Limited Connectivity in Windows Vista

Comments

• jimjimjim1977jimjimjim1977 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Limited connectivity usually means the router has not detected an IP address on the internet side.

If the PC has connected to the router / network but it's not got an IP it could be to do with router config and DHCP.

Are you on cable by any chance?

If so (or maybe even with ADSL) try plugging a PC into the modem directly and that will get an IP and you should be able to browse, then plug the router in and it should detect a new MAC ID and issue a new IP address.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    post up the results. I'm drunk btw, and brain is messed by the goo so don't do anything i say.

Ipconfig, lease table then how comfortable are you editing the registry?
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    right get this - dunno if this issue is releated but I am currently on these forums via my desktop Vista pc which is connected via wi-fi to my home network.

The problem now is that if I now try to connect the laptop via wi-fi as well - it knocks the wi-fi connection out that the desktop is using.????
    Forum Member
    the problem is related it just doesn't take us forward. Lease table full. Or that reg issues could knock out your wifi.

It is not a wan issue.
    Forum Member
    ...so shall I just try that regedit stuff then...?!!
    Forum Member
    if nothing else do the ipconfig thing. Just confirm that you don't have an ip. Then by all means do the regedit thing. Follow the guide on the microsoft site.
    Forum Member
    right, I think I've had just about enough of this poxy laptop!!! I got the wi-fi working just after I did the regedit stuff and it was connected via wi-fi fine.

Great, I thought. Then, I thought to myself, ' I can guarantee that now if I turn the laptop off then back on - I guarantee that it won't work'!!

Guess what - I was correct..... Aaaaaaaaaargh..!!!!:eek::mad:

Well I guess, it still works via an ethernet cable! So I basically have a wi-fi capable laptop that only connects via ethernet cable......great!!!:rolleyes:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Limited connectivity usually means the router has not detected an IP address on the internet side.

If the PC has connected to the router / network but it's not got an IP it could be to do with router config and DHCP.

Are you on cable by any chance?

If so (or maybe even with ADSL) try plugging a PC into the modem directly and that will get an IP and you should be able to browse, then plug the router in and it should detect a new MAC ID and issue a new IP address.

My router wouldn't properly connect to the ethernet connection at the pc end, so I, in frustration, switched it off and waited for 10 seconds, and then switched it back on again. Problem solved. It properly made the connection to the computer. Unless there was something messing the detecting the ip address connection. I got this this morning when switching to the dlink router I have. I tried everything, but it seemed the only thing that worked was switching the router off and waiting for 10 seconds, and then switching it back on.
    Forum Member
    in your router's instructions, i know cos i read 'em, it explains how to manually assign an ip to a network device. Do that. To be fare to your lap top, it ip your router's fault mostly.
    Forum Member
    my phone's predictive text has started preferentially using the word 'ip' over the word 'is' for that button combination. How messed up is that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    did u try what i said?
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    in your router's instructions, i know cos i read 'em, it explains how to manually assign an ip to a network device. Do that. To be fare to your lap top, it ip your router's fault mostly.

To be honest - I think I am just gonna leave the ethernet cable pugged into it - at least I can get a connection that way.

Also - I am with Virgin Media for my broadband internet. They gave me the modem and I just plugged the router into that and followed the instructions that came with it. I don't remember if I specifically added IP address and all that.

In order for me to assign an IP address to the laptop - I am gonna need IP and DNS addresses from Virgin aren't I..? I can pretty much tell you now that if I call them up and ask them for this - they wont know what I'm going on about.....?!!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a section in my router that has an ip address range. I only have the range set at one, basically because there's only ever going to be one computer in the house. I wonder if the range you have isn't enough? I wonder if you only have enough range for maybe 1 or 2 items in your house? I'm just going by what's in my dlink router though, so your Virgin router might be different. I don't know if routers on their own are completely different to modems with routers built in. I just thought I'd tell you about this though. As for dns, I don't think you specifically need Virgin's. I think you can use something like open dns for that.............unless someone can correct me on this?
    Forum Member
    his has a range too. but by default it should be set to 100. but it is set to never reuse the same IP. it's on page 43 of the instructions.
    Forum Member
    ...is there anywhere online I can get the instructions for my router cos the ones that came with it are at home and I'm obviously at work..! Also - the instructions were just an oversized leaflet which had about 8 pages - certainly not 43...!
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ..thanks, I'm just looking through it now..!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoot me down if you like, but are you sure you are booting up the router first before you boot up the PC...

