Political Animals - US Pace

Comments

• DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kicks off 15th of July.

Fringe's Blair Brown will guest in episode 5 :)
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does everyone think?

It was good, definitely... I think I like it better then Sunday night's other "workplace" drama, Newsroom
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Mixed feeling about it, but I rank it WAY below The Newsroom. Political Animals' pilot had some decent enough lines, but it was not smart, and looked cheap and blandly directed and photographed. Also, the British actor playing Bud Hammond, the ex-president, was terribly miscast. He appeared more like an oily cartoon villain than a man who could ever have been a beloved president in the US.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Densino wrote: »
    So what does everyone think?

It was good, definitely... I think I like it better then Sunday night's other "workplace" drama, Newsroom

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2012/07/16/political-animals-the-newsroom/

Ken Tucker at the EW and most other critics agree with you.
  • The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Mixed feeling about it, but I rank it WAY below The Newsroom. Political Animals' pilot had some decent enough lines, but it was not smart, and looked cheap and blandly directed and photographed. Also, the British actor playing Bud Hammond, the ex-president, was terribly miscast. He appeared more like an oily cartoon villain than a man who could ever have been a beloved president in the US.

Completely agree, however, I was oddly content by the end of the first episode and I'm still not entirely sure as to why (Trainwreck telly? Sebastian Stan?). I would definitely not rank it above The Newsroom which, in my opinion, is an unjust comparison in the first place seeing as the two shows have barely anything in common. The Newsroom is perspicacious and rotund while Political Animals teeters on the edge of tacky and outmoded. Moreover, I could ream quote upon quote from The Newsroom's memorable and sharp dialogue, whereas with Political Animals the first thing that I remember is the baffling dress sense of the character that Sigourney is playing.

While I'm here I'd also like to point out that the assassination of The Newsroom by the critics is both caitiff, unjustified, and not at all surprising considering the suzerains that said critics are working for. There's definitely intent to the debilitation.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm - ex First Lady, with a womanising husband, runs for president and becomes Secretary of State. Hardly the most original of premises is it? May have well called it "Hilary: The Series"

I thought it was OK and may be a passable summer filler but the writing and acting were clunky at times and the production values were more "daytime soap" than "primetime drama".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The USA network has uploaded the first full episode on YouTube for anyone who is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCA8V41zwQw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this as I liked Brothers and Sisters and Dirty Sexy Money which Greg Berlanti has previously worked on. It's a lot soapier than I thought it would be and it seems like it will be good fun. On the down side, some of the production values where they were obviously using green screen looked really cheap. They were up there with the green screen in the pilot episode of Ringer.

Does anyone know if we are getting six episodes of this only? Or is the miniseries being aired to test the waters for a full series?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The top-notch cast make this seem better than it really is. The script is clunky compared to Newsroom and the lesser characters are mostly dull stereotypes: gay druggie son, bulimic daughter-in- law. So far, nothing new.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Political Animals based on a BBC2 tv show or am i mistaken?
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Isn't Political Animals based on a BBC2 tv show or am i mistaken?

I think you may be thinking of Party Animals? It's the same genre of political drama but it's a completely different premise from what I recall. It focused on different staff members in Briish parliament rather than the first family.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone make it to the end?

OK, it may not have been the best thing in the world but I think it worked as a summer season mini-series. The acting and production standards were far too "low budget daytime soap" for my liking but I still found it a guilty pleasure (and Carla Gugino is always worth watching)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Did anyone make it to the end?

OK, it may not have been the best thing in the world but I think it worked as a summer season mini-series. The acting and production standards were far too "low budget daytime soap" for my liking but I still found it a guilty pleasure (and Carla Gugino is always worth watching)

I've still got the last 3 episodes to watch, finding them a bit of a chore.

Agree about Carla Gugino though.