Options

Heart and the Continuing Hacking of Songs (merged)

Comments

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Been off the forums for a week or so, and Spotify is STILL banging on about cutting the ends of songs!

Seriously, get a life mate. It happens, nothing is going to change. Save yourself the stress and move on.

I thought you were happy with Capital anyway? Although thinking they don't also chop up songs is delusional!
  • Options
    spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Goldenage wrote: »
    Been off the forums for a week or so, and Spotify is STILL banging on about cutting the ends of songs!

Seriously, get a life mate. It happens, nothing is going to change. Save yourself the stress and move on.

I thought you were happy with Capital anyway? Although thinking they don't also chop up songs is delusional!

No it isn't. They may do a few edits to some songs (not all songs) but at least they don't fade off songs 3/4 of the way through a song, or crash the vocals in the song. At least Capital wait until the lyrics have been finished. Yes it's not ideal when they [sometimes] chop off the occasional intro or outro, but it's definitely not regular, nor is it as often as HEART.
    Plus at least Capital play more newer music than Heart - Heart just playing song that have already been overplayed on radio before, or on half decent songs (like Starship - We Built This City) they hack the endings off BIG STYLE.

And when I start going to University I will be in a Capital FM area. Hoorah! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Do you know something. I started this thread about one particular song which is chopped off badly.

I didn't expect DM's from spotify95 about every segue Heart fires off!

I actually don't see a problem with the Commundards song in question.

Well, I must admit, the last Communards play was almost at the end of the song. So maybe I shouldn't have posted the last segue.

I'm selecting songs that I have heard previously, that have had a hacking, and am listening for them on heart, and then recording them - there's millions of segues out there. So I'm not recording every segue. But I am being annoyed at a segue crashing lyrics in a song (or a chorus), and that's what my recordings are about.
    My big hits on Heart are:
    1) Starship - We Built This City
    2) Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
    3) Starship - Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now
    4) T'Pau - China In Your Hands
    5) Daft Punk - Get Lucky

And I still cannot believe they haven't sorted the segue markers out for Starship and Jermaine Stewart; they wreck the vocals in the song....

It's always good idea to expect the unexpected, Mike :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Genesys wrote: »
    Can someone at Heart look up when Starship is next scheduled for.... Then at least I know when to expect him to start up again!!

Please do Genesys! That'll stop my waiting game! :)
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spotify95 wrote: »
    And I still cannot believe they haven't sorted the segue markers out for Starship and Jermaine Stewart
    You expect Heart to sort out their segues, and get frustrated that they haven't. Yet you get told repeatedly on here that they don't have "segue markers", yet still keep going on about getting them fixed even though they don't exist. That is equally frustrating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I still cannot believe they haven't sorted the segue markers out for Starship and Jermaine Stewart; they wreck the vocals in the song...
    Are you deliberately ignoring those in this thread who have told you authoritatively and repeatedly that Heart does not use segue markers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Are you deliberately ignoring those in this thread who have told you authoritatively and repeatedly that Heart does not use segue markers?

Ok, I'll do a bit of clarification here:
    If backtiming has been screwed up one can tighten up their segs on the fly to make up the time. You can then 'save' that segue and allow the playout system to play it out as you have set it which overrides the already set NTP marker. That's what I meant by 'manual fire'.
    So basically what SP is saying is that if backtiming has been screwed up the presenter can shorten the song if needed. But why would SP talk about "already set NTP markers" if they weren't there? NTP markers are the same as end segue markers, so obviously they do exist on the Heart system!
    Either that or Sp made a mistake there - which I highly doubt, as SP has been the best source of information for anything Heart related.

QED
  • Options
    GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Right here it is for the final time.

1) the songs have markers on them so the countdowns on mastercontrol that the presenter see's countsdown to the preferred transition time.

2) only in automation which I believe Heart don't do any more as a tech op is present would the markers actually be used in the way you describe.

3) at ALL other times the presenter / tech op fires the production of Genesys which is split london / network / tv and the songs roll from one fader to the other underneath the production on master control.

So the markers are on the songs - its a play out system of course markers are present they need to be there to make the whole thing work however they are NOT used in the way you seem to think.

I hope this is clear enough for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right here it is for the final time.

1) the songs have markers on them so the countdowns on mastercontrol that the presenter see's countsdown to the preferred transition time.

