Problem with Caller ID / phone line

Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not really sure if this belongs in landline or mobile forum as involves both, but here goes...

For the last few weeks, when my mum calls my landline, the caller ID says "OPERATOR" while the phone is ringing and then "UNAVAILABLE" in the phone's call log and answerphone. I thought it might be something wrong with my phone handset (quite a few years old), so I rang 1471 to check and the number is not available there either, so it's not registering on the BT line.

The landline caller ID works fine otherwise, for calls from other people. I even tried my mobile as it's on the Vodafone network, just like my mum's is.

If my mum rings my mobile, the caller ID works fine, so it's just her mobile to my landline, for all other scenarios it works fine.

No-one else has mentioned this problem to her when she's rang their landlines, but she's going to check with them, just in case.

Any idea what's wrong and how to fix? Not a major problem, but just curious as to why it's happening, especially since it seems to have started out of the blue, after years of no problems!

Comments

• Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This can happen if the call is routed via an indirect operator such as 18185. Calls can be routed out of the country and back in again, so the caller may hear a different ring tone and the CLI may be lost.

The caller could use the prefix 1470 to make sure the CLI is being sent. This code can be used on a per-call basis to release the CLI on lines where the CLI is normally withheld.

Does 1471 say 'The caller withheld their number' or 'We do not have the number to return the call' ? The former applies when the system does know the number, but the caller has asked that it should not be released to the called party. The latter applies when the CLI is not available, e.g. the call was delivered by an overseas network (although the call could have originated in the UK).
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply.

My mum isn't using a pre-fix or indirect operator and she makes all her phone calls in exactly the same way, and using the free minutes on her Vodafone contract.

The 1471 from my landline says they do not have the number, so the latter applies, but I still don't understand why it only happens from her mobile to my landline, but not any other way. :confused:

When ringing, my landline displays "unavailable" for (presumably? Just guessing here) unavailable UK numbers and "International" for unavailable overseas numbers, but from my mum's mobile it's "operator" which has never appeared for any other caller (and we know both someone with an automatically withheld landline number for business purposes, who comes up as "unavailable" and someone who uses 18185 whose number/name is displayed as normal).

So I'm still confused! Apologies if I've mis-understood your reply in any way though :)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-reading the OP again. Are you saying that you used to get CLI from your mum but that for whatever reason it has stopped working? Or that you have never had CLI from her?

And does she always call you from the same location or doesn't it matter where she is calling from?

If it has only stopped working recently and previously did and she only calls you from the same place each time then I wonder if it could be the cell tower her phone is using? maybe some glitch with that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Re-reading the OP again. Are you saying that you used to get CLI from your mum but that for whatever reason it has stopped working? Or that you have never had CLI from her?

And does she always call you from the same location or doesn't it matter where she is calling from?

If it has only stopped working recently and previously did and she only calls you from the same place each time then I wonder if it could be the cell tower her phone is using? maybe some glitch with that?

Yes, have always got CLI for years, it's only been the last few weeks that this has started happening.

I can't remember every time, so I'm not sure, but the majority of the time, at least, she would have called when out shopping, so roughly in the same area. However, she's also called me, from that same area, on my mobile and her number/name has displayed as normal. When it first happened, I didn't answer my landline when it said "operator", so my mum called my mobile straight away afterwards (so would've been in the exact same location) and her name/number displayed as normal.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, have always got CLI for years, it's only been the last few weeks that this has started happening.

I can't remember every time, so I'm not sure, but the majority of the time, at least, she would have called when out shopping, so roughly in the same area. However, she's also called me, from that same area, on my mobile and her number/name has displayed as normal. When it first happened, I didn't answer my landline when it said "operator", so my mum called my mobile straight away afterwards (so would've been in the exact same location) and her name/number displayed as normal.
    Mobile to landline requires going via an interface between Vodafone and BT. Mobile to Mobile stays within Vodafone. So it could be some oddity going on at that Vodafone/BT interface.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, definitely an oddity!

Mum said she rang a friend's landline while visiting them and had the same problem there. Although, her friend's landline shows "external" rather than "operator", but 1471 still says they do not have the number.

Curiously though, it transpires that her friend's phone displays "external" for every phone call she gets (her handset is the same as my Mum's). She had another call while my Mum was visiting and the 1471 said the number that called was 00000000000 (literally all 0s, I'm not using an example). Could have just been a one off, but I've no idea why all her calls come through as "external" - she is signed up for caller ID and has numbers/names saved in her directory.

I'm curious about both of their problems now!

Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mum called me from about 60 miles away today and her name/number displayed as normal, so it seems it was a local cell tower issue! I wonder now if other people in the area are having the same problem.....no one my mum knows is having trouble, Including a friend also on Vodafone, so I guess it's a true oddity and only affecting random people, or perhaps it's just my mum!
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does you mum live near the coast? If she does it is possible she is inadvertantly roaming onto a foreign network (france/belgum/netherlands on the East Coast, Ireland on the West Cost).

If that is not a possibility she needs to contact Vodafone.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    Does you mum live near the coast? If she does it is possible she is inadvertantly roaming onto a foreign network (france/belgum/netherlands on the East Coast, Ireland on the West Cost).

If that is not a possibility she needs to contact Vodafone.

Vodafone often changed to France when I had them being so close.