Android KitKat 4.4 may launch on 15th October

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
The Android KitKat 4.4 operating system (formerly know as Key Lime Pie) is expected to be available on the 15th October on the Nexus 5.

It may be available on other devices this year but I wouldn't hold my breath as Android is a bit of a mess when it come to updates. Even the big manufactures like Samsung cant be arsed half the time :mad:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57606880-94/google-nexus-5-android-kitkat-rumors-point-to-oct-15-launch/

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Google Nexus devices apart from the Nexus One and Nexus S will get the update at launch.

It's weird that Google don't seem to be having a press conference this time round. Surely invitations would have been sent out. I wonder what they are planning?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Wonder if it will launch on the Nexus 4 that day as well if it's true.

EDIT:- Answered above :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles, although it'll start going on to Nexus 4's that day if it's anything like the previous updates could take anything up to 2-3 weeks before every Nexus 4 gets it. Google seem to roll it out slowly and in no particular order.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Are they really suggesting the nexus 5 will launch in 4 days time and there has been no official announcement yet??

Edit: a week ahead of Apple's new ipad launch? :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's speculated that Android KitKat 4.4 will be announced and launched on the 15th AND so will the Nexus 5 or as some say Nexus 4 (2013) but it won't be available to purchase until the end of the month. Either way it's exciting times ahead. Tuesday isn't that far away! :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Italian site has some apparently genuine shots of KitKat 4.4 running on the next Nexus device...

http://www.tuttoandroid.net/android/nexus-5-ed-android-4-4-kitkat-foto-dellinterfaccia-e-prime-impressioni-148548/
    Forum Member
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    Stiggles, although it'll start going on to Nexus 4's that day if it's anything like the previous updates could take anything up to 2-3 weeks before every Nexus 4 gets it. Google seem to roll it out slowly and in no particular order.

I got 4.3 on day one. I just downloaded the file direct from Google and flashed it myself.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I got 4.3 on day one. I just downloaded the file direct from Google and flashed it myself.

Exactly. If you own a Nexus device you have no excuse not to be on the latest version. Just do it yourself and if the answer is "it's to hard- or" I'm scared my phone will explode" either stop whinging and wait or go and downgrade to an iPhone.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Exactly. If you own a Nexus device you have no excuse not to be on the latest version. Just do it yourself and if the answer is "it's to hard- or" I'm scared my phone will explode" either stop whinging and wait or go and downgrade to an iPhone.
    What about if the answer is "I don't want to wipe my device"?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    What about if the answer is "I don't want to wipe my device"?

updating a version on a Nexus doesnt wipe the phone :confused:

if you are flashing custom ROMs then you may lose apps/setting but not photos, music etc .....
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    updating a version on a Nexus doesnt wipe the phone :confused:
    Downloading the binary directly from Google and flashing it DOES wipe the device. There are messy, convoluted ways to avoid it doing so but frankly I'd rather wait the couple of days for the proper OTA.
    Forum Member
    It's not messy to get it not to wipe the device.

Perfectly simple to do. I did mine this way when 4.3 came out.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal preference is to use an app like Titanium Backup to back everything up and then wipe the device anyway and restore apps and data thereafter.

Despite what they say, starting clean (like any OS installation) is always better.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Downloading the binary directly from Google and flashing it DOES wipe the device. There are messy, convoluted ways to avoid it doing so but frankly I'd rather wait the couple of days for the proper OTA.

Depends what was implied by 'file' .....

If you assumed the binary then yes that would wipe. I assumed the ROM itself (for those waiting for the OTA) which wouldnt wipe. Not sure why anyone with a Nexus would download and flash the binary files unless they were fairly techie :confused:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumour has it that the launcher will decoupled and available in the Play Store, bringing the new functionality to 'everyone' (or everyone with 2.2 or 2.3+ at a guess)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/12/rumor-googles-new-launcher-in-android-4-4-is-called-google-experience-here-are-some-things-we-are-expecting-to-see-in-it/