Do you think black people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the Police?.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    A lot of people get into the police force specifically to get the power to act on their prejudices.

How can these differences ever be solved with an attitude like that? On the one hand you accuse the police of generalisation by targetting people on stop and search based on the colour of their skin yet on the other hand you are making such generalisation about police officers?
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    How can these differences ever be solved with an attitude like that? On the one hand you accuse the police of generalisation by targetting people on stop and search based on the colour of their skin yet on the other hand you are making such generalisation about police officers?

It's the truth. Some get in because they want to stop the bad guys and others get in simply because they've got an axe to grind.

Just calling it as I see it. I generally don't trust the police and avoid them if I can.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    That's brutal.:(

As much as it annoyed me when I happened I didn't put it down to being a Scottish thing seeing as we get racist comments here in South London too... Some people are just idiots, regardless of where in the world they are from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the truth. Some get in because they want to stop the bad guys and others get in simply because they've got an axe to grind.

Perhaps so. But then on the other hand when in an area it is one race carrying the knives (the well known black on black crime in the inner London areas) you can't really blame the police either to target that group of people.

Trust works both ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps so. But then on the other hand when in an area it is one race carrying the knives (the well known black on black crime in the inner London areas) you can't really blame the police either to target that group of people.

Trust works both ways.

There is a big difference though between stopping and searching someone because you have a genuine reason to suspect that they may be carrying a knife, and stopping them for no other reason than because they are black.

The majority of black males who are not carrying weapons or drugs are being unfairly treated because of the actions of the minority. In my books, targeting a whole group of people based on the colour of their skin is quite simply racism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Yes.

Obviously not all black people do have a chip on their shoulder at all, I would never suggest that.

But I recall a man on the news speaking about Mark Duggan's shooting, and he almost painted out this picture of the police gunning down black people daily, which is nonsensical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trust works both ways.

That is true but one also has to assess the behaviour and mannerisms of the person too. Because the fact of the matter is, not every black person you see on the street is carrying a knife, certainly not myself. If I'm wearing my smart pant suit or smart office dress on my way to work and I'm burying my head in my comic book I don't expect to be treated like Britain's Most Wanted. Common sense and rationality needs to be applied to one's own prejudices so that these so-called professionals don't end up making silly mistakes. The mere colour of somebody's skin is not "reasonable suspicion" to stop a person otherwise everybody would be scared of every black person ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    There is a big difference though between stopping and searching someone because you have a genuine reason to suspect that they may be carrying a knife, and stopping them for no other reason than because they are black.

The majority of black males who are not carrying weapons or drugs are being unfairly treated because of the actions of the minority.

The majority always suffers because of the bad things the minority does. It is not exclusive to the black race.

And you haven't addressed the point I was making. If within an area there is a lot of black on black knife crime, what is the use of stopping a white person?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The majority of black males who are not carrying weapons or drugs are being unfairly treated because of the actions of the minority. In my books, targeting a whole group of people based on the colour of their skin is quite simply racism.

Beat me to it. :D
    And you haven't addressed the point I was making. If within an area there is a lot of black on black knife crime, what is the use of stopping a white person?

Because there may be white people carrying a knife too. Just because within in the area majority is black doesn't mean you turn a blind eye to somebody who could be a suspect because they're not black. That's crazy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a mixed-race woman the 2 BIB are things that I've also experienced...

I also had a PCSO tell me that I can't moan about my 2 year daughter being subject to racist abuse in the park because I asked for it by having a baby with a black man.

Was this recently? (not that it's any better if it was in the 1980s or before)

If it was recently and I was you I would do my best to get him sacked since he's obviously a racist scumbag like whoever racially abused your daughter. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority always suffers because of the bad things the minority does. It is not exclusive to the black race.

Because there are not zero white people carrying knives...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just calling it as I see it. I generally don't trust the police and avoid them if I can.

That's actually true unfortunately.

I watched a Cop Show once and actually was witnessing a bent officer right in front of my eyes, there was this big bald bully of a man and there was this little skinny scrote, not really causing harm but was intoxicated and profaning towrds the officer, but not physically threatening him, so the officer rammed him into the wall very hard. Then the same cop was threatening to break a protesters nose in another episode.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I'm white myself.I don't understand why black people seem to always be on the news,slagging off the Police.
    I've alaways had the highest regard for the Police.They've never given me any hassle.
    Am i missing something?.What do you think?.

If you want to to know why people of ethnic backgrounds are concerned by the prospect of bad treatment by the police and of institutional racism as a whole, then you should read up on the Stephen Lawrence case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this recently? (not that it's any better if it was in the 1980s or before)

If it was recently and I was you I would do my best to get him sacked since he's obviously a racist scumbag like whoever racially abused your daughter. :(

It was summer of 2013... I already said that I spoke to my MP and she made a complaint on my behalf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was summer of 2013... I already said that I spoke to my MP and she made a complaint on my behalf.

