Dog scratching the carpet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was woke up last night by my dog really scratching the carpet... he's never done this before and I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

The carpet now has really obvious scratch marks on it... and it's only in one small ish spot, about a 20cm square.

We're getting new carpet fitted soon and I don't want him scratching it all over the place :eek:

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    My dog sometimes does this to the carpet, rugs and even if I have laid down a blanket on the Settee for him to settle on. I think they are just getting themselves comfy before settling down! and a firm No that's enough! normally does the trick:):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's weird, my Mum's dog has a good old scratch to make things "more comfy" but Cookie's never done this before, and I don't see how it was to make it comfortable... it was really hard scratching. I've hoovered the spot and tried to fluff it up again but it's still really noticeable.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could it be a scent?

our pup made a 15cm hole in one carpet, and this is what we found it to be (also the reason he was messing in there)

we used to house a breeder's whwt pups & mum when she went away (quite fun with the litter that one pup screeched like a duck :rolleyes: ), they'd managed to push their pen over onto the carpet, rather than the lino, and torn the lino up a few times, messing on the carpet

after a new carpet and cleaning the floorboards with trigene, he's not bothered since, mess or scratching

we were also looking after a labrador one christmas, she decided to eat a 12" circle out of a doormat that chicken grease had been spilled on
    the smell of what she brought up was HORRENDOUS. right next to my bed on christmas morning too.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think they are trying to make a den, like in the long grass wild, they will scratch and turn in circles before settling down.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always put it down to bedding down. All my dogs do it to some extent - one is scratching the big dog duvet right now:D. Only one rucks the carpets though, and rarely at that - always in one spot near the door. I think he does it because it is cooler there.

Same dog does however ruck the chair he is allowed to sleep on quite frequently.

They have a big dog duvet, crates, beds, loads of blankets, a chair and a sofa - plenty of places to bed down. They all ruck these up to make 'nests'. Which is why I think they rarely/don't ruck the carpets.

That said, when the bitch comes in from a toilet in the back garden, she'll kick out with her back legs as though to spread the scent. When walking she does this quite vigorously as soon as she has toileted, if a poop she has kicked it back at me:eek: She doesn't do it much in the garden, prefering to come inside and do it. Mental:rolleyes: The boys don't do this at all. They cock & pee high and seem strangely ashamed of their poop:D

So, in summary - could be bedding down so provide more bedding material doggy is allowed to ruck, perhaps placing it in the place doggy is rucking. Or could be scent spreading - in which case clean the area with biological washing powder/liquid or a pet deodorizer and try more frequent walks.

Our ultimate plan is to get rid of as much carpet as possible - the Lounge will be Amtico tiles as soon as we get round to it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the above advice :)

He already has a dog bed (which he never goes anywhere near - typically!) and I have also layed out a few doggy blankets for him in various places.

I don't think it could be anything to do with a scent, as we just had the carpets cleaned a week ago. In that room and two others and he hasn't been scratching around in there.

Who knows :confused:

Will just get him some more bedding, and cover the spot with it as well as putting out a few more toys to hopefully keep him amused! Then if I hear him scrathcing again, will just tell him a firm "No" as Josephine_1 suggested.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Cocker Spaniel often scratches the carpet as he walks round and round until he decides he's got the right place and then he lies down if his bed isn't nearby. He has never scratched holes anywhere though it just gets bits of fluff off the carpet! He also scratches/moves his blankets around in his bed until settling down!
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we had this carpet cleaned many times, but he still found something on there that was interesting...

it could be worth disinfecting your floorboards before the new carpet goes down anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks xdow! Will do :)
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My George does a bizarre 'Michael Jackson' style moonwalk after completing a pooh. It's almost triumphant! :eek: