post-natal depression

missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an 18 week old son and as hard as I have tried to fight it, I think I have pnd

I can hardly bear to look at him atm and my husband is no use. My mother in law is beyond overbearing and my own family are miles away.

I feel so trapped and wish I'd never had him.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admitting that there is a problem is often the hardest step. I don't have PND but I have suffered with PTSD & depression for years.

Would you feel comfortable approaching your GP?
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to have to go on antidepressants but the thoughts of looking after this baby while they take effect fills me with dread. I would never harm him but I just cannot be bothered with him at all.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk to your health visitor, your GP, your partner, your parents, ask for help and do it now. Let people know you're struggling, maybe they haven't noticed how badly you're affected. For your baby's sake, get help, medication, counselling, whatever it takes.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Talk to your health visitor, your GP, your partner, your parents, ask for help and do it now. Let people know you're struggling, maybe they haven't noticed how badly you're affected. For your baby's sake, get help, medication, counselling, whatever it takes.

All this. Believe me you can and will come out the other side. Good luck.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    missloo wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to go on antidepressants but the thoughts of looking after this baby while they take effect fills me with dread. I would never harm him but I just cannot be bothered with him at all.

Please go and see the GP about this to get that help that you need and please ask what there is in terms of local help such as health visitors and patient support groups. It's not uncommon and very many women recover with the right assistance. I have provided some links below and I do hope that things work out for you and your family. :)

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/postnataldepression/pages/introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Postnataldepression/Pages/Treatment.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Postnataldepression/Pages/Realstories2page.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also you could try and get some child Care help and if you do think that you might try and do something to yourself or you child then please find a neighbour or friend that you could leave the baby with as a last resort. But your doctor needs to know asap. Do not be fobbed off.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is taking today off as I just can't cope with the baby. I've suffered with depression before and would have been on then sooner but my husband and mil who is a health visitor wouldn't let me as they thought I was doing so well. I don't think medication will help the fact that I've made a huge mistake in having a baby though. That's a consequence I'll have to live with for the rest of my life because it can't be undone now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is taking today off as I just can't cope with the baby. I've suffered with depression before and would have been on then sooner but my husband and mil who is a health visitor wouldn't let me as they thought I was doing so well. I don't think medication will help the fact that I've made a huge mistake in having a baby though. That's a consequence I'll have to live with for the rest of my life because it can't be undone now.

This is all part of PND and once you get the help you need you wont feel this way.

Not every mother has an instant love for their newborns, sometimes it can take a while to bond.

Ring your GP, Health Visitor or even the midwife, they can all offer you valuable advice, there is support out there.

So get on the phone today and start getting the help and support you need. Good luck :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would strongly suggest that you get yourself down to your GP and try in set into action some kind of therapy.

The bit in bold says to me that you have suffered from depression before and managed to get yourself to a point where you had control. This isn't that much difference, you can get control of these thoughts and emotions as well.

You may feel like there is no hope, that having a baby is the biggest mistake in the world, that you are a terrible mother but the reality is never quite how we perceive when we are stuck in the black cloud which medical professionals call depression.

It's only when we manage to fight our way through the cloud that we begin to realise that actually things might not be brilliant but they are not hopeless and that we can get control back.

One of the hardest things that I have had to accept and ackowledge is just because I am doing ok now doesn't mean that I may not go back again at some point in the future. The thought that this could be a life long fight terrifies me.

My therapist and I are currently working on recognising signs and triggers so that if I do feel that I am going backwards I can try to get in there before I hit rock bottom.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PND is very under diagnosed and and the seriousness is completely underestimated. I suffered from it after my third child and my sympathy goes to you and what you are going through. My advice is to seek help ASAP. Often your health visitor is a good call as they see it so often and are prepared to spend time talking about your problems. Medication is the usual treatment tho in my case I spent time going to see a psychiatrist. It was that bad. What helped me was having the very good fortune of a great mum who came to live with me for a while, looked after the children and I went to college . It broke the spiral and I made a complete recovery.
    I think medical intervention is urgent and essential. Wishing you best wishes and a speedy recovery.
  • emz15emz15 Posts: 31,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak to your health visitor thry will provide you with support. Speak to your family they can help you even if they live far from you
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emz15 wrote: »
    Speak to your health visitor thry will provide you with support. Speak to your family they can help you even if they live far from you

I would echo this post completely. Health visitors can be a tower of strength at a time like this and obviously your family will give you support even if its from afar. I think the fact that you recognise something is wrong is a good sign and speaking to your health visitor or GP privately on your own will be helpful, I know your husband and MIL mean well and are trying to be encouraging and upbeat but only you know how you feel. Good luck, keep us posted ((((((((((hugs)))))))) :)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acknowledging you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it. I can only reiterate what others here have said - please talk to your gp or HV about it. They have heard it all before so don't feel ashamed or think they will see you as a 'bad mother'. Hiding it will not do you, your relationship or your child any good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I waited a long time before seeking help with PND as I felt so guilty that I did not love my baby. I didn't want harm coming to her but I hoped she would be 'kidnapped' by a family who couldn't have children and would love her. I couldn't understand why I didn't feel the instant bond and love that it is portrayed you should have for your baby. It was about 5 months before I confessed to my new health visitor. She was absolutely fantastic and got me straight into see a doctor that day. I was then referred immediately referred to a CPN who diagnosed me with PND and post traumatic stress (I had a very difficult birth where I nearly died). I was prescribed anti-depressants and had several months of counselling. It took a couple of months until I started feeling better. I urge you to seek help ASAP as now, 10 years later, I do not have a fantastic bond with my daughter and am convinced that this is because of our poor relationship at the beginning and that I waited so long to get help. This breaks my heart. Please speak to someone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    You won't always feel this way I promise. But you must speak with your doctor ASAP. Xx
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I echo all the advice and kind words OP, you will look back at this and realise its the PND talking in relation to the doubts you have about loving your baby. You will come out of this the overside, your husband and MIL will support you.
    Good luck x and look after yourself, you are very important to your family and baby.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really feel for you here, missloo. I can't really add anything here except reinforce what others have said regarding talking to someone about it. Bottling up these feelings won't help.
    My wife suffered from PND too and she now says that she started to overcome it when she started admitting to me - and others - how she felt.
    Have you tried speaking to your husband?
    You definitely need to speak to your health visitor or GP. Don't suffer this alone.
    Things will get better for you.
    Take care.