Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Evans wrote: »
    They are not doing well in the UK when you consder they are riding on the back of the X factor hype and publicity. I give them at most 18 months in the UK before they disappear to do gigs in back street pubs and clubs
    twingle wrote: »
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion? 2 top 5 selling singles and a 2nd placed album (behind Rihanna) with sales that established artists would have loved to have had. But why spoil your post with facts :rolleyes:

Fastest selling single of the year so far. 138k+ albums sold in the first week, only the biggest artists in the country have managed to break the 100k barrier this year.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snuffles22 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Glee sings their song. Or they do a cameo.

Can you imagine! They'd have it all wrapped up.

One Direction are signed to Columbia. Columbia, of all labels. I really don't believe they're going to **** it up. They're smart people.

Bieber is releasing his "transition" album to his new, broken voice (which by the way, is not great). 1D are arriving at the perfect time to pick up the mantle of Bieber. While they are admittedly a little struggly on their vocals, I think Bieber's going to have a harder time than them in the coming months.

It's a perfect storm of timing. They might not become megastars but I do think their success in the US will be moderate - and acceptable - at the minimum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber has only had one genuine radio hit. That's "Baby". "Never Say Never" did moderately well and so did his duet with Usher on "Somebody To Love". But every other song he's released has made no headway on US radio.

Bieber is primarily an online phenomenon. His videos are streamed like crazy on YouTube and he has a massive online following. That's been enough to fuel record, merchandise and touring sales.

It will be interesting to see how they proceed with 1D. They're signed to a label that is affiliated with Glee and Nickelodeon. They're already cross promoting with Nickelodeon's "Big Time Rush". I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Glee sings their song. Or they do a cameo.

Never gonna happen. It's not like BTR have benefited at all from their relationship with the Glee label. Besides, Glee takes songs that are already pop culture hits. They're not going to go for unknowns, and frankly 1D is not "cool enough" for Glee's egomaniac producer. Even when they did the Bieber episode, it was meant to be tongue in cheek and he was already a huge star. Not gonna happen for an unknown, unless their songs are so poorly received and mocked incessantly in a Rebecca Black sort of way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »
    Can you imagine! They'd have it all wrapped up.

One Direction are signed to Columbia. Columbia, of all labels. I really don't believe they're going to **** it up. They're smart people.

Bieber is releasing his "transition" album to his new, broken voice (which by the way, is not great). 1D are arriving at the perfect time to pick up the mantle of Bieber. While they are admittedly a little struggly on their vocals, I think Bieber's going to have a harder time than them in the coming months.

It's a perfect storm of timing. They might not become megastars but I do think their success in the US will be moderate - and acceptable - at the minimum.

If they have succes it will be like the jonas brothers who no one cares for anymore. Short and sweet there are far hotter boys in the USA tbh.
  • iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    America? Probably not, unless they do the Disney thing. Then again, what goes around comes around. Boybands may be out of style in the US right now but TPTB might suddenly decide they're ripe for a comeback, with 1D as the advance guard.

Even with this in mind, though, I can't see them cracking America. There's no shortage of good-looking guys in the US who can sing better than 1D.

Still, you never know.

That said, I think they'll do enormously well in other big markets like Japan, South Korea etc, places where pretty boybands have never gone out of fashion.
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they could..Apparently ALOT of Big Time Rush fans already know who they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLBzQPJ-28
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also featured on the cover of a popular US teen magazine.:)

http://twitpic.com/7u6kyk
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they could..Apparently ALOT of Big Time Rush fans already know who they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLBzQPJ-28

Oh thanks for that but I did laugh at the comments underneath. Fanwars :eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I hope not .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I mentioned in another thread. THE WANTED are started to crack US Radio. I hear "Glad You Came" on the #2 Top 40 radio station in the country (KISS-LA) literally every day.

So if THEY can make some headway, then surely 1D can!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Like I mentioned in another thread. THE WANTED are started to crack US Radio. I hear "Glad You Came" on the #2 Top 40 radio station in the country (KISS-LA) literally every day.

So if THEY can make some headway, then surely 1D can!

It is going to be interesting to follow whether they can succeed or not. JLS was on the no 1 US station Z100 playlist and added by other top stations. They made top 40 on POP, but didn't go further.

