, sobs stories and shit judges, particularly that virulent, hateful old bastard, Sharon Osbourne was the final straw.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Gave up on X Factor last year, and so did the wife who was a X Factor fanatic. The shite acts, sobs stories and shit judges, particularly that virulent, hateful old bastard, Sharon Osbourne was the final straw.
    X Factor was always like that. It was just with ad nauseum repetition of the same formula year after year more people cottoned on to just what a pile of shite it always had been.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dropped out of the soaps over the course of maybe eight years from having watched them all basically once upon a time. Then suddenly in 2001 I gave up on Hollyoaks and Neighbours in the same week. I watched Brookside right till the bitter end, but with EastEnders the damage was done after the terrible mess that was Den Watt's exit, though I did stick with it maybe another 8 or 9 months before finally finishing with it when Grant Mitchell's return didn't really change anything.

That left Emmerdale and Coronation Street - those dropped-out some years later largely because there were just so many episodes every week, I eventually stopped bothering. The only soap I still follow is an Australian one, Home and Away, which is something of a guilty pleasure based on my mum watching it when I was a child, and enjoying the stunning scenery (I visited the beach last year - very surreal :D).

I watched Silk last year but couldn't be bothered with it this last series, but otherwise I'm quite tolerant, but mostly because there's so much I don't bother with to begin with. I tend to just catch-up on shows if they receive strong critical praise, and follow from there.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a new soap could make it big by reflecting real life like the way Corrie did up to about the early 90's and not the constant deceit, infidelity and far fetched story lines that are the norm now, during the 70's and 80's I could identify with the characters because I knew people like Stan and Hilda, Bet Lynch, Elsie Tanner, Eddie Yeates and Ken Barlow and many others, the story lines reflected real life and everyone wasnt shagging everyone else, there are far far too many good looking young people in the soaps nowadays, it just isnt a reflection of any life I know or have known or am ever likely to know, like someone else said they are a steaming pile of turd.