HD Video editing software

DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

I am going to be using my DSLR camera to do some filming and would like to do a bit of editing and fading between video. I tried on Windows movie maker but it just crashes. I don't think it is my laptop it has 8gb ram and is i7. It is for church so we don't have much spare dosh so was wondering would this do the trick or do you have another suggestion? Thanks http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-Studio-HD-Platinum/dp/B008RVQMOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368909248&sr=8-2&keywords=hd+video+editing+software

PJ

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be fine, that is a cut down version of Sony Vegas. you will love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Movie Maker for HD editing. The earlier versions used to crash or freeze, but not now. Have you got the latest version?
  • 100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I use it too. The version 12 in your link is the first of the "cut down" versions to be 64 bit and therefore use all your memory. Earlier version could crash when rendering - the process of writing all the clips into a movie of the required format.

Although it's a cut down version of the professional software at a tenth of the tenth of the price (!), there's far more functionality than I have ever learned to use, and I suggest you'll be extremely pleased. There is, however, a learning curve!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded WMM earlier thus year so I think that us the latest but will check.

Thanks for your opinions on the software, I think I will go for that if my MM is up to date :)

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I downloaded WMM earlier thus year so I think that us the latest but will check.

Thanks for your opinions on the software, I think I will go for that if my MM is up to date :)

PJ

WMM is so limited, I downloaded it yesterday to have a look and it tried to download a load of other stuff like Messenger which is not even used now.

but it is far too limited, if you can afford it, then go for something better.

it did not crash mind you, I mucked around with it for a good half hour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I really love Vegas to edit, unfortunately moving to Mac means that it is not supported but despite that Sony Vegas is my favourite video editing software :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love Vegas to edit, unfortunately moving to Mac means that it is not supported but despite that Sony Vegas is my favourite video editing software :)

Vegas is great, ok it have some problems, but it is certainly better than premier. It is pretty light weight, so even on a modest spec machine it will work ok, for basic editing. My mate used it on a P4 and done some good stuff with it, the machine he uses it on now is not the most powerful by a long way,but he does some Hd stuff on it. AMd athlon dual core, 2Gb of ram and a old Nvidia card.

So do you use final cut now or Imovie? final cut is good and got some good features, it seems to need a load of memory. Friends Mac had 4Gb on it and it still struggled, put it by another 4 and it seems ok now.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's a bit of a myth that you need a complete bison of a computer for video editing. the transcoding is done at the end. you just need to be able to preview things in real time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's a bit of a myth that you need a complete bison of a computer for video editing. the transcoding is done at the end. you just need to be able to preview things in real time.

Yes and no.

Try previewing multiple tracks in Hd with a few transitions and the machine will judder and skip like crazy.

I think the new version of final cut got the answer, depending if it works and that is to render in the background.

A video I am working on now, have 8 tracks of HD footage, i have not even started to add effects or transitions in yet, I just getting the files in order and i try to play them and my poor little machine comes to a stand still. i am going to proxy edit i think, I knew it was a msitake to work with HD files )

Of cause AVCHD don't help, not the ideal files to edit with.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see where you are coming from, but if you do a lot of editing then the transcoding time is going to be an issue

my 2011 i5 macbook pro 2013 just about deals with 50p hd files from my new Sony rx500 in final cut X. I only do the odd 5 minute family video so it's works for me but if I were doing a lot of video I'd need a much more powerful desktop.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yes and no.

Try previewing multiple tracks in Hd with a few transitions and the machine will judder and skip like crazy.

I think the new version of final cut got the answer, depending if it works and that is to render in the background.

A video I am working on now, have 8 tracks of HD footage, i have not even started to add effects or transitions in yet, I just getting the files in order and i try to play them and my poor little machine comes to a stand still. i am going to proxy edit i think, I knew it was a msitake to work with HD files )

Of cause AVCHD don't help, not the ideal files to edit with.
    If you have 8x HD tracks then the problem is likely to be with the I/O
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have 8x HD tracks then the problem is likely to be with the I/O

Do you know, I never thought of that. the files are stored on a pretty fast drive, a seagate hybrid. Maybe i should try and store the ones I am using on the SSD or get another SSD.

I will combine some of the tracks down once i manage to get what I want them to look like.