Comments

• PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    You bringing this old chestnut up again
    1) You do not know what time they go home
    2) You do not know what time they arrive
    3)The young girl who does the update you have no idea what else she does in the newsroom during the day or evening.
    4) How do you know she does four days a week she might work on a Friday in the newsroom.

You do not seem to grasp the idea that people do not turn up at 5.59am go and sit ona sofa then walk out of the building at 9.16am

He's right though, isn't he?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Huh seriously you really think they turn up at 5.59?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Nor do any of the presenters on the breakfast shows, they are on their way home by 9.30 am.The best job on TV must be the young girl who does the up-date on BBC1 just before 8 pm (and she only works four days a week)

Of course you know for sure that

a) the presenters are on their way home by 9:30am (having arrived at the studios by 5am or earlier according to an interview some time ago with Susanna Reid).)

b) the 90 Second update presenters don't do anything else for the BBC, BBC World, BBC News Channel or BBC Regions at all during the week (and yes, we've had this discussion a few times previously)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Of course you know for sure that

a) the presenters are on their way home by 9:30am (having arrived at the studios by 5am or earlier according to an interview some time ago with Susanna Reid).)

b) the 90 Second update presenters don't do anything else for the BBC, BBC World, BBC News Channel or BBC Regions at all during the week (and yes, we've had this discussion a few times previously)

mossy you have insisted in the past that Ellie Chrissel (phon) who does the 90 second update is working behind the scenes all day but you have never produced any evidence to support this - why have I never seen her on any other programme ? In fact it's a 45-second update, the other 45 seconds being done by the regional presenter (usually in London it's Riz Lateef who has presented the 6.30 local programme and stays on to do the local news at 10.30)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy you have insisted in the past that Ellie Chrissel (phon) who does the 90 second update is working behind the scenes all day but you have never produced any evidence to support this
    That's because I have NEVER "insisted" anything - I have suggested that it's possible she might be doing other things (and yes, you've thrown that same accusation at me previously too, and I have given you the same reply as well)

For example, from Feb 10 this year:
    ftv wrote:
    Unless you're Ellie Chrissel who does that strange 45 second summary on BBC1 just before 8 pm four days a week, comes in at 7.55, goes home at 8.05 pm, money for old rope.

Likewise, that's all that she does ......

She never does anything as a relief presenter on the News channel, she does nothing behind the scenes, she simply wanders in at a few seconds before the 90 Second update goes out, reads her bit (off the autocue naturally) and trots off home. And of course she picks up a full day's pay.

Of course she does.

Because we know the full details of her contract and other arrangements, and know that the BBC are unaware of things like part-time work, shift arrangements, and job-shares. And that they have no concept of "the working mum".

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71281229&postcount=62

Which then sparked this exchange:
    ftv wrote:
    You have claimed in the past that she is working ''behind the scenes'' on some unspecified project, perhaps you could let us have your evidence for saying this ?

mossy2103 wrote:
    I have "claimed" nothing - as I recall I said that she "could be" (or similar).

Perhaps you could let me have YOUR evidence where I claimed what you said?

This is a thread for starters:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1630356

with contributions from myself in posts 4, 7, 11, 14, 16 and 17
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71284035&postcount=66

There was no reply from yourself.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember Sian Williams saying a while ago, they wake up at 3:45am, get ready and go into work by 4:30-5am. They leave after Breakfast at around 9:30am. They then do prep for the next day's programme in the evening for a few hours, working from home. The programme doesn't just make itself in 1 hour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because I have NEVER "insisted" anything - I have suggested that it's possible she might be doing other things (and yes, you've thrown that same accusation at me previously too, and I have given you the same reply as well)

For example, from Feb 10 this year:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71281229&postcount=62

Which then sparked this exchange:

There was no reply from yourself.

There was no reply because I do not claim to have any information about what she does the rest of the time while you apparently do. I am not stupid enough to think she comes in four days a week to read the autocue for 45 seconds (a job which could be done by the London News presenter who is in the same building). So your claim she is ''working behind the scenes'' is pure speculation ?
  • Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see Cheryl Cole parachuted in to present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no reply because I do not claim to have any information about what she does the rest of the time while you apparently do
    I did not ask you for that.
    I did ask you for any evidence of where I claimed that she did anything specific (as opposed to reasonable supposition).

Post 66 (Feb 10th)

I am not stupid enough to think she comes in four days a week to read the autocue for 45 seconds (a job which could be done by the London News presenter who is in the same building). So your claim she is ''working behind the scenes'' is pure speculation ?
    As you should be able to see from those links from Feb 10th, I did not "claim" anything.

Unless in your book putting forward reasoned possibilities is now a claim?

As as is also plain from that link, I clearly have no information (I stated as much).

So maybe you should take that on board and drop this nonsense of me "claiming" anything.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    What do people think of Stef's presenting? Would they let her do it permanently or would middle England object to the accent?

Middle England can swivel for all I care, and probably Steph too.
    Why would anyone 'object' to an accent?

