Options

Ten serious fallings out amongst TV actors

Comments

• Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is harking back to the 70's but apparently Danny Bonaduce and Susan Dey (LA Law) could not stand each other in The Partridge Family. He even commented in an interview a few years back when he was asked about her success as Grace van Owen in LA Law that she had more or less slept her way up to such a starring role.

Speaking of Wayne Rogers; I recall a show he starred in after his MASH days back in the 80's named House Calls, his costar was Lynne Redgrave and the two did not get along after she wanted equal billing and pay to him. Seems he was cursed in a way so far as being the star was concerned. Lynne then had a baby and wanted to feed her on set instead of leaving the baby with a carer and that caused all manner of upset with cast and producers back then. How times have changed.

If anyone is old enough to remember I Love Lucy then they might know that Vivian Vance and William Frawley (the Mertz's) loathed each other off set.
  • Options
    NickVaughanNickVaughan Posts: 4,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it's aired on TV and it's stars are playing characters, I'm sure WWE will count.

Hulk Hogan vs Most other wrestlers at the time he was in his prime- An ego bigger than his pythons according to most sources. Heck, it's evident from his appearance at WrestleMania 9 alone. He didn't really have to be there at all and should have let Bret Hart have the title instead of literally barging in and beating Yokozuna himself.

Can't really remember what Hart's feelings on it are though, must read his book again.

Tom Billington A.K.A The Dynamite Kid was also an unpleasant chap behind the scenes too so I believe, very volatile and aggressive.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Also, Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis fell out after The Expendables.

IMO Stallone and Willis are to acting what Gary Glitter is to baby-sitting.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost nobody seems to like Val Kilmer- he seems to have a rep as the Guy
    Nobody Wants To Work With.

I once got into conversation with an American woman who worked in some capacity in show business in Hollywood, while we were waiting for a delayed flight in Phoenix Arizona.
    She told me that Kilmer was regarded in Hollywood as one of the biggest w**kers of all time.
    I have no idea if this was true, but she sounded very earnest.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    About the only thing people remember 1994's "I Love Trouble" for is the fact that
    Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte grew to hate each other during the filming.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-03/entertainment/ca-11438_1_nick-nolte
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    About the only thing people remember 1994's "I Love Trouble" for is the fact that

Reminds me that Sean Young fell out with some of her co-stars IIRC - was it Kevin Costner in 'No Way Out'?
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me that Sean Young fell out with some of her co-stars IIRC - was it Kevin Costner in 'No Way Out'?

Her big falling out was with James Woods.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Mike and Bernie Winters.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    There's a bit more to Doohan's resentment than that though... the original idea was that the Scotty character would be best friends with teh Kirk character but Shatner / Nimoy / Roddenberry decided the friendship with Spock played better. I agree with them but I can understand why Doohan's nose was out of joint because the role was probably sold to him on the basis it would be a bigger part.

Yes, but that doesn't justify all that bitterness. Doohan was just a supporting player. Poor Shatner keeps apologising to all of them and it's really over the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker is on record as having behaved atrociously towards some of his co-stars on Doctor Who. Him and one of his companions, who later became his wife, Lalla Ward, had such a rocky relationship that they were divorced after just over a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I heard that Warren Mitchell and Tony Booth on Till Death us Do Part had a bit of a frosty relationship, even though the two men were very similar in many respects.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I think I read somewhere that Kenneth Williams didn't like Charles Hawtrey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michael Caine and Ian Hendry didn't get on when making "Get Carter" - having come from much the same background, Hendry resented Caine's success while he himself was stuck doing television and 'bit' parts.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that Kenneth Williams didn't like Charles Hawtrey

Kenneth Williams frequently didn't like Kenneth Williams - try reading his diaries.

Hawtrey was a very unfortunate and difficult man by all accounts - see e.g. http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/169058/Charles-Hawtrey-The-Carry-On-clown-who-hated-everyone
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenneth Williams frequently didn't like Kenneth Williams - try reading his diaries.

Hawtrey was a very unfortunate and difficult man by all accounts - see e.g. http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/169058/Charles-Hawtrey-The-Carry-On-clown-who-hated-everyone

The Carry On Team were an odd lot weren't they?

Loving this thread.

I'm a big Golden Girls fan and was really disappointed to learn that Beatrice Arthur didn't rate any of her co-stars. She used to get really annoyed with Estelle Getty who suffered with chronic stage fright and frequently forgot her lines (due to early onset dementia) and she didn't like Betty White at all, although no real reason was ever offered. (Thanks to other posters who've documented this).

