Options

Scot referendum used to chase 300 million quid from poll tax cheats

Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
oh dear. it looks like the scottish referendum on independence had an unexpected turn up. due to the record amount of people who registered to vote, councils are using this info to chase unpaid tax.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2774625/Huge-turnout-Scottish-referendum-used-chase-missing-300MILLION-poll-tax-cheats-registered-vote-time-two-decades.html

a case of unintended consequences?

Comments

• Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for many as debts are over 20 yrs old.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Not for many as debts are over 20 yrs old.

Unless effort has been made to reclaim the debt, in which case the clock is reset.

Glad this is happening, couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch the funny thing about the supposedly hated poll tax is that the Tories increased their vote share and seats in Scotland at the election immediately after it was introduces....
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear. it looks like the scottish referendum on independence had an unexpected turn up. due to the record amount of people who registered to vote, councils are using this info to chase unpaid tax.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2774625/Huge-turnout-Scottish-referendum-used-chase-missing-300MILLION-poll-tax-cheats-registered-vote-time-two-decades.html

a case of unintended consequences?

Excellent news. There is nothing worse than people not contributing their fair share to society.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Unless effort has been made to reclaim the debt, in which case the clock is reset.

Glad this is happening, couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch the funny thing about the supposedly hated poll tax is that the Tories increased their vote share and seats in Scotland at the election immediately after it was introduces....

i agree.

Aberdeen voted NO
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Sunshine on Leith.

(and across the Scottish region) :cool:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see.

As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I know who was working at a polling station with police at the door did suggest that they might have been keeping an eye out for people who had a warrant for their arrest. She spotted a few people covering their faces as they scurried past.:blush:

We decided it was probably unethical for them to be arrested on the way into vote, but fine to get them on the way out. :D
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating story. However, bear strongly in mind over this, that the council concerned is Aberdeen. This is the last Conservative stronghold in Scotland. It's possible the move will kill them off there as well as everywhere else.

It will most certainly demonstrate to every other place in Scotland exactly why they ditched the nasty *********** (imagine your own expletive).
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every cloud etc etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Fascinating story. However, bear strongly in mind over this, that the council concerned is Aberdeen. This is the last Conservative stronghold in Scotland. It's possible the move will kill them off there as well as everywhere else.

It will most certainly demonstrate to every other place in Scotland exactly why they ditched the nasty *********** (imagine your own expletive).

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Community Charge (a.k.a "Poll Tax" as I hear some people call it) and the way it was implemented, it's still right that everyone should be liable for taxes which are legally passed. The are lots of taxes I don't like paying and enjoy grumbling about but I don't cheat on them.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it about Glasgow and Dundee?
    these are the cities that were meant to change everything & a sizeable chunk of the Yes camp couldn't be arsed getting up to vote lol.
    In reply to ^above...
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    It is thought that many in the low socioeconomic demographics have never ever voted or may have wanted to avoid being on the electoral roll, for whatever reason...
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    Maybe they are keeping off the electoral roll because of (cue scary music) Thatcher and her poll tax :)
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    A lot of people did take themselves off the electoral roll to avoid the poll tax in the late 80s... There are still millions of £s outstanding in poll tax arrears... :blush:

Mystic Ovalteenie :cool:
    & alaninmcr :D
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »

Angus Council is another one that has confirmed it is going through the additions to the electoral roll to identify any understanding debtors.

What should that demonstrate to every other place in Scotland exactly?
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »

So the Scottish government want to make it illegal for councils to collect legally owed tax?

Bizarre.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what a man.

still looking out for the people of Scotland.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    what a man.

The people that didn't pay their poll tax!!! yeah what a man :o

When do i get my refund?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a man.

Yep. Can you imagine if Scottish Labour or Scottish Tories were in power - "London HQ, is it ok if we do this or that? Pretty please?"

"No, you're on a leash and you'll act in our Westminster interests..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people that didn't pay their poll tax!!! yeah what a man :o

When do i get my refund?

Do you remember the troubles? It doesn't need regurgitated.
    You have to get over your Salmond/SNP hate, they do a good job for Scotland with no overseers from London HQs pulling the party strings.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    Do you remember the troubles? It doesn't need regurgitated.
    You have to get over your Salmond/SNP hate, they do a good job for Scotland with no overseers from London HQs pulling the party strings.

I do remember the troubles, but the majority of people, including me, paid the tax due.

I'm sure Alex will be working on getting the majority of us a refund though ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Alex will be working on getting the majority of us a refund though ;-)

:D
    Those councils no doubt spent on something really worthwhile a long time ago... ;-)
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    So the Scottish government want to make it illegal for councils to collect legally owed tax?

Bizarre.

I'm not sure it was legal in its first year in Scotland, when it didn't apply to the rest of the UK. That breached the Act of Union, which states that Scotland will never be subject to a tax not common to the entire UK. The excuse of the government at the time was that the Community Charge was not a tax, but a means of financing local government, which is as ridiculous as saying that income tax isn't a tax but a means of financing central government.

It'll be interesting if someone in Scotland disputes paying by claiming the tax was illegal. They may even say its early introduction in Scotland made it illegal throughout its life.