Options

Michael Barrymore

BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
Forum Member
Hi everyone,
I am a big Michael Barrymore fan and I am wondering if anyone has any memorabilia, newspaper cuttings etc that features him and would be willing to sell?

Please let me know
Cheers
Lsm

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck mate.

You'll need it!
  • Options
    Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I believe there are loads of newspaper articles about him!
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What era are we talking about here?
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a fairly prolific tweeter so if you contact him on Twitter I'm sure he'd have lots of bits and bobs.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are showing some of his old quiz shows on one of the channels, sure someone asked for old episodes a while ago. The channel that shows all the old vintage shows, can't remember which exactly, the show with the TV screen boxes across the screen.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few episodes of bob martin on VHS but they are in terrible condition, barely watchable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few episodes of bob martin on VHS but they are in terrible condition, barely watchable

What the tapes or the actual show?

Remember the actual show wasn't anything to write home about!

(Never got repeated did it, before his fall from grace)
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    You may be interested to know that he recorded an interview on Jeremy Kyle, being broadcast in early June.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a few old episodes of Strike It Lucky/Rich, it occurred to me that for all the flak and criticism Michael Barrymore has had from a great many people in recent years, one thing they can never take away from him is that he was a quite superb entertainer and TV personality - and that should never be forgotten in spite of what else has happened to him.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Watching a few old episodes of Strike It Lucky/Rich, it occurred to me that for all the flak and criticism he's had from a great many people in recent years, one thing they can never take away from him is that he was a quite superb entertainer and TV personality - and that should never be forgotten despite everything else that's happened to him.

He was once flavour of the moment but his attitude caused me to go off him way before his fall from grace. Perhaps too many people were laughing to notice how terribly patronising he with the contestants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching a few old episodes of Strike It Lucky/Rich, it occurred to me that for all the flak and criticism Michael Barrymore has had from a great many people in recent years, one thing they can never take away from him is that he was a quite superb entertainer and TV personality - and that should never be forgotten in spite of what else has happened to him.

I agree entirely with that but when he 'came out' & split from the wife, things started going pear shaped.

A certain live Tv awards ceremony springs to mind, where besides doing a 'sign language' version of another comedian's 'routine (Mr Clary), didn't he climb over the set as well?
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought he was great when I was a child and used to watch Strike It Lucky/Rich. How the mighty can fall.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    A certain live Tv awards ceremony springs to mind, where besides doing a 'sign language' version of another comedian's 'routine (Mr Clary), didn't he climb over the set as well?

He sure did - and he unplugged Jonathan Ross's autocue monitor for good measure as well.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    You may be interested to know that he recorded an interview on Jeremy Kyle, being broadcast in early June.

Oh gawd...tune in for another hour of woe-is-me-poor-man-nobody-knows-the-troubles-I've-seen guff from the most self-pitying man I have ever seen. Nobody feels more sorry for Barrymore than Barrymore himself.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh gawd...tune in for another hour of woe-is-me-poor-man-nobody-knows-the-troubles-I've-seen guff from the most self-pitying man I have ever seen. Nobody feels more sorry for Barrymore than Barrymore himself.

Agreed.

I'll be going out of my way to avoid this programme. Not that I make a habit out of watching the vile, bear baiting exploitation freakshow that is The Jeremy Kyle Show.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The last I heard of him, he was working in a garden centre. Poor chap.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gardening is very therapeutic.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Gardening is very therapeutic.
    I'm sure it is, but it's not life in the limelight, which Mr Barrymore appears to crave. Maybe he's happy being a gardener though, perhaps he's found his true calling after all.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I agree entirely with that but when he 'came out' & split from the wife, things started going pear shaped.

The death in the pool and the way he dealt with is by playing the 'poor me' act rather than showing any concern about the poor guy who died was the final nail in his career coffin. Had he have shown an ounce of sympathy and remorse then he may have found a way back but he seemed to only care about how it would affect him and his career showed him for the selfish creep he was.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    I am a big Michael Barrymore fan and I am wondering if anyone has any memorabilia, newspaper cuttings etc that features him and would be willing to sell?

Please let me know
    Cheers
    Lsm

are you Eric the Eel? (olympic swimmer from Equatorial Guinea) apparently he's a big Barrymore fan and was delighted when he got to meet hom
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused:
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The death in the pool and the way he dealt with is by playing the 'poor me' act rather than showing any concern about the poor guy who died was the final nail in his career coffin. Had he have shown an ounce of sympathy and remorse then he may have found a way back but he seemed to only care about how it would affect him and his career showed him for the selfish creep he was.

I saw him on a night time chat show here in Belfast last year, he was pathetic. And you're right, not one single solitary word of compassion or condolence for the man or his family - just a litany of how life used to be so good and how he was now just getting through it all as best he could. And his face the very picture of woe all the time he's speaking. I personally don't believe he had a hand in the man's death but omg, never did anyone wear the cloak of martyrdom for so long and so well.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

George Galloway, is that you?
  • Options
    Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    He treated his wife apallingly. Her father was a big influence in his life, and his wife managed him and made him the big name he became. Nobody should deny their sexuality but the way he went around humiliating her after he came out was the turning point for the public, compounded then by the death in the pool.

He was good at times but he did rip off other elements , he used to do the manic long legged walk a la Cleese. His is a lesson in how to destroy your career when it was all going so well.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. He was a brilliant entertainer and on top of his game. He had more talent than many of the so called entertainers we have on TV today.