AT power supply switch

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes, you did read it right, a old AT power supply.
A mate of mine got a Intel 233 machine, which uses a AT power supply, but the switch have gone, it stays in and don't pop back out. I presume the spring is broken, but I did not really have a look today.

If the switch is gone, is it possible to get replacements? It have a been a while since i even seen a AT power supply, never mind fix a switch on one.

The other thing we could do if need be is replace the motherboard with another board we have got that have a P2 chip in, this board got a ATX and AT connections. But then I may have reinstall windows 98.

Now you are wondering why we are botching with such a old machine. ISA, that is why, both these boards got ISA and ISA is what my mates sound card uses, in fact the sound car is not important as such, but it is the only card he have got that have pins for a wave table and that is where his Yamaha Daughter board fits on.

He do not want to lose the daughterboard that is connected via midi to his keyboard and the sounds of it are amazing even in this day and age.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i remember correctly the AT powersupply switch is just an on/off switch going to the MB so probably a bit of time and some soldering will be easy to make a replacement or just drive down to the local tip and see whats in the skip, theres always a freecycle add that may have someone with an old machine in the loft which may be bodgeable

but if its a midi device surely you'll be easier with a usb2midi adapter than trying to nurse 20 year old gear along in the long term

technically midi just transmits a code which is converted into the sound at the target end so the actual link between machine and keyboard is pretty much not worth careing about.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    if i remember correctly the AT powersupply switch is just an on/off switch going to the MB so probably a bit of time and some soldering will be easy to make a replacement or just drive down to the local tip and see whats in the skip, theres always a freecycle add that may have someone with an old machine in the loft which may be bodgeable

The AT powersupply switch is connected to the powersupply, not like ATX where the switch is connected to the motherboard.
    But you could be right about looking at something like freecycle or maybe even ebay,

I thought I had some here, but I must have dumped them

but if its a midi device surely you'll be easier with a usb2midi adapter than trying to nurse 20 year old gear along in the long term

technically midi just transmits a code which is converted into the sound at the target end so the actual link between machine and keyboard is pretty much not worth careing about.

I think you are not getting what I mean.

This old computer runs a sound card, that is ISA, connected to the sound card via a interface on the card is what is a called a daughterboard, some people used to called it a wave table. It is a board with sounds on, so you connect a keyboard via midi to it and you use something like Cakewalk to get the sounds out.

So the daughterboard will not work without a sound card that supports it.

something like this, but not this model

i know you can get modules and he have got a a couple, that just fits on to the keyboard, but this board got a fantastic grand piano.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yes, you did read it right, a old AT power supply.
    A mate of mine got a Intel 233 machine, which uses a AT power supply, but the switch have gone, it stays in and don't pop back out. I presume the spring is broken, but I did not really have a look today.

If the switch is gone, is it possible to get replacements? It have a been a while since i even seen a AT power supply, never mind fix a switch on one.

The other thing we could do if need be is replace the motherboard with another board we have got that have a P2 chip in, this board got a ATX and AT connections. But then I may have reinstall windows 98.

Now you are wondering why we are botching with such a old machine. ISA, that is why, both these boards got ISA and ISA is what my mates sound card uses, in fact the sound car is not important as such, but it is the only card he have got that have pins for a wave table and that is where his Yamaha Daughter board fits on.

He do not want to lose the daughterboard that is connected via midi to his keyboard and the sounds of it are amazing even in this day and age.

I still have a switched power supply on my old machine but not quite as old as that machine. I think that is going to be your problem that give the age find spares could be difficult. That said just the power switch is likely to be common element rather than just the machine. However i think your best bet would be a replacement AT power supply. You should find some on ebay quite cheap or maybe a PC recycle centre if their is one near you. You might try the local tip some have bins where people throw out old machines if you ask nicely they might let you have a look. Give them 5 quid or something if you find one or make an offer.

Thanks

Graham Tull
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still motherboards out there that come with an ISA slot (not many but a few) so it may be possible to move the card over to new system but the question is will the new os that'll be required support the card properly should there be no luck on ebay etc
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    There are still motherboards out there that come with an ISA slot (not many but a few) so it may be possible to move the card over to new system but the question is will the new os that'll be required support the card properly should there be no luck on ebay etc

I think there are XP drivers for the main sound card, the midi daughterboard do not need drivers. I bet boards with ISA slots are expensive.

Maybe I will go with plan B, putting the P2 board in that have a ATX power connection. as long as the memory is the same.

This is the problem with odd equipment and things changing, I suppose most people would have done away with the sound card by now and got some more modern and to be honest Asus range of Sonar cards is great and would work, but no wave table connection, it seemed to have gone out of fashion which is a shame.