BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    It's a bit of a shame that only highlights are on iPlayer as opposed to full sets. the full sets would have been good...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007r6vx

Plenty of full sets on there.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anything of Nina Nesbitt's set yesterday been shown at all, anyone know?
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Tom Meighan has been raiding Bryan Ferry's wardrobe!

:)
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnakeGuy wrote: »
    Metallica have very little variation in their music ??
    That's the opposite view of illustrious classical conductor Michael Kamen who said their song structures were absolutley incredible and he couldn't believe that James Hetfield was a self tought had had no musical training whatsoever.

Cannot ignore a professional conductor's opinion but in defence, you know as well as me that metal music is generally criticised for being very formulaic and Metallica are very much within the Metal genre.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm disliking the lead singer from Kasabian.

The guy is a charisma vacuum.
  • SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Just love London Grammar, amazingly haunting melodies and the girl not only has a stunning voice she is absolutley gorgious looking,
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look I like Metallica as such, but sorry, with all due respect most of their their songs like most metal bands are just onslaughts of thrash distorted power chords with a big wanky solo at the end. The solo's are technically the best part of the songs and Kirk Hammett is some guitar player. But they are not the Beatles and clearly do not have a massive cannon of varied hits in different styles of music that's everybody knows and can sing along to.

Although it was indeed great to have them at Glasto I am getting a bit fed up of their fans going on like they were 500million times better than everyone else and slagging off everyone else now. I would say I had a better time watching Kasabian just now. Sorry.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look I like Metallica as such, but sorry, with all due respect most of their their songs like most metal bands are just onslaughts of thrash distorted power chords with a big wanky solo at the end. The solo's are technically the best part of the songs and Kirk Hammett is some guitar player. But they are not the Beatles and clearly do not have a massive cannon of varied hits in different styles of music that's everybody knows and can sing along to.

Although it was indeed great to have them at Glasto I am getting a bit fed up of their fans going on like they were 500million times better than everyone else and slagging off everyone else now. I would say I had a better time watching Kasabian just now. Sorry.

Sorry but I agree as well. The argument about them being very popular and having sold lots of records is not evidence of their music having any particular merit. Whenever people use evidence of sales as greatness I always refer to the The Sun as being the biggest selling newspaper in the UK.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it was indeed great to have them at Glasto I am getting a bit fed up of their fans going on like they were 500million times better than everyone else and slagging off everyone else now.

I thought their performance was the weakest of the three Pyramid headliners.

That said, Kasabian weren't anywhere near as good as the opinion they have of themselves. the good bits were very good, but the set hit a real flat spot in the middle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Kasabian at all, but it's nice to see how much that meant to them. Pretty special.

That said, the lead singer's voice is sub par at best, and the same goes for the music. Had a much more enjoyable time watching James Blake and London Grammar. Perfect for a Sunday evening.

Let the speculation for 2015 begin. 3 headliners already confirmed, one being a British singer, with an non-British band, according to Michael. Fleetwood Mac? AC/DC?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's one of the reasons I won't give Kasabian any of my attention.
    Apart from finding them dull, they seem cocky and up themselves. As with the Arctic Monkeys.
    Obviously a performer generally needs to be confident but some just come across as arrogant.

I liked Metallica and thought they were better than most there, they didn't blow me away though.
    Think its been poor this year.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching Metallica last night it all seems a bit of an anti climax today. Maybe they need to get more rock and metal acts as there doesn't seem to be many decent indie acts these days. It's all gone a bit hipster :confused:
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ellie Goulding's backing singer hates her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Love london grammar..amazing!
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I didn't know that Chvrches were classed as old farts. The singer looked recently out of school to me.
    I was surprised at how good Blondie were but Robert Plant was absolutely dreadful, embarrassing even. I've never heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela so can't comment on him/her/them. I suppose the Manics count as old codgers now and I'm afraid they sounded it.

I don't own any Mogwai albums but I'll be putting that right very soon.

Listen to the soundtrack they made for the french TV show The Returned while you're at it, too!
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Sorry but I agree as well. The argument about them being very popular and having sold lots of records is not evidence of their music having any particular merit. Whenever people use evidence of sales as greatness I always refer to the The Sun as being the biggest selling newspaper in the UK.

I think the point about popularity and record sales was addressing the suggestion that Metallica wouldn't go down well at Glastonbury - rather than the merits of their music.

I thought it was a valid point as with 200,000 punters in attendance, there's bound to be at least a few thousand who enjoy a bit of heavy metal and were going to relish the opportunity of seeing such a high-profile band of the genre, and more than a few who own Metallica albums.

I'm far from being a heavy metal fan myself, but had I been there, I'd probably have gone along to see them. (I'd have been tempted by Bryan Ferry, but I've seen him live before.) As it was, I watched their set on the telly and quite enjoyed it.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rawr12345 wrote: »
    Love london grammar..amazing!

agreed, probably the best act for Sunday
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look I like Metallica as such, but sorry, with all due respect most of their their songs like most metal bands are just onslaughts of thrash distorted power chords with a big wanky solo at the end.
    Music made by Meccano.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Her performance of 9-5 at Glastonbury is exactly the same as her performances of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsRNtJ72GyA

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLkM-OkXBIU

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOL9_vB379Q

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPlPebGXyhg

etc.

So, yeah, she definitely mimes.

Her spokesperson has denied it, plus I don't think Eavis would let her anyway. Maybe she just sings it in that way occasionally.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    Let the speculation for 2015 begin. 3 headliners already confirmed, one being a British singer, with an non-British band, according to Michael. Fleetwood Mac? AC/DC?

Adele?
    Bon Jovi?

LOL.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brush wrote: »
    Then I might watch some Disclosure seeing as Massive Attack don't want the Beeb to film.

So is that why they weren't shown on tv tonight?? I wondered what happened to them!
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    St Vincent - enjoyed this massively.

One of the highlights of Glastonbury for me, not only is he an original artist, but a great guitarist too
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Watched Dolly yesterday and I have to say it was amazing. I was surprised at the turnout and then to read later it was 100,000 and the most ever (i think) was shocking because i never thought that style of music was so popular. A great set and Dolly seems such a down to earth girl.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is one genre that deserves to be played at Glastonbury it is heavy metal, it's a British sound through and through, yes other countries developed it but we invented it, so it's fitting that heavy metal finally got an outing, way way overdue.

And Metallica were bloody fantastic. If you think all their songs have no light and shade or variation in tempo then you clearly have no ear for sound or music.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    And Metallica were bloody fantastic. If you think all their songs have no light and shade or variation in tempo then you clearly have no ear for sound or music.

It's not that I dislike them or their music, I just didn't think they were very good.