google allows fake names on google+

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Google is now going to allow fake names on Google+. good thing or bad thing?

I don't use it myself, but i did notice that when google tries to get me to sign up to Google plus due to my you tube channels, they don't really seem to care that it is not my real name.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

I don't use it myself, but i did notice that when google tries to get me to sign up to Google plus due to my you tube channels, they don't really seem to care that it is not my real name.

People shouldn't be forced to use their real name as a user name.

But IMO a username should be a nickname rather than a Christian type name.

For example 'Xandux41' rather than 'Paul Smith' etc.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that was the dichotomy, they could not make YT users to use their real identity because it wasn't like that from the beginning. If they forced it YT would fall apart. Apparently G+ users did not like that, and Google is now relaxing the rules for them, too. They know everything about everybody, so they probably don't really care either way.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a fake name for ages. It's just random letters for both the first and surname. The only reason I signed up was so I could review apps on Google Play.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Well that was the dichotomy, they could not make YT users to use their real identity because it wasn't like that from the beginning. If they forced it YT would fall apart. Apparently G+ users did not like that, and Google is now relaxing the rules for them, too. They know everything about everybody, so they probably don't really care either way.

its been an issue long before Youtube users started moaning about it.

basically, they've never been able to successfully enforce it without pissing off people with unusual names and getting false positives. They also reached the conclusion that (apparently) it will make sod all difference to trolling. Seeing as I've seen people post plenty of offensive stuff under what seems to be their real name, it certainly didn't prevent trolling.

I hope that the 'norm' stays that people post under their real name. It makes for a much friendlier atmosphere.

more info at:
    https://plus.google.com/+YonatanZunger/posts/gkEADkciCzc
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

I noticed that too. Doesnt really bother me, I'd rather not use my real name as a username, rather one like I have on here or other forums :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People shouldn't be forced to use their real name as a user name.

But IMO a username should be a nickname rather than a Christian type name.

For example 'Xandux41' rather than 'Paul Smith' etc.

Absolutely agree. Forcing people to use their real names on sites where they make comments is a bad idea. I'm that used to my internet name that I'd feel incredibly weird seeing anything else next to my comments.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I never used my real name anyway.

At least P Encil gets to live on without fear of persecution.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I noticed that too. Doesnt really bother me, I'd rather not use my real name as a username, rather one like I have on here or other forums :D

As I said I have never really used it, i did make a mistake once of signing up for it when I clicked on the wrong button when you tube came up with it, but i soon got rid of it again.

Just wanted to see what people thought. It was easy enough to put a false name in anyway as i know someone who already did.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a mixture of two family names. Both German. But they are not my own name, as my Father was Scottish.