Can Catholic schools check if your child has been christened?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a school in our street which we want to consider for my son but the problem is it's a Catholic school and our son isn't christened as were not religious. But it's a really good well run school with good standards and it's in an ideal location. I've got nothing against religion but chose not to have my son christened as I would prefer him to decide for himself when he's old enough to understand. Also because he's disabled with motorbility issues it would be better if he could go somewhere where he could walk to school when he's older.

I called up for an appointment today and they asked if 'we' were Catholic and I said no we are C of E which is what both me and my wife were christened even though I've given up believing in religion. They wont take kids who are not christened and I don't want to have it done just to get him into a school. Is there any way they can check if we told them he's C of E or do they just take your word for it?

I know this sounds hypocritical but the other school in our catchment area isn't as good and is a good mile walk from our house and I don't drive. I'm not bothered about him having a religious education as long as he's getting the best and at the end of the day hell make his own mind up when he's older as we don't practice faith at home. If we tell them he's not christened he wont stand a chance.

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but it is a Catholic school and they will not take your child unless he is baptised, preferably in the Catholic faith. Some do make some exceptions for CofE but a Catholic child will always take priority and that is as it should be.

My cousin is married to a Catholic who wanted her kids to attend the local Catholic school and they would not accept them unless they were baptised before hand, this was despite the fact that she is a Catholic, got married in a Catholic Church and actually attended the school herself.

And yes, they WILL check. If it you want your child to attend a church school then you should get them baptised.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that being catholic would be important. In a lot of catholic schools near us getting ready for the confession, confirmation and communion is a big thing for the children and the child would need to be christened for this.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if they can get proof directly but they might ask to see your sons christening certificate or ask you to provide proof that he has been christened.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Catholic schools all have to take a small percentage of non-Catholics though, to qualify for some State funds. Not sure if they'll consider non-baptised though. Best to ask and not try to deceive them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit that I wad under the impression that state funded faith schools were obliged to offer a number of places to non-faith children if they lived in the catchment area? My brother went to a catholic secondary school despite my family not being religious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I have to admit that I wad under the impression that state funded faith schools were obliged to offer a number of places to non-faith children if they lived in the catchment area? My brother went to a catholic secondary school despite my family not being religious.

Yes they are as I said above. Just a handful though.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Each school will have its own admissions policy and Faith Schools are no different. They will have a sliding scale criteria eg Baptised Catholic children in care top priority, Baptised Catholic non care second, non Catholic baptised in another faith in care third, not in care fourth and so on right down to non faith non care child outside catchment area. Basically, as soon as they reach capacity, they close their doors. If all places are used up by admitting the 1st and 2nd criteria then thats that!
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right I see. Well my son has a disability so I don't know if they'll consider that. I was just gonna say he's C of E like us but wasn't sure if they had a right to check. Data protection and all that.

If I say he's not christened I guarantee that will be bottom of the list as most children are and he wont stand a chance. I was wondering about getting him christened but it seems wrong seeing as were not religious. I have no issues with my son choosing a faith but prefer not to force one on him at this stage. Just because I was christened C of E doesn't mean he has to be. There's no way I could choose seeing as I don't really follow anything myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Right I see. Well my son has a disability so I don't know if they'll consider that. I was just gonna say he's C of E like us but wasn't sure if they had a right to check. Data protection and all that.

I'd be honest with them Wiz. The fact he's disabled may count in good stead as the school's near.

Why not ask to see the Head-teacher, though the final decision is made by the Governors I think.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be honest with them Wiz. The fact he's disabled may count in good stead as the school's near.

Why not ask to see the Head-teacher, though the final decision is made by the Governors I think.

I've made an appointment to see her next month for a look around. Not really sure what to say. If I ask about having him christened it will look like I'm only doing it to get him in at the school and not for the right reasons. Which of course is true but I can't see them taking that too well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I say he's not christened I guarantee that will be bottom of the list as most children are and he wont stand a chance. I was wondering about getting him christened but it seems wrong seeing as were not religious. I have no issues with my son choosing a faith but prefer not to force one on him at this stage. Just because I was christened C of E doesn't mean he has to be. There's no way I could choose seeing as I don't really follow anything myself.

You'll need to check the admissions policy! Vulnerable children may rank higher!
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Be honest. The alternative is to lie to them and then get your son to perpetuate the lie throughout his years at the school. What if they ask him about what religious stuff he does at home during one of his lessons? Is he supposed to maintain the lie?
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Our son wasn't christened and went to a C of E school and we were never asked. Don't know if Catholics are more strict though?

I'd have thought the fact that your son has a disability that effects his walk to school would normally put him at the top of most ranking criteria. There might be LEA rules that say that any school needs to accept him if its the closest/most convenient one. Worth checking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Our son wasn't christened and went to a C of E school and we were never asked. Don't know if Catholics are more strict though?

