Options

Continuum Season 3 - Canadian Pace *No Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    I noticed time travel Alex hit new Alex in the same spot to give them both a mark on the same part of the head .......

Yes, noticed that as well and clearly Red Alex is going to escape from the facility and swap places with Green Alex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree. The present timeline Alex is way too corporate compared to how he was before the jump.

I can understand future Alex changing but not that much either,

Green Alex doesn't have a love interest any more. What's the old story about love or career? I don't see any problem in this part of the arc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else notice the big hint in episode 7 of who Kiera's husband is?
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was the hint?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not enjoying this series any more.

This season has been better than the last one but it is still confusing and I feel I'm just watching people going about things with no sense of purpose.

I wasn't expect a 'crime of the week' style show but I was hoping for something more coherent than this.

Hardly any of the characters are likable and that includes Kira now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    What was the hint?

Pay close attention to what the characters say in episode 7 and keep your eye on Kiera's husbands hair style, as it has been shown on another character lately
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay close attention to what the characters say in episode 7 and keep your eye on Kiera's husbands hair style, as it has been shown on another character lately

Can you just tell me so I don't have to watch it again?
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there was not going to be another episode until end of May but at the end of this weeks episode there was a promo for an episode next week - that's what the announcer said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not enjoying this series any more.

This season has been better than the last one but it is still confusing and I feel I'm just watching people going about things with no sense of purpose.

I wasn't expect a 'crime of the week' style show but I was hoping for something more coherent than this.

Hardly any of the characters are likable and that includes Kira now.

It is definitely more confusing than most other shows out there. Possibly it is as some comments have suggested that they are just making it up as they are going along. But the structure and time placement of this weeks episode places it as an expositionary episode.

They could definitely help somewhat with the confusion this episode if they had a year tag at the start of the Flashforward.

And obviously they needed more "previously on" explanation of who Jawarski was.

If it was just MIUATGA, then they could have used the structure "lets do an entire episode in Flash Forward" and done a crime of the week or similar. Instead they plotted out an episode which provides more detail to the ongoing arc and adds history to known plot-lines.

This could still turn out to be the most hardcore hard sci-fi series of recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean hint?

The character has been in the series since season one with the same actor. He's Greg Cameron and works for Sadtech, same as always.

Unless you're implying something about who his father is - Kellog or Sadler, one would assume. Sadler would be interesting, Kellog less so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to find the Canadian ratings for Continuum this series? Can't seem to manage it with google. Seems pretty stupid to put it up against GoT.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not reading any of the comments as I've not seen any of s3. I'm waiting for a uk release. Just wondering if they will get around to showing season 3 here
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that episode (s03e07) felt like a pivotal moment in the story. The "flashback" was tightly scripted, the acting engaged me and I felt that the story opened up a great deal.

However I can't help feeling that as soon as we get back to "present day", back in the cop-shop the whole impetus from that episode will be lost. I really hope the show can cut itself free from the baggage it's collected during the first two series and reinvent itself, somehow. The whole police department storyline and Kiera's new "time police" friends are looking a lot like a mistake, now.

I wonder how much difference Amanda Tapping has made to the last two episodes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    What do you mean hint?

The character has been in the series since season one with the same actor. He's Greg Cameron and works for Sadtech, same as always.

Unless you're implying something about who his father is - Kellog or Sadler, one would assume. Sadler would be interesting, Kellog less so.

Since the first ever episode there has been some mystery to who he is and what he does at Sadtech. It does seem that some people find it hard to follow this season, but I've found it very easy.

I didn't want to come out and say what the hint was because it would spoil it for others, but as no one else on here has managed to pick up on it I will say. It's odd, because all the people I've spoken to in real life also picked up on it straight away to.

Episode 7 hints that Greg Cameron is in fact Alec Sadler :O
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be better if he was Alec's dad :) or grandfather :o Which would explain the "speak freely to me, so few people do these days" (or words to that effect) line.

song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x1ETPkZsk&feature=kp [ I'm my own grandpa ]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the first ever episode there has been some mystery to who he is and what he does at Sadtech. It does seem that some people find it hard to follow this season, but I've found it very easy.

