The 2014 Oscars Thread

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    american hustle DIDN'T get nommed for best makeup and hairstyle!!!!!
    :D

and nice list for best visual effects
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cate Blanchett can just phone this win in. She's a shoo in.

Her only rival is Amy but she's had this in the bag since July.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Her only rival is Amy but she's had this in the bag since July.

I am shocked Tom Hanks didn't get nominated. He was the hot favourite for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am shocked Tom Hanks didn't get nominated. He was the hot favourite for ages.

He was. I think Christian stole his place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Philomena doing well so far.

Don't you mean "Philomania"?:p

I see it only took two seconds for the British press to start creaming themselves over the fact that Philomena has been nominated, i'm happy for the film because it IS a good film, but it doesn't stand a chance at actually winning. Same goes for Steve McQueen getting a directing nomination, it'll be Alfonso Cuaron that takes that one, because no matter how good 12 Years A Slave is (and it's my bet for Best Picture), the directing work done on Gravity is far beyond anything demonstrated in any of the other nominees this year.

I'm surprised at the lack of Tom Hanks though, although i can't argue with any of the other Best Actor nominations, i think it'll be a tight race this year.

Also surprised that Emma Thompson and Saving Mr Banks were totally snubbed, not that i'd expect either to have won, but i thought they'd at least get a nomination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waste of nominations for Julia and Meryl. All Julia did was swear and shout, while all Streep did was slur her words and wore a wig. Oprah Winfrey was much better and deserved Julia's place among best supporting actresses.

Very happy about Jonah Hill and Christian bale. Didn't see that coming.

Bradley Cooper was great but not oscar worthy.

Glad Redford was snubbed. Looking conspitated for nearly 2 hours doesn't require talent or any award nominations

Very happy Emma was snubbed. Giving us the same wooden performances she has given us for the last 3 decades has obviously bored people

Happy Amy finally bagged her first best actress nomination.

Happy with Leo as well. This is his fourth nomination.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another nod for Meryl?! Well, it is Academy law.

Surprised at Tom Hanks missing out, but good on co-star, Barkhad Abdi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am gonna do my own Oscars nominations later on. I did it last year.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it odd that a film can be up for best film, but have no-one nominated in any of the acting categories. Thrilled to see 'Her' nominated though, even if it has no chance of winning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yet another nod for Meryl?! Well, it is Academy law.

Surprised at Tom Hanks missing out, but good on co-star, Barkhad Abdi.

Is this Meryls 18th or 19th nomination?
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No nomination for Emma Thompson?
    I had her down as 2nd favourite to win after Cate Blanchett, (although I would like Amy to win).

I'm very, very surprised to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I find it odd that a film can be up for best film, but have no-one nominated in any of the acting categories. Thrilled to see 'Her' nominated though, even if it has no chance of winning.

Nothing odd. If you look through the history of oscar nominations, you will see films nominated for best film but not up for acting awards

Life Of Pi, Midnight in paris, The Tree of life, War horse and Inception have all been nominated for best picture of the last couple of years but didn't get any nominations for acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this Meryls 18th or 19th nomination?

18th:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    18th:)

Wow that is amazing. Although I'm not sure she deserves it this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing odd. If you look through the history of oscar nominations, you will see films nominated for best film but not up for acting awards

Life Of Pi, Midnight in paris, The Tree of life, War horse and Inception have all been nominated for best picture of the last couple of years but didn't get any nominations for acting.

I didn't mean odd in terms of it not happening before. I meant that I personally just find it odd that the film is recognised but no-one in it is. I'm also slightly biased and wanted to see Joaquin Phoenix nominated (again) as I did Scarlett, but I get that they don't like to nominate voice parts, as much as I disagree with that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't mean odd in terms of it not happening before. I meant that I personally just find it odd that the film is recognised but no-one in it is. I'm also slightly biased and wanted to see Joaquin Phoenix nominated (again) as I did Scarlett, but I get that they don't like to nominate voice parts, as much as I disagree with that. :)

Joaquin should have been nominated but competition is so tough this year. Even Hanks didn't make the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would of loved to have seen Joaquin nominated and Scarlett as well. Would rather Joaquin nominted over Chiwetel and Scarlett over Julia Roberts.

The best actor is very tough this year, where as last year it was obvious Daniel Day Lewis would win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joaquin should have been nominated but competition is so tough this year. Even Hanks didn't make the list.

Agreed. Wanted Tom nominated too!
    I would of loved to have seen Joaquin nominated and Scarlett as well. Would rather Joaquin nominted over Chiwetel and Scarlett over Julia Roberts.

The best actor is very tough this year, where as last year it was obvious Daniel Day Lewis would win.

And agreed. I didn't think he would be, but would have been nice to add another nomination to his list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Wanted Tom nominated too!

And agreed. I didn't think he would be, but would have been nice to add another nomination to his list.

The faces he pulled last year when he was shown in the audience didn't help much. On top of his comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Miss J-Law is gonna win the oscar. Mainly because i feel she is still in the early stages of her career and will have many more years and roles ahead of her to secure her another win. I think Lupita may win it or Sally Hawkins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Miss J-Law is gonna win the oscar. Mainly because i feel she is still in the early stages of her career and will have many more years and roles ahead of her to secure her another win. I think Lupita may win it or Sally Hawkins.

She is the darling of Hollyweird at the moment so i wouldn't be surprised if she did win. I hope Sally gets it. That was a lovely subtle performance. Surprised Daniel Bruhl wasn't nominated either. It was a great performance and he deserved it.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear lord, I've just got this bad feeling that jennifer lawrence is going to win :( she over did it.

I'm watching blue jasmine tonight. But I would love it if June Squibb won for Nebraska.

Who do we think will win best actor and best film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Oh dear lord, I've just got this bad feeling that jennifer lawrence is going to win :( she over did it.

I'm watching blue jasmine tonight. But I would love it if June Squibb won for Nebraska.

Who do we think will win best actor and best film?

McConnaughey or Ejifor. Definitely 12 Years for Best Film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is the darling of Hollyweird at the moment so i wouldn't be surprised if she did win. I hope Sally gets it. That was a lovely subtle performance. Surprised Daniel Bruhl wasn't nominated either. It was a great performance and he deserved it.

I agree about Sally. It would also make up for the fact she was snubbed for Happy go lucky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree about Sally. It would also make up for the fact she was snubbed for Happy go lucky

Didn't like her in that. Her constant nervous laughter was irritating.