Just a thought.
    Forum Member
    ............skimmed through the instructions - quite lengthy!

You know what - I think I am gonna be happy with just leaving the ethernet cable plugged into the laptop cos at least it works that way...!

The laptop and the router must already have the correct settings for wi-fi cos last night after I tried the regedit stuff on the laptop, I managed to get the laptop connected wirelessly. And it stayed connected until I obviously decided to test it - by the turning the laptop off, and then back on again. After that - you already know what happened....!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    right get this - dunno if this issue is releated but I am currently on these forums via my desktop Vista pc which is connected via wi-fi to my home network.

The problem now is that if I now try to connect the laptop via wi-fi as well - it knocks the wi-fi connection out that the desktop is using.????
    If you are on cable, then the likelyyhood is that you have connected your modem to a LAN port, not a WAN port.
    It is the correct key I am typing because the laptop does 'see' my wi-fi network. My network name shows up as 'Available Networks'. Its just the fact that when you click on 'Connect' - it only connects with 'Limited Connectivity'.
    "Seeing" a wireless network is not the same as connecting to it. By definition the network has to be available unencrypted initially, even before an IP number is assigned. Encryption (in this sense) is only used once the connection has been completely made.

I stand by my original post. Re-read what I actually said because, from what I can gather, you haven't tried logging into the router with an Ethernet cable - merely used it to surf the web.

Ethernet cable connections are not encrypted - only wireless connections. So it is little wonder connecting by cable actually works, whereas your WiFi does not.

However, make sure you are checking the IP details of the correct device. There will be two, of course, one for the standard LAN device and one for the Wireless device. Both can have different settings and I don't put DHCP/TCPIP problems entirely out of reach.
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    If you are on cable, then the likelyyhood is that you have connected your modem to a LAN port, not a WAN port.

"Seeing" a wireless network is not the same as connecting to it. By definition the network has to be available unencrypted initially, even before an IP number is assigned. Encryption (in this sense) is only used once the connection has been completely made.

I stand by my original post. Re-read what I actually said because, from what I can gather, you haven't tried logging into the router with an Ethernet cable - merely used it to surf the web.

Ethernet cable connections are not encrypted - only wireless connections. So it is little wonder connecting by cable actually works, whereas your WiFi does not.

However, make sure you are checking the IP details of the correct device. There will be two, of course, one for the standard LAN device and one for the Wireless device. Both can have different settings and I don't put DHCP/TCPIP problems entirely out of reach.

Your original post refers to the encryption key - which I keep telling everyone IS CORRECT...!!!! I dunno how many times I need to clarify this..!??!

With regards to the connections, if you look at http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/art...5d7230_man.pdf, on page 12,

my modem is plugged into 'hole 8' and I have a cable coming from 'hole 7' that goes into the laptop. This way it works. I haven't actually tried logging onto the actual router settings this way though - is that what you are suggesting i do...?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest have you checked your encryption key??????????

*Ok I shall now run bloody fast and hide* *Sorry had to add a bit of humour there as I know its getting on your nerves*
    Forum Member
    tuppy26 wrote: »
    Just out of interest have you checked your encryption key??????????

*Ok I shall now run bloody fast and hide* *Sorry had to add a bit of humour there as I know its getting on your nerves*

....:D:D not much left to do now but laugh I guess..!!!
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have 'authentication' set to 'open'?

Is your network 'public'?

That's how my set up is in 'network and sharing'
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    In order for me to assign an IP address to the laptop - I am gonna need IP and DNS addresses from Virgin aren't I..? I can pretty much tell you now that if I call them up and ask them for this - they wont know what I'm going on about.....?!!

No you should have the details already. The IP address you assign will be dependent on the format your router uses. For example: My Netgear router uses 192.168.0.xxx with the router itself being 192.168.0.1, so for my laptop I have the following settings assigned:

IP: 192.168.0.5
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (again is router dependent but should fill automatically)
    Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 (the router IP)
    DNS: 192.168.0.1 (router IP again)

I've done this to all the devices that connect at home regardless of wireless or wired as have 2 desktop PC's, IP camera, XBOX, NAS connected wired and 2 laptops, PDA and printer connected by wireless.