2) only in automation which I believe Heart don't do any more as a tech op is present would the markers actually be used in the way you describe.

3) at ALL other times the presenter / tech op fires the production of Genesys which is split london / network / tv and the songs roll from one fader to the other underneath the production on master control.

So the markers are on the songs - its a play out system of course markers are present they need to be there to make the whole thing work however they are NOT used in the way you seem to think.

I hope this is clear enough for you.

Okay, thank you for the information Genesys. That has made it much clearer for me to understand how the segues are fired. So basically the markers are there to allow the tech op to know when to use Master Control to fire the segue.
    Now I know how and why it's manually segued all of the time.

If I do hear any more segues (and chances are I'll concentrate more on other methods of listening to music) then I guess it's the presenter or tech op's fault :D

So, I apologise to you for:
    a) doubting the information about how the segues are fired
    b) ignoring the posts about the tech ops instead of segue markers.
    Spotify95 :)
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldenage wrote: »

What's more scary is that he's sitting there with his phone and pressing record while every song on Heart is playing just in case it's an early seque. For every recording he posts here he must have 500 he doesn't post!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's more scary is that he's sitting there with his phone and pressing record while every song on Heart is playing just in case it's an early seque. For every recording he posts here he must have 500 he doesn't post!!

No it's not every segue just a few from select songs that I know they like to hack off the endings. Mostly Starship, Jermaine Stewart and Daft Punk.
    if recordings are not needed I delete them. Only about half of the files I actually recorded have made it to Mixcloud.

But in a few days I'll be off to university, which (being in Leicester) makes it in Capital FM area :)
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not every segue just a few from select songs that I know they like to hack off the endings. Mostly Starship, Jermaine Stewart and Daft Punk.
    if recordings are not needed I delete them. Only about half of the files I actually recorded have made it to Mixcloud.

But in a few days I'll be off to university, which (being in Leicester) makes it in Capital FM area :)

It'll just be seques from Gem 106 next then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It'll just be seques from Gem 106 next then!

I don't listen to GEM 106, and don't intend to when there's a Capital nearby. After all Gem will play the same stuff as the repetitive Heart, so that's out of the question.
  • Options
    GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Then may I suggest you treat Heart as you intend to treat Gem and stop listening.

It will not change because you think the songs mix out early.

So please - let this end tonight.

No more TROLLING, no more silly recordings and no more nit-picky replies from you Spotify95.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Genesys....

There is just one problem here.
    Then may I suggest you treat Heart as you intend to treat Gem and stop listening.

It's not a case of "intend to treat Gem" at all - because I haven't even listened to Gem for over 3 months. Chances are their segues will be like those of Heart. But I don't know or care about them, and never will. This being because their output will be similar to Hearts, which isn't ideal for me when there is Capital in the same area. Capital will have a much higher priority for me.

As for this bit:
    It will not change because you think the songs mix out early.

I'm well aware of how and when segues are fired, and thanks to yourself I now understand how the segues are fired. I've realised myself that Heart are running things how they feel is best - which is not up to my standards, so chances are I'll be best off not listening.

The next bit:
    So please - let this end tonight.

Depends on if I end up listening to Heart in the future, and how the responses are on the forums. I'll reply if I believe there is a need to, or if there is something that I need to inform you of. Otherwise I'll leave the thread be.

Finally:
    No more TROLLING, no more silly recordings and no more nit-picky replies from you Spotify95.
    This is the bit I'm most angry/annoyed at. Not to do with Heart, but this reply.
    I've already apologised to you earlier down the thread, about the segues on Heart, and not listening to some of your posts. Then I get called a troll (which has happened before), get told not to record any more segues, or "nit-picky replies".
    I have discussed this matter with other people that I know, as well as some friends on the Chatter forums. None of them have said I'm a troll. Only the people who disagree with what I'm talking about have called me a troll - so clearly I'm not a troll. Especially seeing as I'm making on-topic posts.
    In terms of no more recordings.... Depends on if they are warranted or not. If I happen to hear a song on Heart that has had a reputation for being hacked off all the time (in particular Starship) then there's no reason why I shouldn't put the recording onto the forum.
    And nit picky replies? Does that mean you're trying to exclude me from the whole thread?!
    I find this insulting, and I (just like everyone else to that matter) have every right to post on a thread, so long as the post is on topic and adds to the discussion. Which virtually all of my posts do - and they don't bash other posters either.
    It seems as this thread has turned into a "Spotify95 bashing thread", in which every time I make a valid comment I get bashed by at least one poster.

