Are Triple Play Blu Rays becoming even more worthless now

Comments

• MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow why not go to timbucktoo and see what they are selling, who cares what the yanks are selling, we are in the UK that what we are talking about, we use £££ not $$$$$. :rolleyes:

And for every new UK release you can find with a dvd I will show you another 20 with UV instead or maybe every online retailer is basically lying.:rolleyes:

Yes lets move on, this has been done on both sides now, UV are replacing DVD thats a fact, its easy to check, I posted a link for sainsburys, but could do the same for every UK retailer and they would all come up with the same story.

Haha!!! The US vs UK response as a few people predicted.

Look folks leave this GeordieTroll now. She's been around here years spouting nonsense. She constantly comes up with ideas and theories that are proved wrong yet can never prove it.

Apparently she's got LOADS of friends who agree with her though, funny how they're not on DS.

She's a scientist too you know :rolleyes:
    A scientist who hasn't grasped basic grammar.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    I haven't had a UV release yet but I can also see some major downsides. With digital copies I can preload them onto my tablet and then view them without needing a net connection or incurring connection costs. And you obviously don't have to be concerned about changing quality due to your Internet speed changing. Additionally they can shut down UV at any time and you lose your movie. With digital copy you just need the authentication system in place (and with iTunes that many use that's unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon)

you can download the film onto the tablet if you wish it gives you the option from within flixster,plus not having an ipad i cant use digital copies from itunes anywhere anyway
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TP use to be mostly blu ray,dig + dvd, now its blu ray dig + UV making them even less value for money then they were before hence why I set this thread up, not to moan so much about "TP" but to highlight they have become even more worthless now.

But DP were always more common than TP in the past. TP were largely restricted to Family Films in the UK but Digital copies were packaged with a much wider selection of movies. Most of the movies that are TP now would have DP if it wasn't for UV as they are the kind of movies that before we're always DP. I suspect ideally they would prefer to just offer the UV version anway but realise that the technological restrictions mean the market isn't ready yet so are doubling up on digital versions to get people used to UV but ensuring everyone has access to a 'mobile' version
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But DP were always more common than TP in the past. TP were largely restricted to Family Films in the UK but Digital copies were packaged with a much wider selection of movies. Most of the movies that are TP now would have DP if it wasn't for UV as they are the kind of movies that before we're always DP. I suspect ideally they would prefer to just offer the UV version anway but realise that the technological restrictions mean the market isn't ready yet so are doubling up on digital versions to get people used to UV but ensuring everyone has access to a 'mobile' version

as far as i can tell there are no technical restrictions,you get access to a cloud version and also access to a download version via Ultraviolet,unless im missing something :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of your earlier comments on steelbooks shows who the "clueless one" is and it sure isn't me :rolleyes:

My earlier comments on steelbook. You mean the ones where I say I don't personally mind paying extra for the better artwork/packaging but that its become a way for studios and more importantly certain stores to inflate their profit?

As much as you want to argue there isn't a single steelbook selling for less or even equal to the price you can get the regular release for, sure with the store exclusive ones that store sells the regular for the same price to push the steelbook BUT you can go to other stores INCLUDING some high street stores like the the supermarkets and get the regular release for a couple of pounds cheaper.

If you want to pay more for steelbooks then that's fine, again I have also done it BUT don't get on your soapbox about something that doesn't increase the cost while engaging in something that does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow why not go to timbucktoo and see what they are selling, who cares what the yanks are selling, we are in the UK that what we are talking about, we use £££ not $$$$$. :rolleyes:

And for every new UK release you can find with a dvd I will show you another 20 with UV instead or maybe every online retailer is basically lying.:rolleyes:

Yes lets move on, this has been done on both sides now, UV are replacing DVD thats a fact, its easy to check, I posted a link for sainsburys, but could do the same for every UK retailer and they would all come up with the same story.