It always possible that an act reverses the trend, and even if boybands are not popular at present, one of them could be the breakthrough that changes it. Who would have guessed that Adele would dominate the US charts a year ago?
    We could argue that neither the Wanted or 1D are in the same league, but success and talent don't necessrily go hand in hand, so we'll see.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With The Wanted doing better than expected in America (No. 65 on iTunes a day after Ellen), One Direction's chances suddenly went up exponentially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    With The Wanted doing better than expected in America (No. 65 on iTunes a day after Ellen), One Direction's chances suddenly went up exponentially.

The Wanted's radio add's have picked up quite a bit this week. They're up to 30 stations.

ETA: I think they'll end up paving the way for 1D when they arrive next month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    The Wanted's radio add's have picked up quite a bit this week. They're up to 30 stations.

ETA: I think they'll end up paving the way for 1D when they arrive next month.

It's not bad at all, specially considering that the single only goes for adds on the 24th according to FMBQ.

JLS' Everybody In Love received quite a few adds though and didn't get very far so we'll have to see. But I agree that their success would pave the way for 1D.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    It is going to be interesting to follow whether they can succeed or not. JLS was on the no 1 US station Z100 playlist and added by other top stations. They made top 40 on POP, but didn't go further.

It always possible that an act reverses the trend, and even if boybands are not popular at present, one of them could be the breakthrough that changes it. Who would have guessed that Adele would dominate the US charts a year ago?
    We could argue that neither the Wanted or 1D are in the same league, but success and talent don't necessrily go hand in hand, so we'll see.

I don't think JLS did a big
    promotion over there apart from a very small tour. The Wanted really have a coup appearing on Ellen and wonder if 1D will get similar exposure. Surely Simon and Columbia have enough clout
  • gipsycalistagipsycalista Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Come on, let's get real.

They couldn't crack a nut never mind America.

They can't sing. Their voices are manipulated in the recording studio to make them sound better than they are.

Simon Cowell has seen the fanbase for Justin Bieber, all the young girls and thought he could multiply that by 5 and rake in the dosh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    It's not bad at all, specially considering that the single only goes for adds on the 24th according to FMBQ.

JLS' Everybody In Love received quite a few adds though and didn't get very far so we'll have to see. But I agree that their success would pave the way for 1D.

JLS only got 30 adds from February to May in 2010.

http://addboard.mediabase.com/SongAddHistory.asp?Sngcde=JLS+EIL&ob=1&format=XX

The Wanted are doing better because they're at 30 NOW and haven't gone for official adds yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I don't think JLS did a big
    promotion over there apart from a very small tour. The Wanted really have a coup appearing on Ellen and wonder if 1D will get similar exposure. Surely Simon and Columbia have enough clout

I'm sure JLS fans know better but all I could find was a small amusement park tour that lasted about 2 weeks.

1D allegedly have a radio tour lined up next month before they join Big Time Rush on their ampitheatre tour. They're already getting advanced press in American teen magazines and won a youth award here. I'm sure more press has been lined up.

From where I'm sitting the buzz is a lot stronger for 1D than JLS ever had. They've been helped immensley by social media.
  • RupertPupkinRupertPupkin Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't sing. Their voices are manipulated in the recording studio to make them sound better than they are.

You could just as easily be talking about JLS there, though they can at least dance.:D
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    You could just as easily be talking about JLS there, though they can at least dance.:D

But we saw their xf audition, when they performed acapella...
    And every act who records a song has their voices altered,(when songs are mastered) that's why the majority sound different when singing live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RupertPupkin they've done the best of the class of 2010, and there's nothing you can do about it. I will keep reminding you.:p
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    RupertPupkin they've done the best of the class of 2010, and there's nothing you can do about it. I will keep reminding you.:p

lol at this... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I think they have a great chance cracking the US. People on this forum acting like the US has higher standards for talent, which is a load of bollocks, Ke$ha anyone? They're already got a fanbase just through twitter and youtube. They might not become huge stars straight but will have some succsess. With the right promotion I think they could do well.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Come on, let's get real.

They couldn't crack a nut never mind America.

Simon Cowell has seen the fanbase for Justin Bieber, all the young girls and thought he could multiply that by 5 and rake in the dosh.

Wow, this post made me laugh....thought they would have cracked the US by now.....all well, the country is still in one piece, for now!! LOL
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not .

Me too.

They've already had far too much success in the UK considering how little talent they have.

They are just pretty boys, a Cowell short term marketing dream. When they loose their cuteness & the hype dies down they'll disappear.