Luke Friend is awful

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    luke and tameras performances were remarkably similar tonight

both used parts of the song to show off their strengths but were very weak vocally for the majority of the time

just depends how gullible people are to remember the good bits and ignore the bad

Suppose it depends how biased and blinkered some people are :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I agree that Luke was poor, BUT the problem for the show is that he still isn't the worst contestant they have!!

How on earth the show managed to get through all those auditions and subsequent rounds to come up with a final 12 that included Luke, Sam C, Abi, miss dynamix, Shelley and the other over (can't recall her name) is frankly amazing. With all due respect to Sam B, the fact that a failed cruise shop singer is the odds- on favourite should be ringing alarm bells for the way thus whole show is put together.
  • lkherelkhere Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn`t awful but not a show stopper. The judges all bigging him up baffles me.

I don't think the judges are bigging him up especially not last night as they were too busy carrying on and giving non descript comments tbh
    I think he's actually not bad and has improved as the weeks have gone on, don't think he'll make the final but do think he will do well outside the show if given the support
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I don't think he's that great either very overrated on this forum
  • lkherelkhere Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Convict wrote: »
    I agree that Luke was poor, BUT the problem for the show is that he still isn't the worst contestant they have!!

How on earth the show managed to get through all those auditions and subsequent rounds to come up with a final 12 that included Luke, Sam C, Abi, miss dynamix, Shelley and the other over (can't recall her name) is frankly amazing. With all due respect to Sam B, the fact that a failed cruise shop singer is the odds- on favourite should be ringing alarm bells for the way thus whole show is put together.

way I see it is they don't pick the best 12 they pick maybe 2-3 they want to win and the rest are cannon fodder rated in terms of what weeks they will last.....as otherwise how can they push for certain acts to win if it's full of winners?!!
    my thought on this tbh
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I think Luke has shown more versatility than some of the others. Not the greatest voice but distinctive. At least he doesn't have me reaching for the mute button as I do when Hannah sings (shouts).
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was his mum in that video?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    lkhere wrote: »
    way I see it is they don't pick the best 12 they pick maybe 2-3 they want to win and the rest are cannon fodder rated in terms of what weeks they will last.....as otherwise how can they push for certain acts to win if it's full of winners?!!
    my thought on this tbh

But surely, out of all the thousands of auditionees, they can come up with 12 who are all potential winners and it therefore doesn't matter which one comes out on top?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    He is awful but if you close your eyes and listen to him he is quite good :o
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    He is awful but if you close your eyes and listen to him he is quite good :o

So basically you think hes good? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Convict wrote: »

You mean Lorna. I thought she was quite good actually, and at least not as cringeworthy as Shelley with her performance.

I do think that some of the contestants who were rejected at judges houses stage were better than a few of the ones who got through though! In particular Paul and also Jason who Sharon didn't even select for her top six.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Just listening now, he isnt bad himself, but why is he singing the flaming Ellie Goulding version? :mad:
    Its an Elton John song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antypants wrote: »
    That comment that he looks like a teenage girl in the early stages of pregnancy is disgusting.
    It is a singing competition not a beauty contest

I thought it was funny as it wasn't so much about his natural looks but more about how he comes across with his baggy shirts and rolled up trousers.

He's pretty average and shouldn't get much further. But hey, where's his competition?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh F*ck off Louis, he combined the Ellie Goulding and Moulin Rouge (at the end) versions! He didnt "make it his own" :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I Love Lukes voice, didnt care much for him at the beginning but now hes GREAT, dark horse indeed!
  • rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Luke was brilliant tonight. He sounded fantastic singing Your Song, he looked great, and I think his performance was a highlight of the show.

I've finally worked out who his voice reminds me of, it's been annoying me for weeks: Joe Washbourne from Toploader. Anyone else remember them?

THAT'S who he reminds me of vocally! Thank you!!!
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too awful for words
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was very good - second best performance of the night. I'm guessing everybody else on this thread watched a different show.

As usual, the staging was dreadful.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke has this soft rocky tone to his voice. I didn't rate him before however his "Kiss From A Rose" was fantastic his best so far.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything stunk last night but he was particularly duff. Who the hell "styles" them? He looks like an arse in his make-up, blouse made from nan's curtains, leggings and pumps all accessorised with beads/bangles/bracelets/scarves - he's just an awful caricature of what a dopey Syco exec' thinks is an edgy singer.
  • twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I don't get it. He's a good singer, he sings a hell of a lot better than I do, but I could say the same about pretty much any busker out there. I don't see his market.
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twss wrote: »
    I don't get it. He's a good singer, he sings a hell of a lot better than I do, but I could say the same about pretty much any busker out there. I don't see his market.

He is very personable and charismatic, no less so than Thom Yorke or Guy Garvey. Fronting a decent band, Luke could be very successful - though I suspect appearing on XF will have compromised his chances of making that happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is very personable and charismatic, no less so than Thom Yorke or Guy Garvey. Fronting a decent band, Luke could be very successful - though I suspect appearing on XF will have compromised his chances of making that happen.

Luke has also has mentioned Eddie Vedder as being one of his greatest musical inspirations in countless interviews - Eddie is perhaps one of the most emotive and passionate performers today
  • twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    This isn't the route to market for a Thom Yorke or Eddie Vedder, though. Guy Garvey is a bit different in that his popularity is based on one hugely overrated song. He probably sells most of his records in Tesco and could totally get away with coming from a talent show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twss wrote: »
    This isn't the route to market for a Thom Yorke or Eddie Vedder, though. Guy Garvey is a bit different in that his populsrity is based on one hugely overrated song.

I think Luke will stick with his acoustic rock style after the show which is marketable today but his style of performance will have elements of his musical heroes.

I do love his music taste though - it's refreshing to see someone so young have knowledge of the greats (he mentioned Eddie, Stevie Nicks, Jeff Buckley and Bowie all in one interview!)