It matters because they produce multiple versions and then decide territory by territory which is best. As I keep pointing out in the UK our releases were often more DP release with the second version being digital. TP were rarer in the UK restricted largely to titles where they felt may need to be used in multiple places where only 1 might be a BD player (hence why Family films is where they were and still are most likely used in the uk)

Territories including the US where BD hasn't infiltrated the market as well as it has the UK have and still do get more with a DVD copy
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    as far as i can tell there are no technical restrictions,you get access to a cloud version and also access to a download version via Ultraviolet,unless im missing something :confused:

I was always under the impression that UV wasnt compatible with iTunes so meant cannot use on my iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I've not tried it myself as I don't have any Blus with UV yet, but for iPhone you have to use the Flixter app to stream or download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having both is a little redundant unless there is some kind of restriction at the moment. Might be something as simple as not being sure the platforms mature and robust enough yet which is something that has already sunk a few other attempts to offer alternatives.

I'm fairly sure however they wouldn't be paying both the licensing fee for use of Apples trademarks and the fee per copy they have to pay Apple if they felt UV was ready.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It matters because they produce multiple versions and then decide territory by territory which is best. As I keep pointing out in the UK our releases were often more DP release with the second version being digital. TP were rarer in the UK restricted largely to titles where they felt may need to be used in multiple places where only 1 might be a BD player (hence why Family films is where they were and still are most likely used in the uk)

Territories including the US where BD hasn't infiltrated the market as well as it has the UK have and still do get more with a DVD copy

And your point is:confused:

This thread and conversation has nothing to do with the US market, I doubt most who buy blu rays care less about it.
    Its the UK we discussing, we can all go on google and find some random site in some other country offering DVD's still in multi packs but in the UK its dying out fast, the links I have provided says it all.
    It really is not even a discussion point anymore.
    The real discussion point is the TP are now more worthless then before as less people will use the UV copy then the DVD, in fact many who buy blu rays would not even know what a UV copy even is, I sure didn't know what it was as I dont watch TV on a 2 inch screen.
    Forum Member
    Who are these people watching films on 2 inch screens?
    And for that matter what are these 2 inch screened devices that people are playing back movies on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who are these people who couldn't care less about the US market?

It's the market I'm most interested in especially Scream Factory and Criterion releases.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I said some time ago that the DVD copy of the movie in double plays and triple plays blu ray sets would die out this year and this now appears to be the case but was not expecting it to be replaced with an even more worthless concept, the ultraviolet copy.

Now call me old school for wanting to watch a movie on like a TV screen but surely there can not be that many people watching movies on 2 inch i-phones to warrant many new releases from having this ultra violet copy in place of the DVD. And why have a digital and UV copy in a triple play, surely one is enough.
    I really dont get this concept at all and IMO makes these blu ray TP/DP sets even more of a take now then they were in the past.

Also guess specsavers will be having a lot of new customers in the next 10 years wih people ruining their eyes watching movies on 2 inch screens.

Maybe I need to get with the times sell my 55 inch TV and put my i-phone in the corner of the room instead

More and more laptops are coming out with HDMI connections. Further the new MS Surface has an HDMI connection so I would not go so far as to describe Ultraviolet Blu-Rays as more worthless.

Although I still think these are restricted too much and it would be nice to add the ultraviolet blu-ray to Samsung Allshare which uses the wireless network to play media on your TV or Blu-Ray Player (which is the setup I have)

The technology is in it's infancy - I suspect it will get a lot better - indeed would not surprise me if in a decade the silver disk is entirely replaced by downloads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your point is:confused:

This thread and conversation has nothing to do with the US market, I doubt most who buy blu rays care less about it.
    Its the UK we discussing, we can all go on google and find some random site in some other country offering DVD's still in multi packs but in the UK its dying out fast, the links I have provided says it all.
    It really is not even a discussion point anymore.
    The real discussion point is the TP are now more worthless then before as less people will use the UV copy then the DVD, in fact many who buy blu rays would not even know what a UV copy even is, I sure didn't know what it was as I dont watch TV on a 2 inch screen.