I didn't want to come out and say what the hint was because it would spoil it for others, but as no one else on here has managed to pick up on it I will say. It's odd, because all the people I've spoken to in real life also picked up on it straight away to.

No, it doesn't hint that in the slightest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    No, it doesn't hint that in the slightest.

I think you might need to watch the episode again and pay close attention to what everyone says and does, especially Alec and Greg in the future and Greg's hair style. People that I've spoken to say that they could not have made it more obvious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might need to watch the episode again and pay close attention to what everyone says and does, especially Alec and Greg in the future and Greg's hair style. People that I've spoken to say that they could not have made it more obvious

It does not hint he is Alec Sadler. It might hint he is a relative of Sadler, father or son, as Sadler does foreshadow "I was a single father myself" and of course has never confirmed that Jason was his only son.

Not to mention the complete lack of similarity in looks between Greg and Alec.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speculation based on existing exposition is not not a spoiler, its part of the reason for discussion threads.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I think I'm going to have to watch this episode again. Got distracted 15 minutes in and completely lost what was the point of it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then the people you've spoken to are seeing things that aren't there. A similar hairstyle in a professional setting does not make them the same person. If he was Alec Sadler he would know full well who Kiera was, plus he would have known she wasn't dead due to her not having traveled back in time just yet, so wouldn't have shown any kind of grief over it.
    You're seeing something that just isn't there. When I enjoy a show I see everything it has to offer, this is something that isn't there at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could still turn out to be the most hardcore hard sci-fi series of recent years.

Indeed it could - although the competition for that accolade is very, very sparse.

However, it's worth noting that Continuum is essentially an anti-science fiction series. So while there is a lot of science and technology at the core of the story, it's portrayed as being a tool of oppression and the "police state". The baddies are the ones using technology and the "goodies" (although there are not many clear examples - even Liberate aren't that clean ) such as the gleaners are the ones who eschew it.

This negative view of what technology will bring seems to be the main theme of the show: it enabled the corporations to enslave and control the population. Even Liberate, who are cast as the baddies (against Kiera, who is supposedly the "star" and therefore prima-facie who we should be rooting for) seem to be fighting against the release and use of technologies.

So although I am a big fan of technology as I view it as a great benefit to humanity and like seeing it used that way on TV (so long as it's use isn't so unbelievable that it opens the whole genre up to ridicule), I do see Continuum more as a betrayal of those values, than as a "science fiction" show that advocates technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not hint he is Alec Sadler. It might hint he is a relative of Sadler, father or son

Oh shit.

I know its strange to reply to my own post.

But.

It just became clear. Alec is Keira's son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just became clear. Alec is Keira's son.
    So who's the daddy:D? Jason seems to be about the right age :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Indeed it could - although the competition for that accolade is very, very sparse.

However, it's worth noting that Continuum is essentially an anti-science fiction series. So while there is a lot of science and technology at the core of the story, it's portrayed as being a tool of oppression and the "police state". The baddies are the ones using technology and the "goodies" (although there are not many clear examples - even Liberate aren't that clean ) such as the gleaners are the ones who eschew it.

I don't think I would agree that dystopian Sci-Fi is anti Sci-Fi. Outside of the most hardcore trekkies (and that's a deliberate choice instead of trekker) the idea that the future might not be what we want it to be is a very consistent theme.

I'm still torn to some extent as to whether Seasons 3 Flashforwards are consistent with Season 1 and 2, given the time jump. But I am fair sure that the series has always been heading in a direction where the future was not a lot of fun and filled with pretty nasty shit for the general population.

But that doesn't mean it's anti-Sci-Fi it just means it joins a long tradition of very powerful Sci-Fi where the outcome is not necessarily what the reader/viewer wants to see.