Options

Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abigail05 wrote: »
    I certainly can't believe you are - let me guess, you are very young and probably female.

They are simply a bunch of put together mannikin dolls to appeal to the the teen girl market. They have the power of the Cowell machine behind them as success for them equals even bigger financial success for Cowell.

But as we all know, teen girls are very fickle, they will soon move onto the next mannikin boy band, which may well be UJ - until next year. :eek:

I have read your other posts and think you are just around for a reaction so here I am replying :D

They do indeed have a lot of teen fans but they also have lots of mature fans too. Ah just clicked you are the one that said if you like 1D and are over 12 you must have issues :mad: I note you didn't respond to my response!

Are you seriously teling me that all their success (record sales, tour tickets, merchandise) is ONLY down to teenage girls ? Their latest single is playlisted onradio 2 and they have featured in Cosmo and Vogue which is not an outlet for 12 yr old girls!

Anyway I don't think you deal with facts just your own reality so that's fine. if you really dislike them so much why do you comment on every post about them :confused: No problem with posters who dislike 1D and post accordingly but it is strange when the dislike becomes obsession I don't suppose it has occurred to you to just chill and enjoy what you like:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I have read your other posts and think you are just around for a reaction so here I am replying :D

They do indeed have a lot of teen fans but they also have lots of mature fans too. Ah just clicked you are the one that said if you like 1D and are over 12 you must have issues :mad: I note you didn't respond to my response!

Are you seriously teling me that all their success (record sales, tour tickets, merchandise) is ONLY down to teenage girls ? Their latest single is playlisted onradio 2 and they have featured in Cosmo and Vogue which is not an outlet for 12 yr old girls!

Anyway I don't think you deal with facts just your own reality so that's fine. if you really dislike them so much why do you comment on every post about them :confused: No problem with posters who dislike 1D and post accordingly but it is strange when the dislike becomes obsession I don't suppose it has occurred to you to just chill and enjoy what you like:D

I didn't see your other response. Yes, I think understandably, that the majority of fans are likely to be young girls, and I'm sure, on the whole, that is the case.

I have to admit that I personally cannot understand how anyone else would like them, but I guess each to their own. When I said fans over 12 had issues, it was meant in a light-hearted way, but I do find that strange - I can't deny that.

I just find it irritating when people go on about how great they are, when it is obvious to most, that they aren't. Just human nature I suppose, maybe I should refrain from expressing my opinion when feeling irritated - but what the hell!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    It's still so funny to read the first pages of this topic back..Just sayin'
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still so funny to read the first pages of this topic back..Just sayin'

everytime!! lolz!!:eek::p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly can't believe you are - let me guess, you are very young and probably female.

They are simply a bunch of put together mannikin dolls to appeal to the the teen girl market. They have the power of the Cowell machine behind them as success for them equals even bigger financial success for Cowell.

But as we all know, teen girls are very fickle, they will soon move onto the next mannikin boy band, which may well be UJ - until next year. :eek:

Most of the 1D fans I've come across seem to prefer D3 and haven't taken to UJ as they look too similar to 1D. Also I highly doubt UJ will replace 1D as they've been in the bottom 2 three times now and 1D were never in the bottom 2. Also UJ have only reached the semis because of the numerous rebound votes:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishful thinking. America have better talent than us and ID aren't even talented. Why would they want our rubbish?

It's a fact and not wishful thinking. 1D are the biggest teen sensation in the world right now and they've dethroned Bieber and he's losing awards (i.e. VMA's) and sales to them. Their second album opened with 540,000 copies in the US whereas, Bieber's recent one opened with 374,00 copies.
    Simon has a lot of power over there, not them. My unfavourable opinion, as you put it, is common in those over the age of 20.

They are a manufactured bunch of untalented 'schoolboys', put together to appeal to teenage girls, not because they are musically talented.

No doubt American teen girls are as soppy as our own, but they have a much bigger pool to of their own teen boys to choose from - can't see ID making much of a dent, even with Simon's connections.

Well they had Big Time Rush (a US boyband) before 1D came along and they hardly made an impact. Girls over there could have easily chosen their American boys over 1D, but they didn't :D

They have made a dent, and like it or not they're absolutely massive over there.

When they appeared on the 'Today Show' 15,000 fans turned up and that's the biggest turn out they have ever had in the history of the show even more than the likes of Gaga and Bieber.

Their first album which debuted in March was the first album released in 2012 to go platinum. Their album also remained in the top ten for more than 20 weeks in the US which is the longest for a group since Nsync! (not even the Jonas Brothers could do that).
    That depends on your definition of success.The real successful one is Simon. Yes ID will be successful in they will make a lot of money because Simon is behind them - but musically they will not achieve. They are a second rate boy band - nothing more.

They've already made £100 million between them. Seriously where have you been? :p But I guess you could call Simon the real success as he's made an extra £200 million for his record label in just a year:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    It's a fact and not wishful thinking. 1D are the biggest teen sensation in the world right now and they've dethroned Bieber and he's losing awards (i.e. VMA's) and sales to them. Their second album opened with 540,000 copies in the US whereas, Bieber's recent one opened with 374,00 copies.

Well they had Big Time Rush (a US boyband) before 1D came along and they hardly made an impact. Girls over there could have easily chosen their American boys over 1D, but they didn't :D

They have made a dent, and like it or not they're absolutely massive over there.

When they appeared on the 'Today Show' 15,000 fans turned up and that's the biggest turn out they have ever had in the history of the show even more than the likes of Gaga and Bieber.

