Out of sync issue on HD channels

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
Forum Member
Anyone else getting this issue, were all the HD channels are a bit out of sync, though SD channels are fine.

Comments

• johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha I thought it was me, my box has been doing this for a few days now, thanks for the reply at least it's NOT my box
  • CurlyCurly Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    I watched Jonathan Ross on BBC HD last Friday. It was so badly out of sync that I had to switch to SD. Very annoying.
  • Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Yes, BBC HD for me too :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I find ITV1 HD almost unwatchable most of the time! Highly annoying, anyone any ideas how to remedy?
    P.S. my box is less than 2 weeks old as new installation
  • ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This issue has been ongoing for quite some time now; last night I ended up watching the BBC HD football half time analysis on BBC1 SD as the HD channel was so badly out of sync - you don't really notice the sync so much during play except when the commentator shouts "goal" just as the striker hits the ball:)

Previously, I've had to delete a film recorded on Film4 HD as the lips moving out of sync with the sound rendered it unwatchable.

There's no point in phoning Virgin just to be told it's a problem with my set up or my amp. Hopefully a member of their management team will eventually spot this problem for themselves and get it sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the Samsung V+ has an audio delay on it, used to have Sky HD and always remember this feature being a life saver. Thankfully my new amp has its own audio delay on it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote: »
    This issue has been ongoing for quite some time now; last night I ended up watching the BBC HD football half time analysis on BBC1 SD as the HD channel was so badly out of sync - you don't really notice the sync so much during play except when the commentator shouts "goal" just as the striker hits the ball:)

Previously, I've had to delete a film recorded on Film4 HD as the lips moving out of sync with the sound rendered it unwatchable.

There's no point in phoning Virgin just to be told it's a problem with my set up or my amp. Hopefully a member of their management team will eventually spot this problem for themselves and get it sorted.

Queried for you.
    Forum Member
    Faultsman wrote: »
    Queried for you.

Meanwhile, go into Set-up & switch off AD (Audio Descriptors)
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Anyone else getting this issue, were all the HD channels are a bit out of sync, though SD channels are fine.

I am sure this is due to the difference in processing time with PCM bitstreams. (May be wrong). The same sort of thing happens with DAB. I've noticed that even 2 different DAB radios process the signal at different rates.

Most modern amps have a lip sync facility (mine doesn't and needs replacing). The SKY HD box has a lip sync facility built in. When are we going to get this from Virgin?
  • ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queried for you.

btw, the audio description setting is currently set to "off"
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm or otherwise please?

If you see this Lip-Sync issue, is it all OK if you change channel away from the affected channel to a non-affected channel, then back again to the channel with the problem?

I also see that customers state BBC HD, ITV HD & Film4 HD are affected, any other channels affected?
  • mikey1947mikey1947 Posts: 86
    Forum Member

If you see this Lip-Sync issue, is it all OK if you change channel away from the affected channel to a non-affected channel, then back again to the channel with the problem?

I also see that customers state BBC HD, ITV HD & Film4 HD are affected, any other channels affected?

I'm pleased to say that we don't have a problem with any HD channels:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try BBC HD's The One Show at 7pm. Slightly out of sync every night. I have no external amp or sound system, and no problem on any other HD channels. Other BBC HD non-studio programmes okay.
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    There is an issue with the HD channels on audio..

BBC HD does correct itself after a while, but you hear this static 1, 2, 3 thingy and then it corrects itself.

But the others like ITV HD seems to be just out of sync.. I think someone at VM has to sort this out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not have this problem either using direct TV sound or external amp?

All HD channels are always perfectly in sync.

The BBC HD preview that is on during the day broadcasts an audio sync analyser for 2 mins every 2 hours.

I think it might help if all posters gave some idea of their location as I am always suspicious that this may be localised or as a result of the various legacy cable systems that VM acquired.

Mine for example was NTL and originally Cambridge Cable.
  • Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    56up wrote: »
    Most modern amps have a lip sync facility (mine doesn't and needs replacing).

That's true, but the vast majority are only able to delay audio - and the problem is often that video is ahead of audio, which means adding additional audio delay only makes thing worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've noticed the issue on recordings of CSI Miami on Five HD the last couple of weeks.
    Forum Member
    I noticed that 'Pearl Harbour' on one of the Sky Movie HD channels was out of sync yesterday. It was fine on the SD channel.
    Forum Member
    See Post 12 & let me know :-
    Your town / Area (not address or anything)
    Channels you see it on
    If permanent or intermittent
    If it goes OK if you change channel & go back.
    Forum Member
    See Post 12 & let me know :-
    Your town / Area (not address or anything)
    Channels you see it on
    If permanent or intermittent
    If it goes OK if you change channel & go back.

Hampton Middlesex TW12

BBC HD. Sky Movies HD. Film 4 HD. (These are the channels I've noticed).

All intermittent. Changing channels and going back does not help.
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Essex SS17
    BBC HD
    ITV HD
    All intermittent. Changing channels and going back does not help.
    BBC HD sometimes has a static sound, like a 1 2 3 count down and then the lip sync resets itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The channels are nationally broadcast - there is nothing I can think of that can cause the audio to become out of sync on a regional basis. The different networks certainly wouldn't.

It would be interesting to know if the issues are related to one particular make/model of set-top box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem in Bolton - ex NTL/C&W.

All HD channels seem to be out of sync from time to time, BBC is sometimes okay, sometimes not, but ITV HD is unwatchable all the time.

Changing channel back and forth seems to make no difference, nor does a re-boot.

SD channels all seem okay and I'm using not using any external amp.

This has put me off opting for the sky sports HD deal for the time being.
    Forum Member
    Buffalo wrote: »
    The channels are nationally broadcast - there is nothing I can think of that can cause the audio to become out of sync on a regional basis. The different networks certainly wouldn't.

It would be interesting to know if the issues are related to one particular make/model of set-top box.

ITV & BBC offerings can be locally sourced for local weather, news etc.
    Forum Member
    I have forwarded the information provided by the Customers above, thanks for the input, always appreciated.