But they aren't being replaced by UV because the releases with a DVD in the UK have always been rarer as most of the releases don't justify such a release because BD take up is relatively high.

Its a bridging tactic and in the UK only certain types of films (Kids/Family) have needed it. The UK has always had more DP releases of BD/Digital Downloads (and tbh these were really more like Double & half releases in most cases as the digital version often gave you a choice of ITunes and WMV version so UV is really more a WMV replacement that isn't limited to either or) than they have TP of BD/DVD/Digital
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they aren't being replaced by UV because the releases with a DVD in the UK have always been rarer as most of the releases don't justify such a release because BD take up is relatively high.

Its a bridging tactic and in the UK only certain types of films (Kids/Family) have needed it. The UK has always had more DP releases of BD/Digital Downloads (and tbh these were really more like Double & half releases in most cases as the digital version often gave you a choice of ITunes and WMV version so UV is really more a WMV replacement that isn't limited to either or) than they have TP of BD/DVD/Digital

TP/DP with DVD were pretty common, I have tons of them here, not counted but would guess close on 50, I used to sell on the DVD to save people buying a DVD (The main reason why studios are now dropping the DVD from these sets). As it stands now they are being reduced at a dramatic rate over a short period of time. Ice age 4 comes with a DVD but thats about the only new release I have seen that does. Where now UV are the standard in TP just like DVD's were before.

I really dont understand why you continue to argue and spin this as its fact, just go to any UK online retailer and see for yourself, this is not like secret information that has been passed onto me;), anyone can see it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TP/DP with DVD were pretty common, I have tons of them here, not counted but would guess close on 50, I used to sell on the DVD to save people buying a DVD (The main reason why studios are now dropping the DVD from these sets). As it stands now they are being reduced at a dramatic rate over a short period of time. Ice age 4 comes with a DVD but thats about the only new release I have seen that does. Where now UV are the standard in TP just like DVD's were before.

I really dont understand why you continue to argue and spin this as its fact, just go to any UK online retailer and see for yourself, this is not like secret information that has been passed onto me;), anyone can see it:)

Hmmm speaking of secret information, you still haven't explained how you know that the reason studios are allegedly dropping DVDs is people selling them. Has it been publicized that this is the reason.....can you post a link to this story, no of course you can't because you're living in fantasy land. You've already been asked in this thread to prove that statement and as usual in any thread you post in you choose to ignore those requests.
    I suppose it was your many friends, or was it your musician husband who also has contacts all over the place :rolleyes:

You constantly accuse people of trying to put a spin on things to suit them but you're doing exactly the same.

Just because YOU think that's the reason doesn't mean it is.

EDIT: Just spent almost 10 minutes trying every variation of wording I can think of in Google and would you believe it NOTHING comes up at all regarding why studios are dropping the DVD from DP and TP. Fancy that.
    In fact the only discussion on the subject that shows is this very one and a thread on a bluray forum.
    Well well well!

Maybe Geordielady read an in depth article on it in Chat or Take A Break.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I used to sell on the DVD to save people buying a DVD (The main reason why studios are now dropping the DVD from these sets). As it stands now they are being reduced at a dramatic rate over a short period of time. Ice age 4 comes with a DVD but thats about the only new release I have seen that does.
    with all due respect that is a load of old rubbish.

http://m.direct.asda.com/Katy-Perry-The-Movie---Part-Of-Me---Blu-Ray-DVD-Digital-Copy/003769913,default,pd.html

http://m.direct.asda.com/Dr.-Seuss%27-The-Lorax-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-Copy-Ultraviolet/003770970,default,pd.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devil-Rides-Out-Blu-ray/dp/B008LU8MUQ/ref=zg_bsnr_383380011_91

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singin-Rain-Anniversary-Ultimate-Collectors/dp/B003BIFR7O/ref=zg_bsnr_383380011_96

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Curse-Frankenstein-Blu-ray-DVD/dp/B008LU8MME/ref=zg_bsnr_383380011_26

This is not counting the 3D/steelbook versions that also come with DVD or UV format or both.
    Given examples from the US and UK that blows your crazy idea out the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange because very few of my BD's have a movie DVD disc (a fair few have a DVD with the digital copy but not a movie disc).