Their first album which debuted in March was the first album released in 2012 to go platinum. Their album also remained in the top ten for more than 20 weeks in the US which is the longest for a group since Nsync! (not even the Jonas Brothers could do that).

They've already made £100 million between them. Seriously where have you been? :p But I guess you could call Simon the real success as he's made an extra £200 million for his record label in just a year:D

I'm not talking about money. What defines a real musician or successful band is reputation. They will never have that.

They will always be that manufactured boy band from xfactor who couldn't sing very well. Nevermind money not buying you love, it certainly can't buy you credibility.

As money is all they can achieve they need to make a lot of money quickly - because they won't be around long enough to make much more.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not talking about money. What defines a real musician or successful band is reputation. They will never have that.

They will always be that manufactured boy band from xfactor who couldn't sing very well. Nevermind money not buying you love, it certainly can't buy you credibility.

As money is all they can achieve they need to make a lot of money quickly - because they won't be around long enough to make much more.

Reputation?? Are you sure that is the right word?

Look, you can keep arguing till you're blue, it still won't change the fact that they're huge. Try and focus on something you like or are interested in, trust me you will feel a lot better.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Reputation?? Are you sure that is the right word?

Look, you can keep arguing till you're blue, it still won't change the fact that they're huge. Try and focus on something you like or are interested in, trust me you will feel a lot better.:p

If you say so! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You did mention money once, as you said they 'will make money' and I simply replied saying they had made a lot of that already. You also questioned how much of an impact they were making, and I replied with facts saying that they already had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

FGS they are a boy band ! Why are you rabbiting on about credible musicianship :confused: Even McFly are fantatsic musicians but at the end of the day they are still a boyband and they know that.

As for their X factor roots, Yes sadly here in UK (because we are elitist like that :eek:) but I can assure you most of the american public don't care where someone has come from and celebrate success for what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FGS they are a boy band ! Why are you rabbiting on about credible musicianship :confused: Even McFly are fantatsic musicians but at the end of the day they are still a boyband and they know that.

As for their X factor roots, Yes sadly here in UK (because we are elitist like that :eek:) but I can assure you most of the american public don't care where someone has come from and celebrate success for what it is.

Perhaps I am rambling somewhat. Blame it on brain ache after listening to all the mind numbing bull about how wonderful these untalented bunch of boys are.

They have been lucky, that's all. They don't deserve it, they were just in the right place at the right time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps I am rambling somewhat. Blame it on brain ache after listening to all the mind numbing bull about how wonderful these untalented bunch of boys are.

They have been lucky, that's all. They don't deserve it, they were just in the right place at the right time.

The boys themselves mention in interviews how lucky they have been and know that it could have been any 5 boys from the boys catagory from that year but would they have gelled and had the chemistry like these boys?. I doubt it and IMO this is the magic that makes them work . Of course you can't see that but so many others who buy their merchandise and tickets and records can.

They may have had luck in the beginning but they have capitalized on this luck and worked it in their favour . As for being right place right time. Possibly but if you go back to the beginning of this thread so many couldn't see it happening in the USA and it did so maybe a bit of right time and a lot of right band. After all The Wanted got there before them but haven't had the same success they have had
  • Options
    RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see this thread put to the top of the forum, I imagine Simon Cowell posting and then sitting back and laughing ala Vincent Price at the end of the Thriller video. (Most expensive video ever made at the time, btw)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reven wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread put to the top of the forum, I imagine Simon Cowell posting and then sitting back and laughing ala Vincent Price at the end of the Thriller video. (Most expensive video ever made at the time, btw)

Lool :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the examiner reports on the boys and their new hasbro dolls: :p

"One Direction promotes Hasbro dolls and greets fans at event in New York City":cool::cool:

http://www.examiner.com/article/one-direction-promotes-hasbro-dolls-and-greets-fans-at-event-new-york-city

"The new One Direction dolls from Hasbro are different from the One Direction dolls that went on sale in Europe in 2011. Hasbro's One Direction dolls are singing dolls that are dressed in the same outfits that One Direction wore on the group's first U.S. TV performance, which was on NBC's "Today" on March 12, 2012. Toys R Us reported that the dolls as are among the hottest-selling toys of the holiday season in 2012.":D:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Just think, one year from now our own Christopher Maloney may have cracked the States.:eek: although I prefer to hope that our friends across the pond have better taste :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rehtorbgib wrote: »
    Just think, one year from now our own Christopher Maloney may have cracked the States.:eek: although I prefer to hope that our friends across the pond have better taste :)

:eek:

begone, satsuma worshipper!! lolz!!:eek::mad::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reven wrote: »

Lol!!!:D:D

Who knows, maybe he does.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

What?? Lol!!!:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

:D:D Maybe he will arrive by cruise ship with his nan :D I can see his arrival now as they sail into NY. The crowds going frenzy . Chris singing New York New York and hailed as the new Sinatra :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D Maybe he will arrive by cruise ship with his nan :D I can see his arrival now as they sail into NY. The crowds going frenzy . Chris singing New York New York and hailed as the new Sinatra :D

and all will sleep dreaming tangerine dreams:eek::sleep::sleep::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just lovin the youtube vids posted by fans from last night's moneghan sun show!!:cool::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Uncle Simon would certainly go nuts.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    So tonight they are headlining a sold out show at Madison Square Garden.

It's less than nine months after their first US TV appearance according to a post above.

And people are still trying to argue that they haven't really cracked America?

:D:D:D