So I'll make it better by only posting and commenting on a segue if I really need to, and it is substantially early. And so you can't accuse me of Heart-bashing, I'll also compare segues to other radio stations when needed.

And if you disagree on some of my recordings of segues, that they're not too early then where would you segue the song? It'll be interesting to have other opinions on where they should be.

Until the next time I hear a segue that has caught my attention (and that shouldn't be for a while), then goodbye.
  • Options
    wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spotify95, I think the point that your fellow posters are trying to make is , that there is no objective or achievable resolution to posting more 'errors' by Heart.

You've raised the issue here, some agree, some don't. It's had a good debate.
    You've raised the issue to Heart directly, they don't agree they are doing anything 'wrong'

Therefore, this topic and conversation can't go anywhere, or progress. Heart are not going to change their policy, and no matter how many posts we get here, we're not going to change that.

I think it's going to have to be classed as a 'problem' that we can't resolve here on the forums, and the only solution would be to listen to another radio station that doesn't have this policy/operation.

Unfortunately I don't foresee this topic being able to progress anywhere else, other than to fade into arguments, cross words, and other frowned upon internet protocol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wilts_ian wrote: »
    spotify95, I think the point that your fellow posters are trying to make is , that there is no objective or achievable resolution to posting more 'errors' by Heart.

You've raised the issue here, some agree, some don't. It's had a good debate.
    You've raised the issue to Heart directly, they don't agree they are doing anything 'wrong'

Therefore, this topic and conversation can't go anywhere, or progress. Heart are not going to change their policy, and no matter how many posts we get here, we're not going to change that.

I think it's going to have to be classed as a 'problem' that we can't resolve here on the forums, and the only solution would be to listen to another radio station that doesn't have this policy/operation.

Unfortunately I don't foresee this topic being able to progress anywhere else, other than to fade into arguments, cross words, and other frowned upon internet protocol.

Thank you for the information. Some other people, including friends of mine that are not on the forums, have said that Heart won't change anything. And I think I'll think back on Georgemichael's wise words - this is a battle that I cannot win. And Heart replying, saying they do nothing wrong must have been the big reason to say "with that, Heart won't change, so basically it doesn't matter how many recording I post, nothing will happen".

Yes I agree here, the only thing I can do is start listening to Capital daily on my commute to University. At home, Capital is fairly weak, thus why I usually have to use Heart.

Moral of the story? Heart won't do anything, so I may as well stop listening, and listen to something that I will enjoy listening to. I think that I will have to admit defeat with this Heart issue.

Like you said wilts_ian, If I continue it'll probably lead to more battles between posters (including with Genesys...), arguments and one or more of us will probably be banned by DS Moderators. So I might as well stop before it gets that far; I value my DS account too much!

Have a great day :)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted this thread, isn't Heart for people who hate music but are afraid of silence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Just spotted this thread, isn't Heart for people who hate music but are afraid of silence?

Possibly :D

Heart is also for people who want to hear 3/4 of songs :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I happen to hear a song on Heart that has had a reputation for being hacked off all the time (in particular Starship) then there's no reason why I shouldn't put the recording onto the forum.
    But you've already done this and you've made your point. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing to post examples of segues that you consider to be too early, particularly if it's just the same song over and over again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please someone close this thread
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Please someone close this thread

I asked that to happen yesterday and received a warning for my troubles:D

I note that many posts were deleted and Genesys has received another ban due to this thread.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I asked that to happen yesterday and received a warning for my troubles:D

I note that many posts were deleted and Genesys has received another ban due to this thread.

That is madness. The bedate here peaked around page 2 but yet the mods still allow this wind up merchant to continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is not a song that I have usually commented on:

OutKast - Hey Ya!

Thought it was segued a little bit early:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-segue-on-outkast/

What do you guys think? I won't be drumming the segues into people, like I have done in the past, but this one (I feel) needed picking up on.

I know that Heart won't do anything about it - I just wanted your opinions on it.

Kind Regards
    Spotify95 :)
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously?

It's fine, next.
This discussion has been closed.