Perhaps if you are so confident in your claim you would like to list the 50 you have with DVD copies to provide some context
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    And who are these people who couldn't care less about the US market?

It's the market I'm most interested in especially Scream Factory and Criterion releases.

It's not only the US market collectors are interested in, the Jap market has a good following. The Jap limited edition steelbook of Battle Los Angeles is going for a fortune.

The Internet really opened up the import market, we don't have to rely on Sainsbury's that's for sure. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    It's not only the US market collectors are interested in, the Jap market has a good following. The Jap limited edition steelbook of Battle Los Angeles is going for a fortune.

The Internet really opened up the import market, we don't have to rely on Sainsbury's that's for sure. :D

The Japanese market sounds interesting, do they give DVD's with their Blu's?

I only ask because i have 2inch screen i'd like to make use of :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Plenty of Blu-rays are getting released.
    This last quarter has been massive for releases.

Just because something specific you want isn't getting a release you can't make a blanket statement like that.

There's plenty of things i'd love on Blu but there's also plenty of stuff that is getting a release.
    Yes, but there's no excuse for region inequalities, especially when it's a region free BD. Whilst, they have made great progress with releases, there's still a long way to go.
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    With 2 Broke Girls I would of thought that would of been a licensing issue with CBS rather than Warner Bros being too lazy.
    TV Studios and Film Studios are two different entities and will always differ when it comes to distribution rights between regions.

CBS has no involvement with the show (outside of broadcasting and funding it), it's distributed internationally and domestically by Warner Bros.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can download the film onto the tablet if you wish it gives you the option from within flixster,plus not having an ipad i cant use digital copies from itunes anywhere anyway

More and more digital copies work "everywhere" now, not just via iTunes.

e.g. the Prometheus BD comes with a code that you redeem via the Fox website. That site then lets you choose what version you want, iTunes (for iPad etc.) or Android or PC...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but there's no excuse for region inequalities, especially when it's a region free BD. Whilst, they have made great progress with releases, there's still a long way to go

CBS has no involvement with the show (outside of broadcasting and funding it), it's distributed internationally and domestically by Warner Bros.

It's not a being lazy thing, its simply they don't believe the following in this country justifies the cost of releasing both versions in a territory. Which to be fair with both shows mentioned they are probally right about.

You will notice that usually when this happens they do release the BD region free in the US so it can be imported by those who really want it without splitting sales.

Also they do seem to go back and release the BD's later if later becomes worthwhile (Big Bang Theory for example) and also there seems to be fewer that don't get BD releases these days and I would expect it to keep shrinking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It's not a being lazy thing, its simply they don't believe the following in this country justifies the cost of releasing both versions in a territory. Which to be fair with both shows mentioned they are probally right about.

You will notice that usually when this happens they do release the BD region free in the US so it can be imported by those who really want it without splitting sales.

Also they do seem to go back and release the BD's later if later becomes worthwhile (Big Bang Theory for example) and also there seems to be fewer that don't get BD releases these days and I would expect it to keep shrinking
    They could've still done a limited pre-order only run...

I think Wilfred is region locked, but I've no idea to find out, since I've seen varying reports on other BDs. (Also why are they BDs not BRs?)
    Forum Member
    They could've still done a limited pre-order only run...

I think Wilfred is region locked, but I've no idea to find out, since I've seen varying reports on other BDs. (Also why are they BDs not BRs?)
    don't know if you have looked on Bluray.com but their info states....

S1 regionA untested - S2 regionA (B/C) untested.

Try their forum.

Assume BD stands for Bluray Disc.
    Forum Member
    (Also why are they BDs not BRs?)
    It's because BD is short for Blu-Ray Disc.
    It's hyphenated to make Blu Ray one word.