Options

What kind of idiot teacher runs off to France with a 15 year old student...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    I've only seen reports of the story on the TV news and haven't read the newspaper but I'm guessing this charming photo of Jeremy hasn't been used by the media? Yet.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a story many, many years ago of a young girl who ran away to turkey to be with an older man.

i wonder if the way to get her home sooner rather than later is to just ignore her ?. she's probably caught up in the excitement and "danger" of the "forbidden love", and also the fact that her lover is "sacrificing" himself to be with her because he'll go to jail as soon as they're found.

Just ignore her, let it become "normal" and she'll soon realise he's actually a bit of a tosser and quite dull.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    I've only seen reports of the story on the TV news and haven't read the newspaper but I'm guessing this charming photo of Jeremy hasn't been used by the media? Yet.

He reminds me of Rick from The Young Ones
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Have you read his blog all about himself? Talk about narcissistic.
    You haven't read many blogs, have you? :D
    Electra wrote: »
    I just really, really want her to be found safe & soon. He can go to hell as far as I care.
    Trouble is, it sounds like *she* cares about what happens to him. The bigger the outrage there is about all this, the more people insulting him and threatening him, the less likely she is to want them to come back so that horrific things can happen to him.

(Yes, we know he's entirely wrong and immoral and should be prosecuted and so on. But she doesn't think that.)
    i wonder if the way to get her home sooner rather than later is to just ignore her ?. she's probably caught up in the excitement and "danger" of the "forbidden love", and also the fact that her lover is "sacrificing" himself to be with her because he'll go to jail as soon as they're found.
    I think the chances are that'd be the best thing in this particular situation, yeah. But the police and so on can't risk it, in case he is actually abusing her, keeping her against her will, or whatever else (as well as because of the public outrage it'd cause!)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I think the chances are that'd be the best thing in this particular situation, yeah. But the police and so on can't risk it, in case he is actually abusing her, keeping her against her will, or whatever else (as well as because of the public outrage it'd cause!)

Absolutely right. The police would be moaned at probably no matter what they did so I guess they have to go all out to make sure she's found first and foremost.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I think she's preggers, they panicked, and ran.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was common practice that if a school have concerns about a teacher/pupil inappropriate relationship taking place they suspend the teacher until an investigation is carried out. Maybe I was wrong.

Our local school has had a few occurances of this happening, and never has a teacher been suspended.
    They've been given warnings etc, but it's a slow road apparently to get anything 'done' as it's hard to prove.

As for the parents of the girl not being told, that's not unusual either. The only time the parents of a student were involved where I live, is when they knew and supported it. And some parents do oddly. This example, they knew for 2 years, and after he finished school, they had babies and set up home together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would love to know whether, proportionally, the number of teachers having liasons with under 18s is higher than other professions.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to know whether, proportionally, the number of teachers having liasons with under 18s is higher than other professions.

Probably as they have more contact (appropriate word:eek::confused:;) )with them than anyone else. It will have been going on for years, but with 24 hr news, facebook & twitter we now hear more about it. There was a lovely lady on the BBC news earlier saying how something similar happened to her in the late 60's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I've seen several people mention the fact that Megan is alleged to have texted someone that she'd arrived in France.

However, on FB, one of her relatives categorically stated that she hadn't. I was confused as I'd thought the police said Megan had texted a friend.

Her friends on FB said:
    1. The text was not from her phone
    2. Megan didn't take her phone with her.

This may explain why she has not been in contact. I feel sorry for her-I fear this will not end well,. I suspect Forrest has persuaded her to cut all conctact & the text was from him - or someone helping him. Wonder if the police have checked his mates?
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I can't remember any of my teachers, male or female being, under 40, apart from Miss MacKenzie a right butch lezzie Gym teacher, the well developed 4th form girls were more in danger from a grope from her than any male teacher.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SofaRosa wrote: »
    I've seen several people mention the fact that Megan is alleged to have texted someone that she'd arrived in France.

However, on FB, one of her relatives categorically stated that she hadn't. I was confused as I'd thought the police said Megan had texted a friend.

Her friends on FB said:

This may explain why she has not been in contact. I feel sorry for her-I fear this will not end well,. I suspect Forrest has persuaded her to cut all conctact & the text was from him - or someone helping him. Wonder if the police have checked his mates?

They may have purchased a PAYG mobile phone, either from the UK or France.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for the report about the text message, the updated news is this:

http://news.sky.com/story/989565/missing-megan-cops-had-seized-pairs-phones
    Police seized the phones of Jeremy Forrest and Megan Stammers days before they travelled to France, according to reports.

Officers are said to have questioned the teacher and pupil after the Bishop Bell School in Eastbourne, East Sussex, alerted them to suspicions of a relationship.

Snip:
    "The school, in conjunction with the local authority, Megan’s parents and the police, had been investigating those concerns when this happened,"

But:
    But Megan’s mother Danielle Wilson, 37, said she knew nothing of the alleged affair until she ran off with Forrest.