She didn't like Leslie Nielsen whom she had great on screen chemistry with in the final 2 episodes. I suppose it proved what a great actress she was that she could make these warm, friendly relationships seem believable.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Caine and Ian Hendry didn't get on when making "Get Carter" - having come from much the same background, Hendry resented Caine's success while he himself was stuck doing television and 'bit' parts.

Wasn't Hendry another one with a drink problem?
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Wasn't Hendry another one with a drink problem?

I think you're right.

Re George Peppard. I have a friend who is a jobbing actor and he worked with him about 25 years ago. Said he was an arrogant tosser and very rude to the entire cast of the West End production they were in at the time.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Not really a falling out, but Jason and Lyndhurst were initially childishly mean to Buster Merrryfield when he took over as the old git foil on OFAH . Ignoring him off the set and bad mouthing him in earshot.
    I went off both of them tossers when I heard that.

Where did you hear that from? According to this interview with Buster Merryfield David Jason helped him out when he fluffed his lines in front of the live audience when he was first in the show. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-buster-merryfield-1102024.html
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Random aside, Nigel Havers was co-starring with Nolte in a film, years ago.
    When Nolte found out Havers didn't have an entourage in tow, he offered to lend him 'one of his people' :)
    I think that was during Nolte's drinking years.
    IIRC the film went down with all hands too.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Emily Lloyd and Woody Allen, Bruce Willis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just remembered another famous one - Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles, during Ryan's Daughter
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost nobody seems to like Val Kilmer- he seems to have a rep as the Guy
    Nobody Wants To Work With.

He was notoriously difficult on the set of 'Island Of Dr Moreau', the making of that film is legendary.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    Didn't the one who plays Kat Slater on Eastenders fall out with a lot of the cast when she was first on the show?

IIRC she gave Hannah Waterman a black eye off set - which meant reshoots and rescheduling for the producers - which costs time and money - so she got suspended.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member

One of the best put downs EVER was on Aspel (or another UK chat show like Wogan)
    Sean Young was going on about the movies she had made, name dropping all over the place, then Patricial Routledge came on as top billing - which clearly had not gone down well with La Young - and she kept interrupting.
    Routledge just said sweetly...." and then I got invited over to America to play the part on Broadway, and do you know they gave me the Tony award for that, which was so nice......(Turning to Young).... have you got a Tony award darling, they do look so lovely on the mantelpiece don't they ?"
    Tom Baker is on record as having behaved atrociously towards some of his co-stars on Doctor Who. Him and one of his companions, who later became his wife, Lalla Ward, had such a rocky relationship that they were divorced after just over a year.
    I went to a Dr Who event at Longleat some years ago, and Jon Pertwee (not long before he died) was telling everyone that Tom Baker was seriously loopy and actually believed he WAS the Doctor.
    Therefore he refused to appear with any other actor who had played the doctor who came after him - as they could not be the Dr - as he thought he was.
    Note in the 50th anniversary he was billed as "The Caretaker".
    I believe TB has relaxed his attitude recently - he probably needs the money from Conventions etc.
    Although Peter Davison talking about his spoof show for the 50th, said that everyone he called from Dr Who took his call - except one person !!!
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I went to a Dr Who event at Longleat some years ago, and Jon Pertwee (not long before he died) was telling everyone that Tom Baker was seriously loopy and actually believed he WAS the Doctor.
    Therefore he refused to appear with any other actor who had played the doctor who came after him - as they could not be the Dr - as he thought he was.
    Note in the 50th anniversary he was billed as "The Caretaker".
    I believe TB has relaxed his attitude recently - he probably needs the money from Conventions etc.

A slightly unfair summing up of the situation. Apart from the fact that Mr Pertwee never let the truth get in the way of a good anecdote, he himself was certainly renowned for being very precious about his own star status and by many accounts felt very intimidated when he first had to share the screen with another Doctor, Patrick Troughton for The Three Doctors 10th Anniversary special.

When The 20th Anniversary Special, came around Tom Baker had only been out of the role for 2 years, having given it up after 7 years in the role. In those circumstances it's not hard to see why Tom would be reticent to return to a part he had so recently left and found so hard to give up.

Plus I don't think Tom needs the money from conventions at all. I think his long TV career, numerous royalty cheques from Doctor Who reruns and DVDs plus his long-standing lucrative Voice Over work has put him in a very comfortable position financially.

Finally, Tom's character in the 50th Anniversary special was called 'The Curator'.