Options

Kid spent £1,150 on MS points, Dad blames Microsoft

Comments

• Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Idiot dad can't believe he fell for it. Your warned several times your using real money, not buying for your achievements. He knew full well what he was doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - and if you look the statement shown is from November. Took him a jolly long time to look at it.

And then if you look he's overdrawn too.

Not to mention he isn't old enough to play COD.
  • Options
    unbiasedunbiased Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utter tosh
    dailly fail either payed the family
    or the dad is a mega naive soul to believe this pack of lies
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    apart from map packs and elite what else is there to buy for CoD? there isnt anything to improve characters.

also he shouldnt have been playing and cant believe the dad was that stupid not to notice what was going on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, most of it would have been the Fifa Ultimate Team packs.

Which is probably quite funny if his mates see this, because I bet you this kid was boasting to his mates about all the decent players he has got in his Ultimate Team, them not knowing of course that he spent £1k to get them.

Now they're going to know why. And know his Dad is a moron.

The funniest thing for me is the fact the kid is in a tie, which is clearly his Dad's and the Dad is tie-less.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the real headline should be "Irresponsible parent lets child play an adult rated game"

Trust the Dailyfail to turn this into another anti gaming article.
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    The funniest thing for me is the fact the kid is in a tie, which is clearly his Dad's and the Dad is tie-less.

Ha ha! You're right! I can imagine behind the scenes the DM reporter and photographer racking their brains trying to make the little scrote appear sweet and innocent. "I know ... put on your dad's tie ... great now sit in front of your Xbox holding a controller and look sad ... brilliant now dad hold up your statement and look outraged ... excellent!"
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Improve his characters.... yet in the second photo he is down one nil to Tottenham in the first minute! Maybe he should have spent £10,000 instead it seems.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kid knew exactly what he was doing. Although I do think the xbox holding all credit card details and it can be used again and again without verification is wrong,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kid knew exactly what he was doing. Although I do think the xbox holding all credit card details and it can be used again and again without verification is wrong,
    Yeah, PS3 is the same - doesn't even ask for the number on the back, which I thought was required for e-commerce - maybe the payments aren't processed in the UK and exempt or something.
  • Options
    OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm a crap dad, my son takes advantage of me, I blame a faceless corporation rather than myself and my spouse for letting our kid waste our money rather than myself for not stopping the charges after viewing my bank statements."

That's all that needed to be said. Unless Microsoft had them go on a course called "How to let your child recklessly spend your income online" I am quite sure they assume no liability for their own financial imprudence and inability to cancel charges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    How could someone spend that much on DLC for two games? COD doesn't have character upgrades and -unless I'm mistaken- no weapons to buy. Plus he shoouldn't been playing COD anyway. Microsoft are many things -not all of them good, but one thing they are not, is your babysitter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How could someone spend that much on DLC for two games? COD doesn't have character upgrades and -unless I'm mistaken- no weapons to buy. Plus he shoouldn't been playing COD anyway. Microsoft are many things -not all of them good, but one thing they are not, is your babysitter

Its the DM for all we know it never happened. It does not make sense. Just fact he checked nothing going out in the space of December and June is strange.

Now DLC is rip off yes, but I can't imagine that DLC would add up that much. XBLA games would yes. I've not got those games but how much would all DLC cost anyone ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Its the DM for all we know it never happened. It does not make sense. Just fact he checked nothing going out in the space of December and June is strange.

Now DLC is rip off yes, but I can't imagine that DLC would add up that much. XBLA games would yes. I've not got those games but how much would all DLC cost anyone ?
    Have you played FIFA?

It has a feature called Ultimate Team, basically you have to build a team and you can purchase players from an auction house for coins.

You earn those coins from playing games or selling your players.

You can buy packs to get players. Obviously you can buy as many of those as you like, so he could have spent a lot more!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that kids face has "i knew exactly what i was doing" all over his face. His father is an absolute idiot for believing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you played FIFA?

It has a feature called Ultimate Team, basically you have to build a team and you can purchase players from an auction house for coins.

