Options

Are you afraid of the dark?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When darkness falls and all the lights go out does a foreboding anxiety take over.

Does the small creak you hear turn into a supine monster concealed in the shadows under your bed. Usually it's not the dark itself, but what's concealed in the dark that fuels our fears.

Some believe that this grinding anxiety is a good thing, a limiting mechanism against reckless behaviour in the dark. Predators prefer the cover of darkness to hunt and our fear stems from the subconscious absolute: stay out of the dark because that's where the danger is.

Generally the dark holds little fear for me but i do get the odd anxiety knot on occasion, especially after watching a particularly scary horror film. Reaching out into a darkened room, grasping for the light switch, sometimes sends goosepimples down my arm.

The one thing that did scare me when i was a child was my bedroom had the loft hatch in the ceiling. When the lights went out i always imagined the hatch creaking open slowly with something unknown looking out from the attic.

Are you afraid of the dark?

Comments

• Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I usually have to be in total darkness to get off to sleep and when I have a migraine, the dark is like cool balm on my head and body. When I was a kid, I used to see a 'witch in a wall' thrown by the shadows of the light from my bedroom. When the lights went out, she'd disappear. Sometimes, though, when there are eerie sounds in total darkness, I do get a bit anxious until I work out what it is (usually foxes!!!). Sometimes, even at 44, I love curling up into a ball under the covers. I suppose it's some kind of throwback to being in the womb or something primal like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    No. I usually have to be in total darkness to get off to sleep and when I have a migraine, the dark is like cool balm on my head and body. When I was a kid, I used to see a 'witch in a wall' thrown by the shadows of the light from my bedroom. When the lights went out, she'd disappear. Sometimes, though, when there are eerie sounds in total darkness, I do get a bit anxious until I work out what it is (usually foxes!!!). Sometimes, even at 44, I love curling up into a ball under the covers. I suppose it's some kind of throwback to being in the womb or something primal like that.

The pop singer?

Regarding 'the witch in the bedroom'. Sometimes unfortunate juxtapositions in the gloom do throw up scary figures. There's a vase and flowers in our bedroom that turns into a witch at night time due to the play of light and shadow. Total darkness banishes the witch. So darkness whilst i'm in bed is quite welcome but darkness when i'm measuring an abandoned buildings basement is a different matter.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Normally I like sleeping in complete darkness as the littlest light or sound will keep me awake but when I've watched a horror movie being in the dark scares the hell out of me and I have to run to each room after I switch off the light in the previous one.

Often in my Nan's house when I'm going up the stairs in the dark I feel really creeped out and have to sing or make a noise until I get to the light switch on the top landing.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once, way back in the 70's.
    My wife was away and I was in bed late at night reading "The Exorcist" and it had "got" me.
    I had to cross the room to turn out the light.
    I poised with one finger on the switch and got as close to the bed as I could.
    I flicked the switch, bolted under the duvet and let out a scream to release the tension.
    It took a while to look out from under the duvet as I was convinced I would see something in the room.
    :o:o:o

I'm a big boy now though :D
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    The pop singer?

Regarding 'the witch in the bedroom'. Sometimes unfortunate juxtapositions in the gloom do throw up scary figures. There's a vase and flowers in our bedroom that turns into a witch at night time due to the play of light and shadow. Total darkness banishes the witch. So darkness whilst i'm in bed is quite welcome but darkness when i'm measuring an abandoned buildings basement is a different matter.

Ah, well yes. That would be different. I guess my point is that, generally speaking, I don't mind the dark. I don't mind walking the dog alone on dark nights and stuff but, yeah, I doubt I'd take him into some very dark, abandoned, secluded area.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I love the dark. I have a weirdly good sense of direction in the dark if i need to get up late at night for any reason.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really.

Although I have, on occasion been a bit nervous about what may be hidden in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Wikihow page with tips on how not to be afraid of the dark.

http://www.wikihow.com/Not-Be-Afraid-of-the-Dark

Point number 9 is blatantly wrong. 'Remember that a supposed murderer or monster can't see in the dark either. Surely they'd just fumble about and bump into things'.

What about those monsters that live in caves who have enhanced senses or the muderer who is wearing night vision goggles. Schoolboy error there Wikihow.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

I'm always embarrassed to admit that I'm more afraid of being in a clinical white room or in a place outside, like a snow-covered field. I don't know why, but the sheer whiteness unnerves me.

I think that's why I enjoy watching horror films that take place in the snow - The Thing, Whiteout and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Nope.

I'm always embarrassed to admit that I'm more afraid of being in a clinical white room or in a place outside, like a snow-covered field. I don't know why, but the sheer whiteness unnerves me.

