Options

Is Dexter an Aspie?

scotslassiescotslassie Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
The more I watch him the more I'm convinced the poor lad's got Asperger's Syndrome. (Though as of this year anyone previously diagnosed with Asperger's will now be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.)

Of course we can't ask him how he feels exactly but the main symptoms (some that we have seen already) are -

- problem with social skills, hard to make friends,
unconfortable in groups, finds it difficult to start a conversation, tries to be interesting and can end up talking a load of rubbish.

- has intense interests in certain subjects, can talk about those interests at length unaware people are bored. Often obsessional about making lists, taking notes, remembering information.

- appears to lack empathy but is really full of emotions.

- often says things that are out of place or rude without meaning it, & can have a habit of "sticking their foot in it".

- sometimes appears to lack facial expressions, can make repetitive movement, like rocking or finger twisting, can be clumsy.

Anyone see that?
Maybe that's his secret?

Comments

• Options
    sue6lkssue6lks Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    That thought had entered my mind too.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no

next excuse in the desperate scrabbling around to deny the obvious
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those symptoms might not necessarily mean that Dexter has asperger's syndrome though. It could just be his personality, the way he is. The odd few of them things I haven't noticed.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why people spend years getting medical/psychiatric qualifications, when DS amateurs can diagnose complex conditions just by watching a few hours of TV.
  • Options
    SupersarahpSupersarahp Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if he is an aspie then it doesn't make him a 'poor lad'

My best friend is in her own words "full on aspergic" and she's amazing.

I suspect I could potentially be a cuspie (not on the spectrum but definitely have some traits) that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Don't know why people spend years getting medical/psychiatric qualifications, when DS amateurs can diagnose complex conditions just by watching a few hours of TV.

This did make me laugh!
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    I was wondering when this years Aspergers thread would rear its ugly f*&^**g head.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And then they go making a mockery of it by using their knowledge for this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suspect I could potentially be a cuspie (not on the spectrum but definitely have some traits) that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I called him a poor lad because he's the underdog and appears to be having difficulties so far in the house. I'm sure getting 10 noms must hurt his feelings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In my opinion those folk who spend years getting their qualifications still aren't as qualified as someone who's lived with it for decades who can spot certain traits a mile off, and yes, even just by watching a few hours of TV.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion those folk who spend years getting their qualifications still aren't as qualified as someone who's lived with it for decades who can spot certain traits a mile off, and yes, even just by watching a few hours of TV.

and there are many medical conditions which display similar characteristics but are very different in diagnosis and treatment.

and isn't calling someone an 'aspie' somewhat derogatory?
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get this thread every year to try and explain away someones behaviour patterns..its like when a kid is naughty and playing up, now automatically everyone jumps to a conclusion that its ADHD.

People are people and all behave in different ways with different ethics and outlook on life,theres a million explainations why Dexter is behaving less uniformed than the majority.
    How he is can just be based on his life experiences and bringing up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Aspergers no longer exists as a diagnosis, they're all High Functioning Autistic now, which gladdens me cos a lot of parents with autistic kids used to use the name in a snobby way like it was somehow better than being autistic. Ha can't do that now!

I have to make clear though that was not ALL parents of "Aspies". Oh that reminds me, whoever said it, aspie is not a derogatory name it is a kind of affectionate nickname parents of and the sufferers themselves use, like some people with Parkinson's call themselves "Parkies". The nickname "Aughty" is used by some too.

I have to say though OP it is one thing to say someone seems to have similar traits to autism but I'm not comfortable with lay people diagnosing ppl remotely. Some parents of or workers with people with autism do this a lot and it isn't advisable.
  • Options
    changachanga Posts: 11,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everyone have to be labelled?

Give it a rest. Every year we have armchair psychs on here deciding which HM suffers from which personality disorder. I blame wiki.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    changa wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to be labelled?

Give it a rest. Every year we have armchair psychs on here deciding which HM suffers from which personality disorder. I blame wiki.

Good post.

We also seem to get a lot of armchair experts who think they know everything about interviewing ppl on TV even though they've never been anywhere near a journalism course or interviewed anyone themselves :p
  • Options
    Chief KegwinChief Kegwin Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I fit into that category as well, but I can`t be arsed with bullshit labels.
  • Options
    lounge_actlounge_act Posts: 48
    Forum Member

I LOVE the term full on aspergic I have aspergers & I'm so gonna be using that from now on!! My mum is a cuspie :D
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    od hominem wrote: »
    I was wondering when this years Aspergers thread would rear its ugly f*&^**g head.

:D

I'm waiting for the "Is X a sociopath" ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I'm with scotslassie, Dexter set off my 'aspie-sense' on day 1, and I've been collecting supporting evidence ever since (much like a qualified assessor would) :-) It may only be informed conjecture as we can't ask him whether his current issues have been life-long (which is the only factor up for debate here really) and I'm sorry to those people who disagree, but we aspies can often spot each other with high accuracy.

We also have a special hand shake. scotslassie feel free to DM me :-)
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it matter if he does? He is a legend and I want him to stay.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    He could well be. Yes it could just be his personality but you can't rule out anything like this either. I haven't been personally paying attention to any traits but I'm sure this thread will have me looking out for them now :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Why does it matter if he does? He is a legend and I want him to stay.

It matters because he is being misunderstood and misjudged, and it's not nice to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he's just odd.
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redex wrote: »
    No, he's just odd.

I'm not sure he's that odd, just not very socially gifted or emotionally intelligent.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Every housemate in the history of BB has had Asperger's. Especially Rex.