But that can't be right can it?
    If the police are questioning a minor don't the parents have to be there or at least informed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SofaRosa wrote: »

Her friends on FB said:

http://news.sky.com/story/989184/missing-megan-police-release-ferry-cctv
    A text message, believed to be from the teenager, was sent to one of her friends saying she had arrived safely in France but did not come from her own phone, police revealed.

I would imagine own phones would be left behind as they could be tracked by the phone tower pings. A pre-paid disposable phone is much more anonymous.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    emnat wrote: »
    ....he only got married last year too! :eek:

He's 30 by the way which means there is a 15 year age gap but Michael Douglas is 25 years older than Catherine. If they'd waited a few months he would not be facing prison and on the sex offenders register not to mention he'll never work as a teacher again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207064/Megan-Stammers-Fathers-desperate-plea-schoolgirl-15-fled-France-man.html

The 16 year old rule doesn't apply to teachers and students at their own school. Anything younger than 18 and it's, 'Good morning judge!'
  • Options
    thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume that their only hope is to go to ground as they have already done.

They Return - He goes to Jail
    She contacts anyone - the police find them - He goes to Jail

She could come home alone, and he would then be a sought after fugitive and she would probably not see him again until he was in Jail.

All of this widely publicised "please get in touch,please come home" nonsense basically translates as please give your whereabouts away so we can come and arrest your boyfriend and stick you in counselling.

If you are a young in love teenager then it would be romantic suicide.

I wait impatiently to see the next chapter in this sorry saga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God, I can't remember any of my teachers, male or female being, under 40, apart from Miss MacKenzie a right butch lezzie Gym teacher, the well developed 4th form girls were more in danger from a grope from her than any male teacher.

Girlfriends I’ve had plenty
    None like Miss Mackenzie
    That’s what I go to school for
    That’s what I go to school for
    (Busted "What I Go To School For")
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was common practice that if a school have concerns about a teacher/pupil inappropriate relationship taking place they suspend the teacher until an investigation is carried out. Maybe I was wrong.

I certainly thought that would be best practice to th point of being mandatory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »

But that can't be right can it?
    If the police are questioning a minor don't the parents have to be there or at least informed?

They were investigating 'concerns'. The parents probably knew about the concerns, but not the affair. She may have lied to her parents and said nothing is going on.

Maybe they will eventually come back, he will get into whatever trouble the police have in store for him, she will sell her story, make loads of money, he will be out next year and then they will live happily ever after.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    They were investigating 'concerns'. The parents probably knew about the concerns, but not the affair. She may have lied to her parents and said nothing is going on.

Maybe they will eventually come back, he will get into whatever trouble the police have in store for him, she will sell her story, make loads of money, he will be out next year and then they will live happily ever after.

Says on Sky News the mother knew nothing about the alleged affair.

My guess is the school tried covering this up and now it's back fired big time.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »

My guess is the school tried covering this up and now it's back fired big time.:(

But it also says that the pair had had their phones investigated and been questioned by the Police - so that would imply that as the parents of a minor they were informed and present. Indeed, the headmaster has said:

http://news.sky.com/story/989565/missing-megan-cops-had-seized-pairs-phones
    The school’s headteacher, Terry Boatwright, said the school had been investigating the issue before the pair left the country.

"The school, in conjunction with the local authority, Megan’s parents and the police, had been investigating those concerns when this happened," he said.

Even as a bottom covering exercise, I wouldn't have thought the head could say the parents were aware if thet weren't?

Maybe they believed her and thought it was something that had been blown up out of proportion, but it sounds like they did know there was something that was being investigated? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say that I never met a 14 year old that I thought it was worth sacrificing my marriage, family, career, good name and freedom for.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    There have been a fair few that have skirted very near to saying that, which leaves the rest of us to draw our own conclusions as to how they view young teenage girls.

And we know how adept DS posters can be at doing that....;)

Thing is - it doesn't have to be that way. If you think somebody is "skirting" very near to saying something - why not open up a dialogue with them and discuss the subject further, that way you can gain a clear understanding and nobody has to draw their own conclusions.

It is after-all a "discussion" forum.

It benefits nobody if you jump to conclusions - especially if those conclusions are incorrect.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, this is going to end badly for the Principle, i believe she has lied to cover her ass as she would have been aware of the school scuttlebutt regarding the perp and his pupil.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On the flip side, the parents are hardly going to go on national TV and say:

"yes we knew all about the investigation and the fact she had her phone confiscated, but I let her look me in the eye, tell her she loved me (which is odd for a teenager), then go off alone to stay at a 'friends' house overnight without even checking to see where she was staying or whether in fact, she was definitely staying there......"

Since there is conflicting information on this matter, it doesn't really benefit to speculate until the facts are in.
This discussion has been closed.