I've never seen racism like that before. I mean I've heard a lot of casual racism before, but I've honestly never seen someone make a blatantly prejudiced comment like that before. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I picked Option 2. I was meant to pick Option 3 but I don't know why I picked Option 2.
    From my observation, It's mostly black people that get announced on the news for being involved in a crime and I'm black myself. But the races of people who commit crimes and is basically 50/50 as there are White people who commit crimes as well as Black people but I'm not saying that they don't announce White people on the news for committing crimes.
    Some police officers then seem to victimise Black people and assume every black person commits crimes and they start questioning them or eyeing them up.
    Luckily that has never happened to me because if it did, I would report that officer straight away.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chip on shoulder is maybe not quite right way to put it... but institutional racism is a fact of life and those subject to it are going to notice more than those who are not exposed to it
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the chip on shoulder is not exclusive to those of a black origin by any stretch of the imagination.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Police are unpopular with black criminals. They are also unpopular with white criminals.

Basically, they are unpopular with criminals. :)
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    The Police are unpopular with black criminals. They are also unpopular with white criminals.

Basically, they are unpopular with criminals. :)

Unless you are implying that all blacks are criminals I fail to see what that observation has to do with a thread about whether or not black people in general have a chip on their shoulder about the police.

Personally I think that the police, as a whole, are not as racist as they where in the past but have still got some way to go in cleaning up their act.

Unfortunately, for various cultural and economic reasons, in some areas blacks are disproportionately engaged in street crime and one effective means of combating that is stop and search. But that gives some police officers an opportunity to exercise their prejudices.

It will be some time before the damage done by the gross institutional racism of the past will be forgotten even if the police were perfect now, which they're not.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police will tend to stop anyone who looks like they belong to the criminal community.

Thus making it less likely they will carry guns and knives. And therefore making us safer. It is your civic duty not to keep moaning if you get stopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    The police will tend to stop anyone who looks like they belong to the criminal community.

Thus making it less likely they will carry guns and knives. And therefore making us safer. It is your civic duty not to keep moaning if you get stopped.

And how do we deduce that one belongs to the criminal community?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Maybe you don't realise how incredibly 'racist' the police are?

You're something like 1,000% more likely to be stopped and searched if you are black or Asian. What other conclusion can be drawn from that?

Is it any suprise black people have a chip on their shoulder with police discrimination? :confused:

Data published last year shows that the actual incidence of black or Asian people in England and Wales experiencing a stop and search is between 6 - 7 times greater than the incidence of white people undergoing the same experience, not 1000%, - although there are bound to be regional fluctuations.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Maybe you don't realise how incredibly 'racist' the police are?

You're something like 1,000% more likely to be stopped and searched if you are black or Asian. What other conclusion can be drawn from that?

Is it any suprise black people have a chip on their shoulder with police discrimination? :confused:

I've been smoking pot for years - I'm white and never been caught or cautioned or anything like that, but you can bet your bottom dollar if I was black I would have been randomly stopped or pulled over and had some discovered on me at some point.

I think it's both option A and B..

On Channel 4's '24 Hours in A&E' a black lady who'd gone to hospital to see her teenage son ( a stab victim if I remember correctly ) said that young black men are doing themselves no favours because they're more likely to be in violent gangs than young white men and statistics from this particular hospital 'Kings College' backed that up. Of course, this might be because many young black men come from poor backgrounds, where they generally have fewer prospects in life.

And whilst smoking pot is illegal, you can't compare it to gang related violence, where guns and knives are a regular occurrence. Whilst watching the programme, i was amazed at how many stabbed or shot black men came into A&E during the course of the series. There was the odd young white man who was a victim of gun or knive crime but this particular hospital saw more black youths for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I think it's both option A and B..

On Channel 4's '24 Hours in A&E' a black lady who'd gone to hospital to see her teenage son ( a stab victim if I remember correctly ) said that young black men are doing themselves no favours because they're more likely to be in violent gangs than young white men and statistics from this particular hospital 'Kings College' backed that up. Of course, this might be because many young black men come from poor backgrounds, where they generally have fewer prospects in life.

And whilst smoking pot is illegal, you can't compare it to gang related violence, where guns and knives are a regular occurrence. Whilst watching the programme, i was amazed at how many stabbed or shot black men came into A&E during the course of the series. There was the odd young white man who was a victim of gun or knive crime but this particular hospital saw more black youths for this.

Firstly, you cant trust channel 4. It's genuinely a freak show and they are very good at manipulating the public into seeing things a certain way.

Secondly, I've always hated the "poor backgrounds" excuse, I really can't comprehend how being poor automatically turns one into a criminal. If you're poor surely the best way is to go to school, go to college get good grades and progress? I personally think the whole gangster thing black boys adopt comes from - and some people may roll their eyes - all that Hip Hop rubbish which essentially glamorises the thug lifestyle.

Just find it hard to believe that living your life day to day with the possibility of being stabbed or going to jail is somehow easier than staying in school.