You earn those coins from playing games or selling your players.

You can buy packs to get players. Obviously you can buy as many of those as you like, so he could have spent a lot more!

no don't play them at all any more. I could not imagine spending money such stupid things, What benfits would any of this offer, does it totally destroy skill level in the game ?
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its his dads own fault. He shouldnt of paid for it in the first place. Theirs a reason why your encouraged to buy cards.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see how easily this could happen, but parents need to be more aware of services they're entering there card details into.

That said, MS could do a little more to prevent these things from happening. Excessive use of a registered card should flag up on there system, just like unusual patterns of your own credit/debit card prompt your bank to check that its being used by the card owner.

This case highlights just how much a stolen card details could be used on a console, scary stuff.

Slapped wrist for daddy, slapped wrist for MS, imo.
  • Options
    N3dSt4rkN3dSt4rk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    This has happened before. Kids should not be allowed on consoles. I have a friend in work who wont buy 'Lollipop Chainsaw' for his kid but he lets him play MW3 and smack talk all night in multiplayer. I don't have kids so I guess it is hard for me to judge but he sai sex and violence, in video games are 2 different things when it comes to kids. Ok but I think a game like COD depicts a more realistic portrayal of violence than Lollipop Chainsaw does of sex. It seems to be the norm nowadays with 16 year old girls walking around with no clothes on and T shirts saying 'Cum Dumpster' on. I'd hate to have a daughter.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The dad is the biggest idiot out if he believes his son. It quite clearly states you are using your credit card and you have to verify that before a purchase. To point the finger at MS when he tied his own CC to an account and let his 12 year old kid loose on it he only has himself to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    N3dSt4rk wrote: »
    This has happened before. Kids should not be allowed on consoles. I have a friend in work who wont buy 'Lollipop Chainsaw' for his kid but he lets him play MW3 and smack talk all night in multiplayer. I don't have kids so I guess it is hard for me to judge but he sai sex and violence, in video games are 2 different things when it comes to kids. Ok but I think a game like COD depicts a more realistic portrayal of violence than Lollipop Chainsaw does of sex. It seems to be the norm nowadays with 16 year old girls walking around with no clothes on and T shirts saying 'Cum Dumpster' on. I'd hate to have a daughter.

I agree, it's just my opinion but I don't think kids should play online at all, unless of course it's a kid's game. It's really offputting to play online with kids about, I really hate it. I personally don't think COD MW is suitable for as 12 year old but everyone's different and I respect that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see how easily this could happen, but parents need to be more aware of services they're entering there card details into.

That said, MS could do a little more to prevent these things from happening. Excessive use of a registered card should flag up on there system, just like unusual patterns of your own credit/debit card prompt your bank to check that its being used by the card owner.

This case highlights just how much a stolen card details could be used on a console, scary stuff.

I disagree there is a information screen then verifying screen, this is the same many other services out there, and clearly states real money is being used.

With stolen card details, you could use them on millions services out there don't see how this case is any different.

It's not MS's job or any company to waste time on a system that could easily be solved with bit of common sense. A system that could also easily effect legit customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's the banks job to keep tabs on suspicious or unusual transaction patterns and they generally do a good job of that (at least Barclays does). MS is not to blame, they offer parental safety measures and it clearly states the amount of money that will be charged from your account and shows the account number before you verify it. It's out of their hands and is solely the responsibility of the parent.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The dad is an idiot IMO, if it states beforehand you are using a CC (and real money is used).
    He tied his own CC to an account so it is HIS fault (not to mention he let the kid play COD etc) not MS.
    Also the tie the kid has on is clearly his dad's :D
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That little boy is 12, he knew exactly what he was doing, and has spun his lie so well his father and now a newspaper have bought it!

Why would the father not check his own statements, they are referred to as cash strapped, yet they take money out using a credit card and DON'T check their monthly spending and outgoings?

No sympathy here. Kid knew what he was doing, parents fault for not paying attention.