Her middle name is "Rose"; that's surely very Middle England.

Former champion Irish dancer.
    Young Engineer for Britain at age 19.
    Saved Black & Decker over £1m on a product.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Former champion Irish dancer.
    Young Engineer for Britain at age 19.
    Saved Black & Decker over £1m on a product.
    And now just a TV presenter. :( wot a waste
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor do any of the presenters on the breakfast shows, they are on their way home by 9.30 am.The best job on TV must be the young girl who does the up-date on BBC1 just before 8 pm (and she only works four days a week)

Presumably in your job, you're not on TV. So by this token, you turn up and then go home.
    mossy you have insisted in the past that Ellie Chrissel (phon) who does the 90 second update is working behind the scenes all day but you have never produced any evidence to support this - why have I never seen her on any other programme ?

You've already answered the question.

Do you also assume that radio presenters turn up and find the entire show is mapped out for them? I used to do a 2hr show on community radio each week, for about 18 months. Each show took me about 6hrs to put together.
    burbe wrote: »
    I remember Sian Williams saying a while ago, they wake up at 3:45am, get ready and go into work by 4:30-5am. They leave after Breakfast at around 9:30am. They then do prep for the next day's programme in the evening for a few hours, working from home. The programme doesn't just make itself in 1 hour!

That sounds more like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Presumably in your job, you're not on TV. So by this token, you turn up and then go home.

You've already answered the question.

Do you also assume that radio presenters turn up and find the entire show is mapped out for them? I used to do a 2hr show on community radio each week, for about 18 months. Each show took me about 6hrs to put together.

That sounds more like it.

Don't forget there is quite a large team of producers, researchers etc who are are working 24 hours a day on different shifts setting-up these programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget there is quite a large team of producers, researchers etc who are are working 24 hours a day on different shifts setting-up these programmes.

The presenters are journalists too, though. You can't have an in-depth discussion with a politician without having done your own research, for example.

Talking to Mary Berry about cakes is a different matter, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Ellie Crisell, she said this on Twitter a couple of weeks ago...

"haha you'd have to ask my producer how productive I am ;) There is much more to news than the onscreen element - lots of work goes into it."

"My day is very varied - it depends on what else I am doing. I also give presenter training at the #BBC, but sadly it is only for in-house staff! Sorry! #askandy"

So she does suggest she does more than just the 90 second (really 45 second) update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"haha you'd have to ask my producer how productive I am ;) There is much more to news than the onscreen element - lots of work goes into it."

"My day is very varied - it depends on what else I am doing. I also give presenter training at the #BBC, but sadly it is only for in-house staff! Sorry! #askandy"

So she does suggest she does more than just the 90 second (really 45 second) update.

It wouldn't matter if ftv worked in the BBC Newsroom and saw Ellie Crisell everyday ftv would still think she only did 90 seconds a day, for some reason ftv has an unhealthy obsession with the works hours of people, it is up to her and her boss what working pattern she chooses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Ellie Crisell is currently presenting on BBC News from the Rotary Young Citizen Awards too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5:00-9:30am? That's a 4.5 hour day and they only do 3 or 4 days a week :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5:00-9:30am? That's a 4.5 hour day and they only do 3 or 4 days a week :confused:

If I got £100,000 plus I would work 5 hours a day for four days wouldn't you?

What does it matter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I got £100,000 plus I would work 5 hours a day for four days wouldn't you?

What does it matter?

It matters because it's public money and it's important for the future of the BBC that it is seen to be getting good value for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It matters because it's public money and it's important for the future of the BBC that it is seen to be getting good value for it.

They do do other shows and everything is public money if you work in a supermarket that money comes from the public by paying for goods.

Sian Williams also reads other news bulletins, Steff travels around the country as part of her presenting, Naga does other shows so they don't just appear for four or five hours.

Bill Turnbull does Songs Of Praise so they are not just turning up for a few hours are they.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for that info. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oddly enough, there are people in other industries and businesses that work those sorts of hours - people who are part-timers, people who are part of a job-share for example.

Why are some here fixated with the notion that people in broadcasting (especially the BBC) should be working 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week? People working in the creative arts, and especially broadcasting, work to suit the production requirements.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for that info. :)

How long has it taken to get that info?

It seems to have taken ages.

A lot of unpleasantness could have been avoided if the info had been given sooner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want a job about someone who does nothing, take any continuity announcer. They turn up, scrunch the screen so you're jolted out of what you were watching, and then take a big shit down the microphone and claim it's full of useful information!

Plus all the research time they spend on interviews, eg. reading the books and seeing the films and programmes of the guests in the 8.30-9.15 slot, similar to a TV/film reviewer.

Yes, that part of it's easier than being in a call centre by comparison but any reviewer is going to have to wade through an awful lot of crap they don't want to see/read that feels like wasted time. I would love a film reviewer job, but not a TV reviewer, as I couldn't get excited about yet another series of Britain's Got Twits* or X-Factor.
    (*misprint)