I'd have thought the fact that your son has a disability that effects his walk to school would normally put him at the top of most ranking criteria. There might be LEA rules that say that any school needs to accept him if its the closest/most convenient one. Worth checking.

Catholic schools do tend to be more strict on baptism. C of E schools, if they are vastly subscribed and are popular tend to make their faith policy a lot stricter. We have a very popular one near us and you must show continued church attendance over a number of years with no breaks, even if you go on holiday you are expected to attend church and provide proof. Not sure how that is enforced exactly but there you go!
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I cant understand the logic in not wanting to get him christened as you are not religious to do so would be hypocritical so I agree with this
    But then sending him to a religious school where the catholic faith will be all around him and he will learn more and follow the teachings there that will be part of the day to day school, but not be religious, and to consider lying about him being christened to do so.
    That is hypocritical, it makes no sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant understand the logic in not wanting to get him christened as you are not religious to do so would be hypocritical so I agree with this
    But then sending him to a religious school where the catholic faith will be all around him and he will learn more and follow the teachings there that will be part of the day to day school, but not be religious, and to consider lying about him being christened to do so.

They don't only teach religion though! They may simply have a great ofsted report and be very popular. Its not about lying about whether you are religious or not, its about lying to get your child into a school that offers the best education possible. Makes perfect sense to me, but yes hypocritical but who cares about hypocricy when vying for a place in a good school, people lie about stuff all the time for this reason, lying about religion makes no difference!
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made an appointment to see her next month for a look around. Not really sure what to say. If I ask about having him christened it will look like I'm only doing it to get him in at the school and not for the right reasons. Which of course is true but I can't see them taking that too well.

How bad is this other school then? Not sure I'd like a child of mine going to a catholic school really, even if it was better. I was going to say a mile isn't very far, but then I forgot that your son might struggle with a long walk.

I think his disability would make them more likely to take him. But don't lie.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catholic Schools are mainly Voluntary Aided and set their own admissions policies. So have a look on their website (or the website of your local education authority) to see what the oversubscription criteria are. The local authorities admissions guide will also tell you whether the school has been fully subscribed in the past.

Some schools will give priority on social or medical grounds - others don't. You may need a doctor or social workers letter to make your case. All schools must give priority to children with a Statement of Educational Needs if the school is named in the statement.

If the school isn't full they will have to take any child from the local area even if not Catholic or religious.

CE schools are different - many of them are Voluntary Controlled and their admissions policies are set the the local council and don't have religious criteria. Others are VA and do have religious criteria. Those schools may ask to see baptismal certificates.

Also, even if you apply and find that you don't get a place it is well worth appealing because around 20% of appeals are successful and there are clearly individual circumstances including your child's disability which mean you have good reasons for not wanting to send him to the 'normal' area school.

Happy to answer any other questions - I work in this area of education.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    They don't only teach religion though! They may simply have a great ofsted report and be very popular. Its not about lying about whether you are religious or not, its about lying to get your child into a school that offers the best education possible. Makes perfect sense to me, but yes hypocritical but who cares about hypocricy when vying for a place in a good school, people lie about stuff all the time for this reason, lying about religion makes no difference!

Not exactly the sort of role model to set for your child though is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True. It makes no sense that some parents feel they have to lie to get their children into their local school that their taxes go towards funding.

I might be in a similar situation in a few years time as the 2 closest primary schools are faith schools and the nearest non-faith school is a 40 minute walk away.

If someone lives in the catchment area of a state-funded school and are OK with the ethos of that school then they should have the right to send their kid to it. Seems a bit rich to rely on state funding and then exclude the majority of children from attending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. It makes no sense that some parents feel they have to lie to get their children into their local school that their taxes go towards funding.

I might be in a similar situation in a few years time as the 2 closest primary schools are faith schools and the nearest non-faith school is a 40 minute walk away.

If someone lives in the catchment area of a state-funded school and are OK with the ethos of that school then they should have the right to send their kid to it. Seems a bit rich to rely on state funding and then exclude the majority of children from attending.

I agree - personally I'd get rid of all faith admissions criteria. If the church wants to run schools let it do it for all comers not just those in their own little club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly the sort of role model to set for your child though is it?

Maybe not, but such is life!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

Religion plays a far bigger part at Catholic school. I briefly volunteered at one and religious lessons are longer and more In depth. They had a religious assembly every day where they sang hymns and said prayers, they said grace before lunch and then crossed themselves and they said a prayer at home time as well. There were religious icons everywhere in the school and the church was heavily involved with the older kids getting confirmed(this was a huge thing).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - personally I'd get rid of all faith admissions criteria. If the church wants to run schools let it do it for all comers not just those in their own little club.

I've never agreed with faith admissions but I suppose it comes down to providing choice for parents, particularly those who have a faith. Equally, is it right that you should force someone to send their child to a non religious school if that is not what they want! I'm not arguing either way, just posing the question!
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Have you tried Hogwarts?