Dog wont stay home alone.

Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
Forum Member
We have a 2 coming on to 3 year old staffy. He did live with my son but both have now come to live in our flat but we can't leave him alone in a cage even for an hour two to go the shop or whatever.

Can this be fixed or are we doomed to always have someone with him? :confused:

Edit to add:
The problem is he cries and/or howls.

Comments

• JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucozade76 wrote: »
    We have a 2 coming on to 3 year old staffy. He did live with my son but both have now come to live in our flat but we can't leave him alone in a cage even for an hour two to go the shop or whatever.

Can this be fixed or are we doomed to always have someone with him? :confused:

Edit to add:
    The problem is he cries and/or howls.

Pretty sure it can be fixed. Have you tried leaving him for a few mins at a time and building it up?
  • Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it can be fixed. Have you tried leaving him for a few mins at a time and building it up?

Yes, but we've just has him a week.

I remember this Dog Whisperer from TV.
    He's pretty weird but good at his job.

Common sense advice here which we are working on:

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/dogtraining/Dealing-with-Separation-Anxiety-by-Martin-Deeley
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly would ignore anything Cesar Milan says.

I spent a while working through pretty severe separation anxiety with my staffy cross.

There are lots of things you can do.

Use an Adaptil or Pet Remedy Diffuser, or even Zylkene (a natural medication to aid relaxation).
    Encourage him to be independent, ignore him if he follows you around, shut him in the one room when you are in another, don't allow him to sleep in your room etc.

Also you need to desensitise him to any signs you are about to leave - eg. putting coat on, finding keys, locking up etc. So when you leave him he is fairly relaxed.
    Walk him before you go out if possible so he has spent a bit of energy.

They start leaving him for maybe 30 seconds, then build up slowly. If he is panicking, you are going too fast.

Crate training is another option if you have space.

Never shout at him for crying, it will make his anxiety worse.
  • Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Similar advice to Caesar in the link I posted and a little more. thanks. :)

Edit to add:
    I am not sure I'd condone drugging any animal just to keep them quiet though. :o:kitty:
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog never had much of a problem with me going out, but from early on I used to throw a bit of kibble/biscuit on the floor just before leaving. She was so busy devouring it she never took any notice of me going! Plus my going out developed good associations :D
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog never had much of a problem with me going out, but from early on I used to throw a bit of kibble/biscuit on the floor just before leaving. She was so busy devouring it she never took any notice of me going! Plus my going out developed good associations :D

While the food is there the dog will be quiet. Too busy eating. But try standing outside after the food has gone and you just might find a different story.

My dog barely noticed us leaving but as soon as the food was gone she would howl and whine until we got home. I've heard how hoarse she has been after being left so she clearly keeps on howling for most if not all of the time we are gone.

We have given up on leaving her and take her to my parents to be baby sat if we are going out.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    My first dog lived for 15 years and barked constantly every single time he was left alone - which was almost every day when we were at work. At first, we were able to leave the radio on - human voices soothed him - but then he started howling to music (every single kind of music, including TV theme tunes) so we had to stop that. It was an absolute nuisance and I pitied my neighbors, and the dog never got out of the habit regardless of any training we sent him for or tried ourselves.

If he isn't a howler, try leaving the radio on. And pray he isn't like my old pup.