The Mary Berry Story

12346»

Comments

• CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she really is a lovely lady though I was mad at the subtitles for spelling Wycombe Hospital as Wickham :mad: she lives in the next village to mine and the village of Penn in Bucks is very proud to have Mary Berry living there.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    she really is a lovely lady though I was mad at the subtitles for spelling Wycombe Hospital as Wickham :mad: she lives in the next village to mine and the village of Penn in Bucks is very proud to have Mary Berry living there.

*waves*

I live in Bucks too. Not for from Amersham.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this - I assumed last night's was the first, but think I must have missed one. Such a warm, lovely lady and love her elegance and sense of style - and humour!

You can still get up 1 on iPlayer. Recommended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It looked a lovely village, they showed Mary walking her dog around it. Would like to live there myself!
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider the amount of cake and other baked stuff she and her family must get through, none of them are obese.
    When she tastes food on the TV, she actually eats it. Dosen't have a tiny sliver and then spits it out.

Even the bread baking man with his own oven in the garden was really skinny.

Everyone I know who is on a diet, tries to cut out stuff like carbs and wheat. They must be doing something right.
    I've been lucky enough to be on a baking day with Mary Berry, and she was asked how come she isn't the size of a house
    She said that in the GBBO she always tries a small bit of everything offered, but that's it. She only has enough to get a decent taste and stops. It's the ability to stop that gives her the figure she has. And it's what I safly lack.
    She is as lovely when you meet her as when you see her on telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad I watched this programme, Mary Berry is such a gem.

It was so sad to hear her talking about William, I cried.

Me too. :cry: Lovely lady and a really enjoyable programme.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many ways, compared to a lot of celebrities, she has had an ordinary life.

I know she has had great tragedy, but compared to a lot of famous people who are in and out of rehab, marry famous people lots of times and then split up, go on reality shows, have loads of plastic surgery etc.

She could just be any other middle class woman living in a nice village?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Agree with the sheer class comment. You might like to know that Mary is already in receipt of the CBE, which as 'Commander' is the highest of the Empire honours :)

Ah is she! Shes a delight on great british bake off and I love her manner on that. However in watching a bit more of her you get an insight into what built her into this person we get on screen. I think she deserves a bit more recognition this year again with something. Her relationship with paul is great too. And there is nothing funnier than mel gently teasing her with that sharp humour. "Blinfolds on! You know you love it Mary" made me laugh out loud and she takes the teasing so well!
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is everything that is good about being British.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Ah is she! Shes a delight on great british bake off and I love her manner on that. However in watching a bit more of her you get an insight into what built her into this person we get on screen. I think she deserves a bit more recognition this year again with something. Her relationship with paul is great too. And there is nothing funnier than mel gently teasing her with that sharp humour. "Blinfolds on! You know you love it Mary" made me laugh out loud and she takes the teasing so well!

I agree with everything you say esp. the recognition.
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    She is everything that is good about being British.

Exactly.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    I've been lucky enough to be on a baking day with Mary Berry, and she was asked how come she isn't the size of a house
    She said that in the GBBO she always tries a small bit of everything offered, but that's it. She only has enough to get a decent taste and stops. It's the ability to stop that gives her the figure she has. And it's what I safly lack.
    She is as lovely when you meet her as when you see her on telly.

Thanks for that. She obviously has great will power!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    white chocolate icing on here for anyone that wants it:

http://social.marksandspencer.com/recipes/mary-berrys-christmas-sweet-treats/
    Thank you, I do. :) I shall make it tomorrow and if it looks anything like Mary's I'll post a photo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    *waves*

I live in Bucks too. Not for from Amersham.

hello in Amersham, Im in Hazlemere ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looked a lovely village, they showed Mary walking her dog around it. Would like to live there myself!

hi Christa Ellen, Penn is a very picturesque place Mary's husband runs the bookshop there as far as I can remember :)
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junnja wrote: »
    Funny how you never see her and Bruce Forsyth in the same room, at the same time.

Ok, I'll probably regret asking this, but WTF are you trying to say???? Mary is LOVELY! Feminine, gentle, sincere. In what way does she resemble Bruce Forsyth to the point where you think it's ok to make that sort of joke?

If you think you're being 'witty' and 'clever' please know that you are neither.
    lundavra wrote: »
    They are both repeated at the weekend, BBC2 15:30 on Saturday and 15:40 on Sunday.

THANK YOU so much for that information - I had the second part in the planner to record, only to find one of my children had deleted it! So I only saw the last 20 minutes or so in the end. I know I have iplayer, but it's not the same as watching it on TV! So now it IS in the planner (and it's staying there!) so I can catch up on it properly!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll probably regret asking this, but WTF are you trying to say???? Mary is LOVELY! Feminine, gentle, sincere. In what way does she resemble Bruce Forsyth to the point where you think it's ok to make that sort of joke?

If you think you're being 'witty' and 'clever' please know that you are neither.}

Well said jerseyporter.
    Mary berry is a very knowledgeable and classy lady.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Absolutely wonderful woman and a real pioneer. what a fantastic life she built for her self, I was sorry to hear about her son William.

Why is it that all the horrible things happen to the nice ones?

I had never heard of her before but glad I do now.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching this now - the moment where she spoke about William had me in bits.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Trust me, it's not just you ;)

Indeed - he's a gorgeous hunk :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    hello in Amersham, Im in Hazlemere ;)

I'm not in the area any more but used to live near Chalfont St Giles and went to school in Beaconsfield so HELLOOOOOO!! :D
    hi Christa Ellen, Penn is a very picturesque place Mary's husband runs the bookshop there as far as I can remember :)

Gosh - I used to go into that bookshop a lot when I lived there. I was wondering if it was still there as I'm going back a good few years!!