I think that's why I enjoy watching horror films that take place in the snow - The Thing, Whiteout and so on.

Yes, these fears aren't always black and white.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the dark, it allows me to open the loft hatch and spy on those down below
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Not since I became an adult and switched to rational thinking.

Darkness is not something that requires any fear as it is just a state. It may require caution if you are required to move about in it, but the actual darkness can do you no harm at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Not since I became an adult and switched to rational thinking.

Darkness is not something that requires any fear as it is just a state. It may require caution if you are required to move about in it, but the actual darkness can do you no harm at all.
    Unfortunately, we're not all robots.

I used to be afraid of the dark, but now I'm not. I grew out of it by the time I was 45...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we're not all robots.

I used to be afraid of the dark, but now I'm not. I grew out of it by the time I was 45...:D

Then the title should have been "Are you IRRATIONALLY afraid of XXXXX"

As adults we have many emotions which make us wonderful creatures that are not robots, but an effort should be made to purge all irrational nonsense from our minds.

We can lead more happy productive lives then.
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i love the dark, darker the better for me !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not generally, no. Although there have been a few times where I've laid alone in bed in the dark and had a really strong feeling that there was someone else in the room even though I knew there wasn't. Weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As adults we have many emotions which make us wonderful creatures that are not robots, but an effort should be made to purge all irrational nonsense from our minds.

It might be quite difficult to purge our fear of the dark (or what's in it) from our minds. Scientists believe that anxiety associated with darkness lies deeply rooted in our psyche due to evolutionary development. This is the result of generation upon generation of early humans reacting to and subsequently preparing for dangers that lurk in the darkness.

Generally I know that there is nothing to be afraid of in the darkness but on the odd occasion i still get that foreboding sense that something is lurking just out of sight. Maybe my ancient ancestral genes are calling out to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member

How can you have all the BIB in the same sentence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "dangers that lurk in the darkness."

Over-emotional personification at its best. Dangers are present, they don't lurk as they have no mind to do anything.

And all the dangers are man made and as a result of walking mindlessly around in the dark instead of cautiously and then inventing that it wasn't their own actions but that of an imagined malevolent thing within the darkness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    How can you have all the BIB in the same sentence?

Economy of sentence structure. :D
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I'm not normally afraid of the dark but sometimes I get asked to do overtime at one of our clinic buildings. It's quite old and during the winter starting at 6 a.m. there is not nice! It's pitch black in there and because I'd be the first one in I have to switch all the lights on which are not near the front door! It's quite a spooky place even with the lights on and I'm constantly stopping what I'm doing on hearing imaginary noises and think 'omg what was that??'! :o......:D
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an interesting thread because when I was a child I had a deep fear of the dark that stemmed from when I was 3 and while being babysat by my aunt and her then-boyfriend he locked me in my parents bedroom with the light off and held the door closed from the outside so I couldn't get out. He thought it was funny, my aunt had been on the phone and threw him out of the house when she got off the phone. But it terrified me and until I was about 10 mum had to sit beside my bed before I could go to sleep at night. Don't think my aunt ever told mum what had happened. After that I could go to sleep so long as dad left the adjoining bathroom light on all night.

Then when I was 12 I was allowed to sit up one night and watched a horror film called 'Trilogy of Terror' - the one with Karen Black being chased around her flat by a demon voodoo doll. Well that really capped it for me - I could not sleep for looking down the hallway from my bed for a demon doll to come running after me. I was not getting to sleep until almost 5 in the morning and then going to school! I was 17 before I could sleep without the bathroom light on and that was because I had left school and was working and getting a wider perspective on things - when 'rational thought kicked in' as a previous poster put it so well. I have to admit though that even today I don't like pitch blackness and if I've watched a creepy film I tend to lie there beside my snoring husband for a bit just listening for a sound before I drift off. The Blair Witch Project gave me such a moment :blush:
    But it was a deeply unpleasant aspect of an otherwise very happy childhood.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never stopped and thought about this until recently but I'd say yes I am afraid of the dark (I'm also afraid of most of the other usual things people are afraid of too.)

If I have to walk from one side of the house to the other in the dark, every possible light along the way needs to go on, without any time spent looking into the darkness.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the light because I can see better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    We have spent the past 33 years sleeping with the side light on, hubby needs a light on to sleep. Last night he was working nights so I decided in my wisdom to turn all the lights off and try to get to sleep. No sleep and what was that? what the hell is that? Ellie are you ok.....come to bed with mummy. Never again I was totally freaked out. :D